iPod Touch headphone jack

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by HardcoreEricXXX, Mar 1, 2009.

1. HardcoreEricXXX

HardcoreEricXXX Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
    For the past 6 months, the headphone jack on my iPod touch will only send sound through one channel. A little wiggling used to bring sound through both earbuds, but now it won't hold the sound. Almost like there is two prongs that touch each side of the jack when it's in the headphone port, but they dont touch anymore, like they have spaced themselves further then the jack. It is no longer covered by warrenty, and to have it serviced is the same price as going out and getting a new 8gig.
    Has anyone experianced the same problem and came up with a good fix-it-yourself. I want to wrap aluminum foil around the jack, but am afraid of causing further damage. Thanks for the feedback.

2. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008

Never happened with my old iPod, and I had it for a while. What type of earbuds/headphones are you using? Maybe those did something?

The aluminum foil would probably just distort the sound, and yeah, my wreck what's left.

3. HardcoreEricXXX

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
    I was using a bluetooth adapter velcroed to the back, and I feel like maybe having the wire pulled back put pressure to one side of the port and widened the space between the receptors. Is there thin conductive tape I could wrap around the tip of the headphone jack?

4. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Try getting new headphones cause the wires inside might be spliced or broken/fraid.

^^^^^ thats happened to me b4 and getting new ones fixed the prob.

If that fails its the jack inside the ipod. Get a 8GB and have 2 ipods lol.

5. HardcoreEricXXX

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
    It's not the headphones. I want another iPod touch,but I want to wait for the third generation so I can see the specs. or I'm gonna get a used iPhone 3g without a contract after the new one launches.

6. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008

How do u know ita not the headphones??

7. HardcoreEricXXX

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
    Because the problem occurs with any headphones or speakers plugged in through the 3.5mm jack.

8. iKoda

iKoda Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Student
    I had this problem now it is fixed.

I had the exact same problem. It is NOT your headphones. It is your iPod Touch. The iPods headphone jack is broken. To fix it just send it to apple if your still under warranty. If not pay.

I was still under warranty and they fixed it for free. They didn't really fix it, they just gave me a new iPod. No scratches. :p

9. nuggetsman28

nuggetsman28 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    charlotte
    dont worry, same thing happend to me. go to apple and ask for replasements, works every time.

10. HardcoreEricXXX

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
    Unfortunatly I didn't address the problem quick enough, it's a year and a half old and I didn't get extended coverage. The price to have it fixed + shipping is over $200. I could be more upset, but at least the dock connector still works. I was thinking of picking up the Sony Bluetooth adapter that fits in the dock connector

11. HardcoreEricXXX

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
    I decided to go with the Sony Bluetooth Adapter that fits in the dock connector for $50 and free shipping on amazon. I'll be able to use my built-in Bluetooth headset from my Decoy this way. Maybe it is fate my headphone jack broke.