Universal Ire - Blood Memory (by 10Birds)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, May 13, 2015.

1. KeKhan

KeKhan Well-Known Member

May 28, 2012
    This is not your typical freemium game. There's no energy bars and all that.
    It's basically a free PREMIUM game, and the IAP is a donation button that gives you stuff.

There is a great write up a few pages back (should be added to the first post) that explains the devs choices in this matter.

2. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    I have tried the game, and it definitely has freemium monetization. Also, freemium does not immediately mean energy timers.

3. KeKhan

KeKhan Well-Known Member

May 28, 2012
    Yes, there is IAP, but as the devs explained its more of a reward for donating to the cause. It's nothing that you can't get just by playing.

What people hate most about "freemium" games are the "barriers to gameplay" that are designed to essentially frustrate people into paying for the game. Timers, energy bars, lives, paywalls, etc.
    This game avoids that, so while semantically yes it's a freemium game, it does not play like one.

They just wanted to reach a wider audience as an unknown company releasing their first game, allowing people to try it for free and donate whatever they deem worthy. I commend this approach.

4. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Selling cosmetic iAPs is closer to "donations" than selling moonbux. Either way, there's no point to furthering this discussion. I'll just agree to disagree and enjoy Legend of Grimrock instead.

5. mwryu

mwryu Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Game Concept Developer
    Seoul
    @Zynaerys @forsakenxe:
    Evading time is a bit different between the type of weapons you wield. This is something that we keep fiddling around with and calibrating. If it's something other than that, which probably is, the smoothness or that slight pause might be something we are attempting to strangle out of Unity3d. Ah! Any Unity3d people here? We need your tech support! Creating tight controls is like trying to hammer wire out of a diamond.

6. mwryu

mwryu Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Game Concept Developer
    Seoul
    @Edmilan and for those still gathering information about Ire:
    - Character creation : Currently one character type. I am not sure if muscular male with deep voice or muscular female with deep voice. I think it's male (j/k). We haven't added a female/feminine character as of yet. Devs are bickering about design. Actually, the conversation is quite heated. Sexiness, boobies, arms, legs, hips, proportion, atmosphere, mesh, hit boxes, etc. The list goes on and on. It hasn't been decided yet. Fun Fact: A good deal of the conceptual direction comes from a Mom working on game design. Some of her frustration with raising a very picky toddler has made it into a lot of this game. She's a good mom, and I am sure any Mom/Dad could relate.

- Choices of weapons: Melee (Impact Gauntlet, Giant Sword, Guardian Lance). We having been testing a type of short-mid range weapon, but it seems a bit tricky. We want to add more as soon as we can.

7. mwryu

mwryu Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Game Concept Developer
    Seoul
    GAME CONTROLLER COMMENT (i.e. MFi): @iAient is in control! This is something that we will add to the to-do list.

8. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #68 Ayjona, May 14, 2015
    Last edited: May 14, 2015
    I haven't come far enough to comment on any severe limitations or hard caps that might arise from the freemium mechanics (though one pal of mine mirrors PeteOzzy's comments: no limitations in sight, no impassable challenges, not after many hours and some serious fighting and levelling), but there is nothing freemium about the combat mechanics.

So for those of you looking for the finest possible action-RPG melee fighting experience for the platform (together with Wayward Souls, and to a more hacknslash-y extent, Implosion), this is probably it.

And the Dark Souls analogy is not a bad one. The focus on timing and reading monster behaviour, the interplay between combos, weapon-specific mechanics and both block and dodge, and the relatively slow, weighted, kinetic sensation of swings and manouevers, makes for an etremely skill-based, and skill-rewarding, fighting sensation.

9. mwryu

mwryu Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Game Concept Developer
    Seoul
    @poppichicken:
    Bloodborne, I want to go to there (I am a huge Liz Lemon fan). We very much appreciate the encouragement.
    - Combat: The Souls series were a huge inspiration when it came to combat mechanics/dynamics. Many things were observed, only a few seemed reasonable to redefine for mobile. Parry and reposte was obviously not going to make it into this version. Mob attack types/patterns, intervals/angles, pivot rate, behavior depending on range, spatial/situational awareness were some of the things we wanted to introduce in Ire for the mobile platform.
    - Progression System: Heavily influenced by Monster Hunter.

10. mwryu

mwryu Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Game Concept Developer
    Seoul
    @Ayjona: This subject came up early in development. I think it's worthwhile mentioning again. Hope I don't get shot down.

11. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Stockholm, Sweden
    So no way for now? No worries, tons of fun is being had regardless :)

12. mwryu

mwryu Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Game Concept Developer
    Seoul
    @sapphire_neo @KeKhan @Ayjona:

F2P/IAP/Freemium/Microtransactions: I believe Nexon was one of the first, if not the first, company to introduce microtransactions to games. From there on everything went downhill. I am embarrassed and a bit blue to say that our indiedev perpetuates this and haven't really found a way to curb it. I feel that everyone here has valid points. I understand /u/sapphire_neo and it is a good point IMO: Selling cosmetic IAPs is closer to "donations." And to a large degree I very much agree. We did think of that, and I personally think that this would have been a great path to take. What greatly hindered this option was: someone would have to write/create a concept for an item, someone would have to illustrate it, people would have to decide upon many items, in some cases the item would have to fit into the game concept/design somehow, someone would have to model the item, another would have to do the texture, someone would have to check and see that it fit properly with other different things, etc., compounded by the amount of items and the number of people working on such things. Even digital cosmetic items require concepts, planning, skilled labor, assembly/processing, time, resources, and good leadership to do it--things we lack a lot of.

But, let me make it clear: We aren't saints. Yes, we would like to be good and honest people. But any way you cut it F2P/IAP/Freemium/Microtransactions is as much a "business model" as any. If we can ease off on it we will. However, we are here to be profitable--at least to a point where we can sustain ourselves. We make games full-time. Crafting games does not always come cheap, especially on a production like this. By industry estimates here in Seoul we cut 75% of the amount of funds that were required to develop this game, with 1/5 the personnel needed--I believe you call it a shoestring budget(?). Please, don't get me wrong. I am not here to defend IAP or what we are doing here, nor am I here to say that I feel very wrong about what we are doing. This is an ongoing debate in the industry, and we ourselves fight about this all the time. It will always be controversial. But if anything, I wanted to provide context. And more importantly, yes, you are right, people are entitled to their own opinions and way of action. That is all.

Sorry for what seemed like heavy subject matter. Ah, I do hope that I am not a killjoy. Here, let me buy all of you an imaginary beer/soda/coffee/tea/aqua!

13. mwryu

mwryu Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Game Concept Developer
    Seoul
    #73 mwryu, May 14, 2015
    Last edited: May 14, 2015
    Ire Blood Memory Starship Troopers Preview (Clean)

https://youtu.be/K5UtYOQDSfM

On a lighter matter, our metadata was deemed inappropriate by the good people of Apple. This caused a delay in our game release. All promotional mediums presented on the App Store should be ages 4+. So we came up with this idea. Do you think it would be approved? Or do you think that it would be regarded as cheeky. Either way, we are afraid to upload this with our screenshots on the App Store. What say you?

14. EggYolkeo

EggYolkeo Active Member

Jan 8, 2014
    I can't wait to give this a try but it won't run on my iPhone 6? Freezes when I try to sign in with Game Center or as a guest. What am I doing wrong?

15. HelperMonkey

HelperMonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Iowa
    Side note about IAPs- In the in-game FAQ they are referred to as IPA. To me, as a beer drinker, IPA means India pale ale. It's TOTALLY distracting. (Though I would gladly debate the value of an India pale ale in relation to the enjoyment of a good video game.)

16. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Stockholm, Sweden
    This is great stuff. Hearing the sentiments and intentions of devs themselves is immensely useful to a sometimes worried or aggravated gaming community.

(That said, like I pointed out a few pages back, so far I've seen NO signs that IAP is necessary, and early reports indicate they never become essential.)

I like it. It might actually be good marketing, in that self-ironic but also intriguing way.

17. Lol I like it.
    Side note -- I noticed in there two characters attacking a boss. Is that multiplayer co-op? I haven't played yet (on my do-do list for today) and just wondering what that's about.

18. Alexythimia23

Alexythimia23 Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2012
    As soon as i saw the gameplay, you can tell a good quality fun game. I really didnt need impressions im a pretty good judge for an instant download, so anyone on the fence?...... Stop fekin reading this and download! Im personally buying some iap just to show some support, so show some love guys so we can keep getting this sort of quality, peace out ✌#️

19. mwryu

mwryu Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Game Concept Developer
    Seoul
    Ire Blood Memory 1st Boss Fight

https://youtu.be/DVtQ4ichABI

Easier to see what's going on, overall gameplay and first boss fight for those curious.

20. mwryu

mwryu Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Game Concept Developer
    Seoul
    @HelperMonkey:
    I think I was craving an IPA at the time--36hour day. Indica is predominant here in Seoul. And fixed that for you just now.