iPod Touch 4G - Worth the jump from an iPod Touch 3G for a Gamer?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by LordGek, Nov 4, 2010.

1. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Hey Gang,

I hear all of the fun with the iPhone 4G and and would almost like to join the fun in a limited way via an iPod Touch.

My biggest concern at this point, how are the Retina Display games working with only half the RAM? Any early iPod Touch 4G adopters experiencing nasty crashes that ONLY apply to you (i.e. not iPhone 4G folk)?

Thanks in Advance!
    Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan

2. pgboy

pgboy Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2010
    no

no trust me! i did. I mean it is cool but not worth it

3. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Oh, okay, thanks for the heads up!

4. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    My sister has a Touch 4G. I haven't used it extensively but every time I see it I wish I had it instead of my 2G. But then, I don't really want to spend money on it since my iPod works perfectly fine anyway.

5. goldglover411

goldglover411 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2009
    ipod touch game reviewer
    USA
    is it better than a 2g ipod

6. 270Kp

270Kp Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Beta-Tester
    USA
    What do you mean it's not worth it? It's worth it in every single way. The retina is absolutely gorgeous. I've never had a problem with any games either. Half the ram gets it done. Big speed improvement also. ;)

7. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    #7 ColeDaddy, Nov 4, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
    If I was coming in cold into the iUniverse, I'd get the new iTouch (since I don't need the phone as my company pays for my smartphones).

However, from the perspective of a fairly recent owner of a 32GB 3G iTouch iOS4x (last March), it isn't worth the jump from a financial standpoint. I have a co-worker who buys the latest and greatest iDevices and there isn't too much of a difference for me to make a jump while operating on a family budget. Sure, games do load up faster but not by a marked enough difference for me to say "Wow! I'd like to drop another $300!" less than a year into ownership. The resolution is better, but I argue that it isn't enough to sweep me away from my current device.

I plan to hold out for the new iPad due out, I believe, next quarter. There's enough of a technological gap compared to my current unit to make it enticing enough to consider this purchase from my personal view.

8. Spaztrigger

Spaztrigger Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2010
    Under your bed
    Well I was a little hesitant too. Right now I have both a touch 3G and a touch 4g. Looking at the 4g the retina display rocks and now when I use the 3G touch the keyboards and graphics doesn't look that great anymore. In it's own way the itouch 4g is worth getting and not getting; like it's slimmer design, retina display, facetime, 2(pretty bad) camera, horrible volume control placement, and a lot more. Hey, if your in need of retina display games that without getting the iPhone 4 then this is worth getting

9. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Immensely.

10. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    The cameras sound weak so no excuse there. How's the battery power on the itouch 4g? Any noticeable improvement over itouch 3g?

11. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    I switched from a 2g to a 4g, and there is definitely a noticeable battery difference of at least 1.5 hours or so.

The main improvement I found with my 4g is the camera/video (which is not really that bad, but definitely not good if you want to do professional photography, of course. decent for casual photos) and the mic. Also, I noticed a nice framerate increase in a couple of games, but otherwise it wasn't that much of a difference. there are barely more than 10 games i know of which really need the newest devices, and I have a total of 1300 apps.

if I were you, i'd stick with the 3g (i only got my 4g for space) and wait for the 5g to come around next year.

tl;dr, somewhat better battery, better framerates but not that big of a difference, and camera is decent but not pro.

12. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Yeah, good call. Especially since I already got an iPad as well, Apple has enough of my cash for this year, thank you very much.

13. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    I'm one of those somewhat biased going from a 2G Touch to 4G because its such a noticeable difference.
    But still, and although never owned the 3G, I think I'd wait till next year to upgrade. This is more from a financial view than most anything else. The 4G does have a lot more to offer if jumping 2 generations but really a tough call on just one.

14. acrotran

acrotran Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2010
    #14 acrotran, Nov 5, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
    I had a touch 3G and immediately upgraded to a touch 4G. Because it has more value if I want to flip it, and because it is more satisfying to use it, and there is no nagging question about whether or when I should upgrade. I can't see any reason to wait for the new ones. What big improvements could you possibly hope for? I say do it now. If Apple somehow comes up with something spectacular next year then I'll flip this one.

For me, the processor upgrade and the retina display already justified the upgrade. The gyroscope and cameras and microphone are nice but not important. The brand new battery and the 1 year warranty are very important.

Maybe next year's model will have a better processor, but it won't be a lot better and same thing with the display.

As for playing games, I think the 4G touch is probably better than the 4G iPhone, because it isn't always busy with the phone modules, so all the processor power is available for your game. I haven't seen anyone suggesting that the 256mb memory is insufficient.

15. Rezur

Rezur Well-Known Member

May 10, 2010
    Slightly better frame-rate and Retina Display isn't really worth it in my opinion.

16. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!