iPhone's accelerometer should be removable

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by blakespot, Aug 27, 2008.

1. blakespot

blakespot Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    When I was writing the review of Tennis Slam and comparing it to Wii Sports tennis, it occurred to me: the iPhone's accelerometer should be removable.

A game like Tennis Slam could be so much more if the iPhone had a removable stylus-like Bluetooth device that contains its accelerometer. That way, when the accelerometer would ideally be able to swing wildly during gameplay with the screen fixed (like in a iPhone take of Wii Sports tennis), such a combination would add great depth.

An odd thought, perhaps - but not a bad idea, I think.

blakespot

2. ccspark120

ccspark120 Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Great idea!

I was thinking the same kind of thing since on the wii you can swing and see the results instead of immediately glancing at the phone, I think it would be more efficient (and asthetic) if there was a small transmitter inside of the iPhone that would be compatible with a wii type remote but much smaller that can almost fit in your hand, and you could buy it separetely! Making much more money for the apple and being a very smart buisiness move!

3. abbad0n

abbad0n Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Well if apple opened up bluetooth to more then the the 2 profiles they have now, someone could build it.

4. BrettArchibald

BrettArchibald Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Male
    Self-employed interactive designer.
    Formerly Zimbabwe - now England.
    This wouldn't work unless you could plug your iPhone into your TV as well (I know you can currently do so for movies, but not for games)...
    Think about it - how awkward would it be to wildly swing your "tennis racquet" in one hand whilst trying to hold the iPhone still enough in the other hand and to be able to look at and concentrate on the screen without falling over or something...
    :)

5. bmoody

bmoody Member

Aug 27, 2008
    I disagree with brett because if the "racket" was small enough you wouldn't have to use large swinging motions to hit the ball. All you would have to do is use small jerking motions and it wouldn't mess you up a bit.:D

6. BrettArchibald

BrettArchibald Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Male
    Self-employed interactive designer.
    Formerly Zimbabwe - now England.
    Well, maybe a 3rd-party can come up with their own plug-in accelerometer for the iPhone's Dock connector, kinda like the 3rd-party iControlPad...

7. whatevax

whatevax Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    four years and nothing like this has been brought up by Apple... sigh....

8. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I love the idea of being able to lose my accelerometer like a DS stylus, but a 100x more expensive to replace.

9. theatergirl78

theatergirl78 Member

May 29, 2009
  10. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    Yeah, I came to this thread to say basically the same thing. Great idea, but it would be pretty bad in terms of logistics.