iPhone Video Recorder

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by jlake02, Oct 17, 2008.

1. jlake02

jlake02 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Manager
    Los Angeles
    I apologize if this topic was posted before, but I'd like your thoughts. Why do you think Apple refuses to incorporate an iPhone Video Recorder?

The jailbroken ones seem to work great from what I can tell via YouTube videos. (I'm not much of a hacker, but the lack of a video recorder has me considering it.)

Many people claim it's a silly thing to have but I've found I usually leave my camera at home and just take stills with the iPhone. It takes great pictures.

I'd love to be able to take short videos and upload them to YouTube so the grandparents could see what we are up to.

Anyone have any theories as to WHY Apple won't implement it? I know for a fact at least one developer submitted his to the AppStore only to be denied.

thoughts?

2. BlueGenome

BlueGenome Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    In my opinion apple just does not want to release the iPhone with its full capabilities. When the first gen iPhone was released everyone was happy; then developers realized how easy it was to develop for the iphone, and everyone wanted third party apps on their phones. I know that this was apples plan, they wanted to shock consumers with their 3g iphone by announcing the app store at launch, but they had to announce it a lot sooner cause of installer so they pretty much told people not to hack because the app store was coming. Now i feel the same thing is happening. Although video recorder, voice dialing, picture messaging, copy paste etc is not as important as the app store, these are all features we all want, and features apple will use to get us to buy their next version of the product. But thats just my view on it.

3. jlake02

Oct 17, 2008
    Manager
    Los Angeles
    Yeah, you might be right. Maybe it's a trail of bread crumbs to keep us suckers buying the new versions.

4. vandy1997

vandy1997 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2008
    NJ
    @jlake02

Trust us - it makes no sense to anybody!! It could be that the camera is not adequate, and Steve Jobs is waiting for a better camera that will be small enough to fit on the phone, or maybe it will use up the battery too quickly (that could be resolved if the battery is replaceable - hopefully the European Union countries will pass a law that requires batteries to be removable so that they can be disposed of in a safe manner). I love this phone, but it's sad that iPhone users are the laughing stock of people who use other smartphones because this phone lacks so many features that even cheap smartphones have (MMS, copy/paste, a better camera app with contrast/zoom functionality, full bluetooth functionality, voice dialing, video recording, etc.). These features can be included with SOFTWARE updates. The phone has the necessary hardware to handle these functions. If Apple doesn't want to do it, it can allow third-party developers to develop these apps, and it can work closely with them to make sure that the apps are solid and will not waste the battery or cause conflicts with other apps. But the fact that it does nothing is astonishing. Hopefully the Android phones and the Blackberry Storm will sell like crazy, and the reviewers will keep mocking the iPhone for not having these standard features that those phone will have. Then Steve Jobs will get people to work to create these apps for this phone. They could even charge an additional amount for this functionality, and people would buy it, as has been done with AppStore apps!! But the fact that Apple doesn't even provide an option is really incredible and inexplicable!!

I wish that I could understand what goes on in the heads of these executives. Why would they fail to include these features, only to bring ridicule from reviewers and users of their products? Who the heck knows!!

5. Ringo50k

Ringo50k Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    The Bluetooth being locked to earpieces makes sense... if you own iTunes and don't want music files getting around.

Anyway Re. the camera I suspect it is:

a) A future model feature (just like a camera on the front for iChat)

b) The camera is NOT deemed to be high quality enough...

c) STORAGE SPACE!
    Videos will fill up an iPhone much more than Photos
    (leaving average users disgruntled)
    (and it doesn't have the SYNC factor like iPhoto does...)

What do others think?

6. jlake02

Oct 17, 2008
    Manager
    Los Angeles
    I would agree with you that it might be a camera issue, but I've seen videos from the jailbroken applications and they're actually very good.

Just hoping Apple has plans for it..

7. Gregz0r

Gregz0r Well-Known Member

That's exactly what's going on here, make no mistake.

8. vandy1997

vandy1997 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2008
    NJ
    I agree with these reasons PLUS the fact that the battery will be drained pretty quickly (and people will complain even more as to why the battery is not removable)!! Hopefully Apple will put out an iPhone with a better camera and a removable battery in the future, but it seems like that will take a while to become a reality if the 3G iPhone keeps selling at a high rate.

9. joanell

joanell New Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Unhappy iPhoner

I can see no other reason than those stated here for iphone not having video capabilities. I am really unhappy about this too as I know first hand how well the 'Dream Catcher' iPhone Video Recorder http://www.iphonevideorecorder.com/works. (Here you can learn how to do most things with/on your iPhone: http://www.appleiphoneschool.com/)
    I had it on my hacked 2G. Now I do the right thing and buy from iTunes Store. There are thousands of apps to download and heaps free, but there is also 100s of the same thing, and so it takes you hours to sort through them all.
    Not to mention again NO Video Recorder-NO Blue-tooth for uploading stuff. It makes me want to hack my 3G NO-Copy n Paste. Will consider another make when I upgrade my mobile, as now the other mobile companies are catching up with the iphones technologies .:(