iPod Touch SPACE

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by ItzWei, Dec 29, 2008.

1. ItzWei

ItzWei Active Member

Dec 14, 2008
    It's a 1st gen 8gb one.
    it has the usual music, video, photo, app content and all
    then this HUGE bar of orange (Other) content, worth 4.07gb.
    WHAT IS THIS~?
    I can't access my iPod Touch through explorer, so harddrive stuff is out of hte question
    what could it possibly be?
    waaaaaaaaahhhhhhh i need my space!

2. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    For me, "other" content is only around 100MB (200, I forget), so I think it's just firmware. No idea why you have 4GB of it...wait. Isn't orange the colour used for music?

3. ItzWei

ItzWei Active Member

Dec 14, 2008
    noo, other is definitely orange for me
    nontheless, it's the Other that is taking up (now) 3.9gb space

(firmware is 2.2)

maybe it's app content (like saved games?)?
    which game/app is notorious for huge Other content?

4. Thorero

Thorero Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Graphic Designer, 3D Modeller, Web Design
    Portugal
    Mine is:

437.7 MB Blue(Audio)

2.5 GB Purple(Video)

18.8 MB Yellow(Pictures)

1.06 GB Green(Apps)

337.5 MB Orange(Other)

2.68 GB White(Free Space)

Which leads me to think that Orange(Other) is saved data, favorites, notes, and all that sort of thing.

5. AndyL

AndyL Well-Known Member

I think that the other content consists of your emails, the original apps(weather,stocks,calculator,etc...) and downloadable levels for games.

6. max rimstain

max rimstain Member

Dec 30, 2008
    i ve had this problem before, it usually occurs when a itunes sync is disturbed half way through, but its always fixed during the next sync if it doesnt, just let iTunes do a back up and then restore the device and chose restore from backup, works for me!

7. Fazzy

Fazzy Well-Known Member

If you have Tap Tap and download all the songs that takes up a lot of space...

8. ItzWei

ItzWei Active Member

Dec 14, 2008
    the thing is, my sync wont work, it starts for 1-2 seconds, then stops

9. Fazzy

Fazzy Well-Known Member

Take it to Apple, see what they can do with it... Obviously this is a software error, not something you did.

10. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    Oh. Haven't synced my iTouch for a while...maybe I should back it up now.

11. ItzWei

ItzWei Active Member

Dec 14, 2008
    lol, but will they wipe my ipod clean? i need all my saved games/photos :( (they're both unbacked up)
    will they GIVE ME A NEW 2g IPOD TOUCH!?

12. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    I'm not sure what they'll do with it. But if they do swap for another iPod, it'd probably be a refurbished 2G.

13. ItzWei

ItzWei Active Member

Dec 14, 2008
    i deleted all the games with the downloadable levels (taptap, enigmo, etc), and it went down .02gbs
    what could 4gbs possibly be!?

14. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

Tap Tap .mp3s. Mine aren't so large, but who knows. The 75+ songs shouldn't take up that much room. I'd do a backup and restore. It will save all of your game stuff. And if you back it up, you can do that with a new iPod as well.

15. ItzWei

ItzWei Active Member

Dec 14, 2008
    i'll just back it up, and for some reason, (when i told itunes to make room for my TV show purchases to transfer over to my ipod) it took out a huge chunk (.7gbs) of the Other category
    but yeah, it's backing up (finally), and i'll restore tomorrow

16. Maeks

Maeks Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    I've had this sort of problem on both iPods I've owned, 1st Gen. Nano and now the Touch.

While it does sound like yours is abnormal and I'd follow the recommendations of the people here, I'll say that with the Nano, something was definately wrong, space was disappearing at an alarming rate. 13mb would go missing, then the next sync it'd be 20, I ended up restoring it.

With the Touch, I haven' had anything as serious as that, but every once in a while the orange bar will be abnormally large. When I first got Katamari, it failed to install because the Touch was full, so I cancelled it, and I have suspicions that that aborted install was put into the orange range for a little bit.

But more often than not, it ends up being some bug in the way iTunes displays the information. I've had it where it seems more like it just hasn't registered that, say, you've put 400mb of video on it, so it just categorizes it into "other", and then the next sync it has it right with 400mb in video. For example.

17. ItzWei

ItzWei Active Member

Dec 14, 2008
    i don't know, i don't use 3.37gbs for anything, (no videos), not music, not apps

18. spmwinkel

spmwinkel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    I've got:
    4,63 GB Audio
    60 MB Video
    14,9 MB Photos
    713,5 MB Apps
    199,6 MB Other
    1,49 GB Free

And I DO have all the Tap Tap songs downloaded. So if they take up space from the Other section, it can't be more than 200 MB.