iphoneX : can you/do you/ choose the borders on optimised games?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by ramzarules, Sep 11, 2018.

1. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    Was wanting to order an 8s+
    I just read all 2018 iphones will have THE NOTCH.
    I think i will really hate the asymetrical X screen especially landscape.
    If you think similarly but you have an iphoneX with optimised games
    Does the notch bother you too much?
    Can you use the borders option after a game has been “X optimised” ?
    After having it for a year would you change it to game on an 8+?

2. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Honestly the notch doesn't bother me at all, I don't even notice it anymore. There are some games that have a feature that creates an artificial black border that "hides" the notch, but most games don't have that. There are also some games that don't take the notch into account so it actually does block something in the game or UI, but I haven't come across a game that's been rendered broken by this, it's more of a small annoyance. The bigger annoyance is games that aren't optimized for the X at all and have full black borders.

Despite any of these issues the X has been my favorite iPhone thus far and I'd never go back to a non full screen iPhone.

ramzarules and Taeles like this.
  3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I'll be getting a new phone this year so cant wait to see the Apple show later.

However with all these new sizes of potential Iphones that must surely cause the developers even more headaches. I presume they'll have to update games not just to the iphone x but also perhaps the 'iphone x2' etc etc. Hoping it wont be that bad and the 'iphone x optimized' games wont look too bad on my new iphone

Played a few games on my friends iphone x and the full screens amazing. As Boardumb says you kinda dont notice the notch at all

Roll on 6pm GMT

ramzarules likes this.
  4. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    #4 psj3809, Sep 15, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    Also on the new phone will the iPhone X games look okay or will they be stretched a bit ? Will it be another case of waiting for devs to update games ?

ramzarules likes this.
  5. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    excellent question, i am waiting to see as well.
    Currently I am so torn between XS max and the samsung note9. The Xs max will be better for gaming, and all my paid apps are on ios, but on the other hand the note 9 is cheaper, more innovative and has headphone jack and fast charger included which means they value their customers much more.
    I want to support the samsung mentality here but the gaming will probably be better on the iphone...

6. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yeah too late for me to switch. Have over 600 apps on my phone and tons more over the years. Love my Apple Watch. I’m stuck with them !! If I could do it again I might have gone the android route doe to emulators which I love and Apples decisions (getting rid of 32 bit apps) and being utterly anal about a fair few things