iPhone's iconic Characters

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by RedStaR, Apr 25, 2009.

1. crimson.

crimson. Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    I don't have one...
    In AMERICA.
    I think he means cube runner. There's a flash game called cube field. I think he got them mixed up.

2. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Ok, yeah looked like he had them backwards. And no apps named 'cube field' in the app store...

In that case, I have cube runner :)

3. crimson.

Mar 9, 2009
    I don't have one...
    In AMERICA.
    I don't.

4. jFND

jFND Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2009
    I don't either.

Characters from Rolando might be one, but it's an imitation of LocoRoco so I wouldn't want to argue to what extent.

5. ZZMitch

ZZMitch Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2008
    The Balloon from Up There :p

6. worldcup1100

worldcup1100 Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Wow, I think he made his own counter argument, when he can't even tell the right name of the app with "the most memorable character".

7. crimson.

Mar 9, 2009
    I don't have one...
    In AMERICA.
    ^^^ Lol that was great.

8. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

There isn't one. There isn't a game that when you tell someone who hardly knows about the iPhone, they say "Like Mario?" It doesn't exist, and likely never will. The reason: free trade doesn't work with online distro. Nintendo owns each and every title that you mentioned. if Apple really developed, we would have one, but instead, it is up to indie devs to supply content. Which DOES NOT WORK. 10 years from now, we still won't have an iconic game or character for iPhone.

9. dashzed

dashzed Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2009
    how about pocket god? those little pygmy's r so cute!!!

10. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    This is the only correct answer, but you'll never get the Papi haters out there, or even those that like the games but don't think them to have "high enough production values" to agree.

The latter group is what confuses me. Their only reason for disagreeing, really, is that the Papi games were too...raw...and simple...and "underproduced".

But...y'know...isn't that what the iTouch/Phone is known for as a platform, for better or worse? Raw simple indie games. Papi fits. It helps greatly that the Papi games are, despite having "low production values" actually fun and well designed.

That's the sort of stuff I think of when I think of iTouch/Phone gaming. It's stuff that even at it's best are things some of us wouldn't have taken a second look at if they were on the "game" platforms, but are FUN when played and win you over.

That's what the "spirit" of iTouch/Phone is to me in part: stuff that wins me over.

Look at Eliss: not the most graphically beautiful game, and a simple idea to boot...but addictive as hell. Even good looking games like SPiN and Zen Bound are simple...but addictive. I wasn't a "believer" in either game, but then I played them. They won me over.

Simple but addictive to me is what makes iTouch/Phone gaming what it is along with the "indie spirit".

And Papi captures that quite nicely.

Is he perfect as an icon?

Maybe not. He's "just" a smiley face.

But damn it...he's a smiling face in search for burgers. The simple things in life are what he's all about and I think that's what the iTouch/Phone platform is all about. The premiere mobile platform, the games that best fit are not those that attempt to be overly complicated or like console games, or those could easily be done on other platforms but those that, despite simple ideas, shine on this one because they "fit" not only the platform as a group of devices, but the platform in terms of the target audience.

Papi...well...Papi fits. Those of us here on Toucharcade who are "hardcore" gamers wanting "deep long lasting" games are in the minority. It's all about minute gaming, and I think Papi captures that spirit better than most other games even now.

11. gscal

gscal Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    +1. Although PapiPole wasn't fun and addictive at all. :p

12. theone1007

theone1007 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    USA
    I would say that vampire hunter from iDracula. Also, the little baseball guys in BS09.

13. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    Although I didn't enjoy the game much I find the Rolando characters to be iconic. Maybe it's just because I started paying more attention to the paid section of the App Store around the time that Rolando was released.

14. Swordplay

Swordplay Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Chicago
    Right now I think the iphones mascot would be the round things from Rolando.

15. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    lol that just sounds funny :p

16. Swordplay

Swordplay Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Chicago
    Hahaha that does sound gross and perverted.

17. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    Why did my post get deleted?! :mad:

18. gscal

gscal Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    What did it say exactly?

It sounds like this forum is deleting personal opinions left and right.

19. hdgreen

hdgreen Well-Known Member

i actually contacted nintendo about this. it took them afew weeks to get back in touch but they say that they have no intention of releasing any nintendo titles on the ipod because they are focusing on the wii and the DSi.
    That means we wont get to see the likes of Mario & Luigi, Donkey Kong, Zelda, Pikachu and the gang or any of these guys:
    [​IMG]

20. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    Correction: we have already seen Duck Hunt and Donkey Kong. Zenonia is not technically Zelda, but close enough. It begins with a 'Z'

EDIT: Oh, we have also seen Tetris on the iDevice.