iPod Touch 3rd Generation

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Alichan76, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Alichan76

Alichan76 Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Hi gang,
    Does anyone know when/if the 3rd generation iPod Touch is coming? All this talk of the new iPhone has whet my appetite to up-grade my dinosaur of a 1st gen, as much as I love it:)

2. Marioman619

Marioman619 Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2009
    September I think. That's when the iPod event thing is.

3. Alichan76

Apr 15, 2009
    Great! Better start saving my pennies:) I am assuming that it will blow the new iPhone out of the water, as the 2nd gen Touch did with the last iPhone. Anyone have some insider knowledge on that, or otherwise?

4. xVietx

xVietx Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Oklahoma, USA
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's September also. Would really like to see some neat new features. Hope I won't be disappointed.

5. Alichan76

Apr 15, 2009
    Yeah, me too. Maybe it will make your tea in the morning or something crazy like that:D

6. CDubby94

CDubby94 Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Betty White
    I know that Apple wants to have some "iPhone only" features of course to make the overall more expensive device, the iPhone, more appealing to consumers. One of those features used to be a camera but now that the 3GS can record video, I wonder if they'll implement a camera with no video recorder into the new iPod.

That alone would make me buy the new one.

7. AttackOfThePwned

AttackOfThePwned Well-Known Member

May 28, 2009
    Photographer
    San Francisco, CA
    #7 AttackOfThePwned, Jun 19, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
    Yeah, September is when Apple usually introduces the next gen iPods/iTouches.

Last years event:
    http://news.cnet.com/apples-ipod-event/?tag=txt

EDIT: And since the iPhone 3Gs worldwide roll out will be completed by August, it makes perfect timing.

8. Coral

Coral Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    I doubt the new iPod Touch will surpass the iPhone in power. I think Apple is going to try and reunify the amount of power the line of devices has so large gaps don't start forming. A camera would be a great addition as well as possibly voice control and the compass. And of course Apple loves surprising us with stuff we didn't see coming.

9. Alichan76

Apr 15, 2009
    A camera would be nice, although isn't the iPhone camera meant to be really bad quality? If so, I'd stick with my tea making suggestion;)

10. AttackOfThePwned

AttackOfThePwned Well-Known Member

May 28, 2009
    Photographer
    San Francisco, CA
    #10 AttackOfThePwned, Jun 19, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
    No insider knowledge but you can probably take it to the bank the storage will be 64GB for the next iTouch.

EDIT: iChat with a front facing and rear facing camera would be sweet! But maybe I am dreaming to far into the future now.

11. xVietx

xVietx Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Oklahoma, USA
    That would blow me away. I hadn't even thought of that yet. I was thinking of something along the lines of a mic, louder speakers, overall improvement, etc.

If they did release it with a camera, I would grab it right up. Though I doubt it would. A camera would also make it bulkier but that's something of little importance to me if I can get a camera with it.

12. Alichan76

Apr 15, 2009
    A compass would be wonderful! I use the GoSkyWatch and StarMap apps regularly, so I wouldn't have to figure out where North was on my own any more (being the lazy sod that I am:eek:).

13. Diablohead

Diablohead Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Freelancer, PC game developer
    3GS has an improved camera so 3rd gen touch should get a good cam, if any.

It should have the VR and processing power of the 3GS though, otherwise yet again they are just breaking up the userbase.

14. noah21c

noah21c Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I feel you. I also have the prehistoric 1st gen iPod Touch. It's been through a lot but it's gotta go.

15. Joker13z

Joker13z Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    Yeeeep. Same here. :) I'm definitely looking forward to a 3rd gen one if it comes out soon.

16. Alichan76

Apr 15, 2009
    I'm so glad you feel me, lol:eek: But yes, it must be gone! Out with the old, in with the new. A Spring....um, no...Autumn clean! Things are moving on at an exponential rate. I can see a time coming soon, when my trusty 1st gen won't know what to do with those future games we have to look forward to.

17. bjjmatmonster

bjjmatmonster Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Wreckless Speculation

The inclusion of a camera of a microphone and camera could do great things for games. Look at some of the creative things that have been done with the Nintendo DSI set up. Being able to control the iPod by voice would be fantastic. I would hope for battery life than my touch 1g.

18. qingwa

qingwa Well-Known Member

May 25, 2009
    I think Apple wants to corner the handheld gaming market and the smartphone market. They will do the same thing for the iPod as they did for the iPhone. Make two models available, one for $229 and the older 2nd generation for $129.

The newer one will be similar to the the iPhone 3GS, the older one will be the current iPod Touch.

19. Would like a microphone and camera. Guessing they'll add microphone but not too sure about the camera. Regardless 256MB memory would be a huge boost and set the stage for more background apps like Mobile Safari and Mail., etc.

20. Thechansen

Thechansen Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    In keeping with the spirit of the iPod touch (aka, the iPhone for people that don't want whatever carrier that is offering the iPhone, people that can't get the iPhone in their country, people that can't afford the iPhone voice + data plan, and kids), I can see a much bigger push for better hardware. Personally I wouldn't rule out Apple going as far as making it a iPhone 3GS minus the 3G radio. I would also be willing to wager at some point down the line: a full blown point and shoot camera, with a flash and zoom lens. I reckon that a company that likes to cheerlead it's iLife package, that they would want a device that ties into every part of iLife. The iPod touch could in theory be an extension of one "iLife". Video recording, photosnaping, music, editing iWeb sites. Analysts have been calling for a mac tablet, but the potential for that is already in our hands. I look forward to the 5th and 6th generation iPhones and iPod touchs.