ipod nano 6th gen.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Godzilla[D00M], Sep 4, 2010.

1. Godzilla[D00M]

Godzilla[D00M] Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2010
    student
    new jersey
    #1 Godzilla[D00M], Sep 4, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
    since the new nano has a touch screen and this is touch arcade i thought someone should make a post about it. heres the new nano compared to the old one.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

okay so as you can see the designs changed a lot. it is now much smaller than the old one. its 46% smaller and 42% lighter than the ipod nano 5th generation. it has no more buttons the clickwheel is gone. theyve added a touchscreen to the new nano. it has 4 icons on each page, the same app designs and size as the ipod touch. theyve added a clip to the back although you cant see it in this photo, and on top theres 3 buttons one is an off button and two are the volume button much like the ipod touch has. in my opinion the new design is very cool and revolutionary and apple did a great job with that.

as for software theyve improved lots of the apps in this. the apps are of beautiful design easy to navigate for the most part, most of the apps resemble the iphone or ipod touch apps except smaller. a really nice thing is that the operating system is based off ios4 so you get backgrounds and the cool stuff ios4 features but of course the operating system on the nano is much more limited than the one on the iphone or ipod touch. the standard apps on the nano are mostly music apps ex: songs, artists, now playing, playlists, genius, albums, composers, and radio are all separate apps on it. it also has podcasts, photos, settings, nike+, a pedometer, clock, and voice memos. i think the coolest app on it is the clock since its design is beautiful and in the settings it allows you to make it so every time you turn your nano on, the clock comes up so you can use it as a watch or clock if you need the time very quickly. you can also flip the screen by doing a little pinch twist and move the apps around just like on the iphone and ipod touch. heres a video of apple unveiling it and also a hands on video i found very helpful:

now for the bad stuff: as you may or may not know the ipod nano 5th gen had videos, and a video camera, which the new nano does not have.

but this isnt such a big deal seeing to how much smaller this one is and how much cooler it is. my guess is that they will continue selling the 5th generation nano for people who want those features or want a click wheel. it could possible be like the shuffle where its click wheel for a while then they change the whole thing then after that they go back to the old design but still sell the old one.

it costs $149 for 8gb and it costs $179 for 16gb, although im unsure how many pixels the screen has. the new nano can play 24 hours of music before it needs to recharge.

as for gaming there may be a few little games for it, and maybe some extra apps will be made for it.

[​IMG]
    some pictures of the different apps the nano has.
    [​IMG]
    the colors of the new nano. (buy the red one some of the funds from that one go to the global fund ;))

2. Godzilla[D00M]

Jan 9, 2010
    student
    new jersey
    how com embed isnt working? anyone care to offer some help? lol

3. Noman

Noman Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    How are you supposed to scroll through your music on a screen this small?

P.S. It's $149 for an 8gb and $179 for a 16gb.

4. Chapperz :D

Chapperz :D Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    England
    "so that gives you an idea of the new ipod touch, i mean nano"
    nice work their steve.

but on a serious note people that would get an ipod for sport are probably be more likely to get a shuffle because it is so much cheaper.i'm not sure though, i might be wrong but it sort of seems like a step backwards. what was the need for a touch interface? There isn't really one. i'm not sure people really care about it being a bit smaller or lighter. it does look pretty cool but it has also taken out the ability to play videos. just out of interest could previous nano's play the radio? the radio would be better in my opining. a small, cool device like that with the ability to play virtually free music anywhere. It would be much cheaper than buying it of itunes.

5. deadweight

deadweight Well-Known Member

You know, I don't really need one of these... But I gotta say it would make an awesome wristwatch. :D

6. Godzilla[D00M]

Jan 9, 2010
    student
    new jersey
    yeah but shuffle has no screen. thats the major flaw. id make sort of an ipod mini 2nd gen and i know the first gens really old. id just make it a small ipod with a clickwheel and a screen the size of the first and second gen ipods. add radio too and id be very happy with that and itd probably be much less than this. but i can imagine a lot of people just getting this since i know i really never use mu touch for videos ill watch the 2 movies i have on there once in a while but its mostly music and gaming. and i think people will care that its smaller since its about the size of a nano plus it has a clip and you can set the clock this so this would be the greatest thing ever for walkers runners or joggers.

and yeah radio is a nice feature for the nano and its much inproved than the last one actually. yes the last one had radio and a voice recorder but you needed to have the headphones in for it to work, which i can imagine was incredibly annoying, seeing that youd want to play radio via the speaker and also the headphones were probably like 30 bucks to replace so if you lose or rip them then its not gonna be cheap to get them back.

yeah i really do like that feature. and i dont need one but i do think it would be awesome to have. ive been considering getting a small music player and the price isnt all that bad

(btw thank you to the person who posted the prices and the gigabytes ill edit that into it now :))

7. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    This is just a 5 minute fashion statement. It isn't very well thought out IMO. Plus Apples' signature Clickwheel has gone!

Ps, he said every model is getting a make-over but no Classic was mentioned; not even to say it's discontinued.

8. seyoon

seyoon Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    East Coast
    Depends on the buyer's preferences if the new Nano is better. I personally think it's a step backwards.

They stripped this 6th gen with the video camera, the ability to play videos, lesser resolution and smaller screen. The only "improvement" some may want is the smaller form factor, clip and the touchscreen. The UI and the lack of a clickwheel may or may not be a plus for some. I personally like the clickwheel and the taller form factor of the previous gens for ergonomics.

This Nano gen may not appeal to me, but on the other hand, Apple might be going in the right direction for it's future models. I can see them making the screen a bit bigger in the future and having the ability to utilize some apps of the iPhone/touch. Perhaps, with space, they might put in a facetime cam for future generations. But as of now, if I have a need for a Nano, I'd get a 5th gen refurb.

9. The Game Reaper

The Game Reaper Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    The Emerald Isle
    I really really love my 5th gen. Almost flawless.

There's something so goddamn good about using the clickwheel. I can't quite put my finger on it, but its UE for music, I think, is superior to the iPod Touch. It's really nice.

For me the lack of video playback and the camera is a big turnoff. I'm sure 99.4% of all Nano owners just use it for music, and that's probably why they made it so small.

Wait for the next one. I'm hopeful for a bigger screen and a camera, cuz the touchscreen does have a lot of potential.

Another big bummer for this new one is its omission of a speaker. That sucks.

10. Godzilla[D00M]

Jan 9, 2010
    student
    new jersey
    what would they do to the classic but add more space or make it smaller? i think the aim of this nano might have been to make a nano touch. the whole point of the ipod nano was a smaller ipod and since the touch is doing so well they thought let do this. its all a matter of opinion.

the clickwheel was the ipods claim to fame. it all started there and i dont think this is the last weve seen of it. theyre probably going to start making two types of nanos in fact thats what i hope they do start doing. i seriously dought that face time will ever be added to the new nano type. honestly they probably just made this to put it out there because you may think there is but there really isnt all that much they can do to make it better. knowing apple they won t make it any bigger but i think it would be nice if the pages had 6 icons each since then you could play movies and also there would be more room for games.

11. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Someone be my rich uncle and buy me a new nano PLEASE!

12. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    They'll probably do the same with this as with the shuffle. Add the clickwheel to touch.

13. ibelongintheforums

ibelongintheforums Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    I hate it, its more of a shuffle then a touch. They took out watching video, and took out the camera. the screen is so tiny it would be immpossible to scroll through your entire music library. plus, its 150 bucks, so it just doesn't pack the value. I wish they kept the 5th generation and sold both

14. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    huge step back if you ask me. definitely should've kept the click wheel
    you have to take it out now if you want to skip a song

15. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Hmm, Apple's done their brainwashing well if they're getting poor saps to call this "revolutionary" (which is apparently the only word in the company's marketing campaign's vocabulary.

I now really regret getting a Nano with only 8 gigs.

16. LUFCLuke

LUFCLuke Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2010
    UK
    sure. I just need to know your bank account details and i'll send it right away :D

17. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
  18. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    all I think was wtfyouserious??!!@$#@NOT_BUYING

19. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member