iPhone's iconic Characters

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by RedStaR, Apr 25, 2009.

1. RedStaR

RedStaR Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    #1 RedStaR, Apr 25, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
    After a billion downloads and counting the App Store still doesn't really have the "Super Mario" "Simon", or "Samus" that nintndo had. Or do they?

It might not seem as such but after a billion downloads iDevice has many characters, some with multiple titles. Some of the most note worthy have been Toy Bot, appearing in three titles. Some ask what's it take to solidify a iconic character status when developing for a new platform? I'd say multiple title appearances are a great start, that and character charisma, with some good animation.

Rolando might easily be considered an iDevice icon. Armed with cutesy wootsy friends, sound effects and that adolescent animation that just gives it plenty of charm without appearing cheap. Those have always been classic ingredients when establishing timeless characters.

Pangea has done a nice job with porting over quirky characters like Skip Mcfly (Bugdom 2) and Otto (Otto Matic), and one of the most favorable characters came from development team Sandlot Games, Turbo (Snail Mail).

Digital Legends "Kroll" was are real first look at a hack n slash hero, although Gameloft has evolved on this character genre with awesome characters like King Argos (Hero of Sparta), Altiar (Assassin's Creed), and the 101st paratrooper in Brothers in Arms.

I'd like to here some other opinions from other forum members on what their favorite characters have been so far and who they would like to see have return titles, and perhaps what character has the iDevice mascot potential.

Naturally this had been discussed before, however after 1 billion downloads and new members to the site everyday opinions and games evolve, and good forum discussion is the main goal :)

2. inferi22

inferi22 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    soon regret in zenonia-and ninja or lizard in sway

3. Prab

Prab Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    +1 for ninja in sway haha =P

4. Lukearcade22

Lukearcade22 Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Student/Young Video Game Developer
    United Kingdom
    Me thinks it would be a Pygmy in Pocket God

i mean, thats a big hit still in the app store!

5. hazmat95

hazmat95 Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2009
    i think u mean altiar?

6. CandyNJ66

CandyNJ66 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Writer
    Toki from the upcoming Toki Tori game! Toki is so adorable, so charming and the game so darn innovative, that I can't see how he won't become an iconic character on the idevice.

From the current games, I would have to select the pygmies from Pocket God

7. gscal

gscal Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    The hero from Hero Of Sparta?

8. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Super Monkey Ball is a classic, so some people might consider SMB.

For me, it has to be a unique iPhone game, so Toki Tori, Altair or Zenonia is out.

I'm voting for Lizzie (Sway), the little dudes (Fieldrunners) or the 'hurry bird' (Zen Bound).

9. Karuko

Karuko Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    Toy Bot is the one. He is original to the platform and has had Ads on TV.

10. Stykman

Stykman Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Beta Tester, Student
    United States
    Me thinks toy boy would be an iconic character

11. RedStaR

RedStaR Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Oh yeah...wrong middle eastern guy LoL

12. gscal

gscal Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    "Bounce" from Bounce On is legendary.

13. At the moment I think that some of these characters have the makings of becoming an iPhone icon :

- The Pocket God Pygmies
    - The Robot from Toy Bot Diaries
    - Maybe Bobby Carrot as well
    - I think Super Monkey Ball since the game recieves alot of publicity and advertisement

14. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    Hot Dog from Hot Dog Down A Hallway

Balls from Ow My Balls

15. Karuko

Karuko Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    Isn't the Bounce character from a Nokia game?

16. DaveMc99

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
  17. DaveMc99

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    It is a port from the Wii http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toki_Tori
    The WiiWare version was nominated for multiple Wii-specific awards by IGN in its 2008 video game awards, including Best WiiWare Game[15] and Best Puzzle Game.[16]

18. Karuko

Karuko Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
  19. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

YES!!!

Seriously though, the reason that there is no mascot gaming character for the iPhone is because Apple isn't advertising one. Look back at how Nintendo, Sega, and Sony historically have advertised their systems. The boxes themselves often come emblazoned with either the character himself, or the logo somewhere. So from the point of purchase, you know that your Sega Genesis can play Sonic the Hedgehog games. Sonic games take advantage of BLAST PROCESSING and the reason you're buying the Genesis is because Sega, thanks to the help of Sonic, does what Nintendon't.

Brand images like this are built from the ground up from the manufacturer of the device. Apple chooses to advertise the iPhone as "Holy cow look at all these apps and games you can play!" instead of "The iPhone! The only way to play Toy Bot from Toy Bot Diaries!"

20. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Please you guys are forgetting THE MOST ICONIC! Anyone wanna guess? He's red and round, he has like 5 or six games...... Anyone?

It's PAPI!

From the infamous free game papijump... :p