iPod Touch 3rd Generation

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Alichan76, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Thechansen

Thechansen Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Gps on the touch would work fine on a touch. My crappy windows ce mio gps doesn't need a network connection and the maps plus 18 million points of interest on a 2gb card. And for straight gps it literally 4 numbers that get captured: latitude, longitude, altitude, and time. Which still makes it plenty of worthwhile. And as it stands Tomtom can make their gps work with touch through a Bluetooth gps unit. The maps are stored on the device.

2. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Nothing to do with the iPod touch, but I would love a dongle for it to give mobile Internet.

But I would buy it if it had voice control, it looks so cool. Cam would be nice but not a must have for me.

3. nizy

nizy Well-Known Member

Thats pretty cool, and quite possible on the iPhone, and potentially the iPod touch with the addition of a camera. The problem though is that it requires the map that's on the table in order to play, making it not very portable (unless you wanna bring the map with you).

Here's another example of an AR game for DSi (here) that basically superimposes ghosts into the room your looking around. Its another interesting concept, that could work on iPhone too.

4. Alichan76

Alichan76 Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Nifty idea indeed. However, I don't like Skittles! Can I use m&m's instead? Or just one giant Mars Bar?:D

5. zero144

zero144 Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Sydney, Australia
    GPS and a faster processor are all I need to upgrade from my 1st gen touch. Camera and the compass would just be extras. But I think it is safe to say that the 3g touch will have a faster processor and an electronic compass.

6. deannali

deannali New Member

Jul 7, 2009
    How do I put photos from my ipod touch back onto my computer?
    In my iTunes, I tried to add one photo from my files. But then ended up having the whole lot on my iPod without a way to put them back on my computer. They are not stored in my iTunes and are only on my iPod.

7. jshmrsn

jshmrsn Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Mobile Game Developer
    Agoura Hills, CA
    I'm pretty sure the 3rd gen will not have better processor/graphics card than the 3G S. The 3G S is already causing enough divisions in the hardware for developers.

8. dominator246

dominator246 Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2009
    #48 dominator246, Jul 9, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
    This entire thread is a joke, no way in hell would half the people on here even consider blowing another $300, the ipod touch 2nd generation didn't even come out that long ago. I wouldn't buy a 3rd gen, I don't want Apple moving on just yet, perfectly content with apps in the app store right now, nothing new, nothing that will be buggy and laggy (as most Apple products are for the first few months), people just aren't ready to dish out that large amount of money anymore. Sure we don't mind spending $15, $25, or even $30 on itunes gift cards every week or so, but really, I don't find myself buying another ipod for quite sometime. The processor in my ipod 2nd gen it's just fine, and I'm sure it's okay to control the software for another year or so (Firemint's Real Racing 40 cars on screen demo). No companies have taken full advantage of the software just yet. That's just me, no ipod touch 3rd gen for awhile :)

9. dominator246

Jul 3, 2009
    Hmmm, they should already be on your computer if they made it to your ipod but at any rate, save it to your camera roll by taking a pic of whatever it is (top button/home at the same time). After it's saved to your camera roll, next time you sync your ipod the camera wizard should come up and ask you if you want to save pics to your computer. Just choose a folder and bam :)

10. organerito

organerito Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    What about ipod touch 1G owners? There are plenty of us who are going to get a 3G because the 1G is getting old and outdated. Many original ipod touch and iphone owners skipped a generation and now they get the new ones.

I hope the 3G will have better speakers and 64GB. If we could have the same camera of the iphone 3GS and GPS, it would be fantastic, but I doubt it.

11. dominator246

Jul 3, 2009
    Buy a 2nd gen? lol. Idk, Apple will treat you guys right by releasing a 3rd gen, and then everyone with a 2nd gen will be like the curret 1st gens. (Hope that made sense)

12. teagan1000000

teagan1000000 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2008
    I got 2nd gen touch, if i can sell it in like august i can get ipod touch 3g

13. dominator246

Jul 3, 2009
    #53 dominator246, Jul 9, 2009
    Wonder what would happen to all of our apps, how many technical problems there would be, if the processor sucks, bad battery (not that bad with 2nd gen but could be better), lack of game developers able to make the software jump, apps being compatible with an ENTIRELY new ipod (we all saw how 3.0 updates and compatibility turned out, wasn't to good lol). Is noone happy with the games and the ones soon to come? :confused: I am.

Btw not bashing Apple by any means, I love my 2nd gen and love the games :) just not to supportive of releasing another ipod a year after this one.

14. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    #54 spiffyone, Jul 9, 2009
    I can understand your cynicism on this. I too thought Apple released 3Gs too soon. And by that I mean releasing a true new gen device. I'm using gamer terminology, not Apple's. What Apple calls "gens" gamers would simply call redesigns...so I guess they're not using that term the way gamers do, in which "gen" refers to an actual technological generational leap from predecessor to successor (under such usage, 1st and 2nd "gen" iTouch and iPhone to iPhone3G devices are not different gens but merely redesigns of the same gen, as all use the same generation of CPU, GPU, etc., and 3Gs, with it's totally different CPU, GPU, and double the RAM is a true next gen product).

Splitting the market I stated. Others disagreed, but I stand by my position. They could've given the current internal hardware more time while adding bells and whistles, holding off on the true next gen product until there would be significant need for turnover. Again, though, my position went over some people's heads because they didn't understand that I was stating a position in terms of market position (business) rather than my personal position as a consumer.

That said...3Gs is a friggin' thing of beauty, and so too will be the true next gen update to the iPod touch device line. As a consumer I'm excited about this true new generation.

Besides, I can see how this may be a good move actually. With the current iTouch on the market...knowing Apple, they'll stop manufacturing it once the new 3Gs based iTouch is announced. The effect this will have is increasing the install base of 3Gs based devices as they start to phase out the older generation of hardware (all devices using ARM11 and MBX-lite), and as the older generation of hardware is phased out more and more current consumers will trade up and added to the new consumers the install base grows. But..the original iPhone gen of devices will go on sale, and remain on the market. I see that as potentially disrupting of increasing the install base growth of the new device family. I'd say another year tops, tbqh, until Apple stops having the iPhones of the original family (in this case, 3G) manufactured. So, all in all, another year and a half to two years before they completely drop the original hardware generation family (1st and 2nd "gen" iTouch devices and original iPhone and iPhone 3G) and developers, seeing a dwindling install base at that time, and an increased one for 3Gs based devices, go full fledged with support for said 3Gs devices primarily.

And I wouldn't fret about compatibility. The CPU and GPU in 3Gs and the rumored new iTouch are from the same architectural foundations, but they're just next gen successors. From ARM11 to ARM Cortex A8 and MBX-lite to SGX. The new processors are backwards compatible with code from the older processors, which should include any iTouch/Phone platform app.

15. Genius

Genius Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2009

16. sf49lu

sf49lu Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    Sylvania, OH
    Well I just sold my ipod touch (I have around $500 saved up now) so I have to wait about a month ipod-less. I think I can make it, and I really hope it pays off. Especially if there is a 64 gb model *drools* :D

17. sour

sour Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    School...
    Aurora, Colorado
    I totally agree! I mean I got my iTouch 2nd gen for Christmas last year! C'mon now! Already another iPod Touch?!? Crazy!

18. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
  19. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Every September 9th they come out with a new iPod. We're only 1 month and 8 days till we get a super fast engine, camera and mic, and that new gloss they put over the screen that doesn't show fingerprints! :D

20. sf49lu

sf49lu Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    Sylvania, OH
    #60 sf49lu, Aug 1, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2009
    Hey where did you find that one picture that you posted earlier on the Ipod touch S

Edit: Nevermind. Found it.