Iphone/touch competes with PSP, DSI..

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by le'deuche123, Apr 17, 2009.

1. le'deuche123

le'deuche123 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
  2. ploppo

ploppo Member

Jan 18, 2009
    I'm not so sure it does..

I've had an ipod touch since last april, and whilst it may have trumped my DS lite for a good few months after 2.0, I found myself spending more and more than I would have if I'd bought DS games striving to find a worthy app that kept me coming back. To date I've paid for over 210 applications but as soon as I bought the DSi two weeks ago and one game with it, I haven't looked at my ipod whatsoever (bearing in mind I've been out of college for those two weeks also)
    But then, I'm only one person, so maybe I'm just an anomaly
    or maybe, I just like new shiny things..

either way, I've spent too much to justify
    ..I probably did a long, long time ago

3. NJPodder

NJPodder Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2008
    What? They make games for the iPhone/iPod Touch?

4. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Let's be serious, while there may be uncountable number of articles that discuss the same thing, Nintendo is sitting in a leather chair with brandy in one hand, and a cigar in the other, laughing.

While the platform may have a lot of potential, it's limited by two things:

1) Devs 2) Control Schemes

Devs, while it's understandable that some of you may not have the time or money to create full fleshed-out games, it's getting tiring. Nearly every single game we consider a classic in the appstore would be considered a mini-game in any other platform. It may look good, it may handle well, but it's way to short and it isn't making us come back for more.

Control schemes, there are no hardware button. For us touch users, the thing doesn't even vibrate. We can't tell if we've pressed the right button or the wrong button. The screen isn't that slick. There's a thing called friction. I can't slide my thumbs with ease unless I dip them in grease. Devs keep coming up with these weird "innovative" control schemes. They're not. I keep becoming disappointed with my touch when it comes to gaming. Music, videos, internet, regular useful apps, it works great. Games are depressing, though :(

5. crimson.

crimson. Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    I don't have one...
    In AMERICA.
    The current iPhone/iPod Touch isn't a game platform. It wasn't designed to be one and it isn't. Are there any big games ok iPhone? Anything like God of War, GTA Chinatown Wars, Moon, Pokemon, Final Fantasy, Mario, The World Ends With You, or even Kirby? Any big games like that? I can't think of any. Hell, Apple doesn't even allow blood. That right there stops it from being a game console IMO. No "hardcore" game is gonna go out and trade there DSi/PSP for an iPod Touch. If Apple actually made a game console then it'd be great but till then imma stick with my real gaming consoles.

6. le'deuche123

le'deuche123 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Well I would have to agree as far as game quality, but the whole point of me starting the thread is because it would appear that the iphone/touch IS starting to be taken seriously as a gaming device. Yeah the games might have less content then PSP and DSI games, but you can buy A LOT of them. And with sites like toucharcade and what not, it's getting harder and harder to blow money on games that suck. And also if you look hard enough, you can find some pretty hefty games, GOF, Puzzle quest, Rogue touch, just to name a few. I don't understand how your getting burned out when the fires just been lit. Things are really getting good now.

7. s0mah

s0mah Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    failing PHY tests
    little town of bethlehem
    I love when nongamers do articles like this.

Especially when they trump up imaginary machine wars.

Especially when they have ambiguous executives, quoting ambiguously, like this:

“Some of the large publishers that used to focus on developing for the DS and PSP are shifting a lot of their development resources toward Apple’s devices.”

Which LARGE publishers are shifting A LOT of their resources?

Back to the especially whens.

Especially when they think that selling 10 mil units is some type of explosive karate chop.

Especially when that was 10 mil multipurpose phones pushed out the door, as opposed Nintendo's 20 mil handheld units that are limited to gaming.

Especially when the reviewer looks like this:

[​IMG]

TO CONCLUDE:

Awesome the iphone has games. Awesome, awesome, awesome, that we have dev's like Konami shoveling us their shit. Awesome, awesome, awesome, awesome, that there are A LOT of good games in the istore, and that we have seen an increasing amount of quality in these games.

This stupid argument is just stupid though. The iPhone as SRS BSNS THX contender seems to be a lot of DS/PSPless people trying to justify themselves.

8. s0mah

s0mah Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    failing PHY tests
    little town of bethlehem
    #8 s0mah, Apr 17, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
    wtf, you didn't hear? Nintendo is going to stat allowing their devs to box and sell unfinished games now. The catch is that the devs must clearly mark on the box that there WILL be an update sometime in the near future.

9. Kamazar

Dec 13, 2008
    Wait, wha...? No, that's for the DSi's virtual-ware store. The games that download straight to the console. There's no way companies are gonna go advertising, boxing, and shipping out the game cards that they'll eventually need to update. The system would be way to complex. Plus, that'd make internet a necessity, and Nintendo usually keeps it pretty simple.

10. nooobynick

nooobynick Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    That is definetly deserving of going into a sig:D

11. s0mah

s0mah Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    failing PHY tests
    little town of bethlehem
    lol i was jk about apple's itunes business model.

12. crimson.

Mar 9, 2009
    I don't have one...
    In AMERICA.
    GoF is a port, PuzzleQuest is on most other consoles, and Rouge Touch isn't original either. This "console" has almost no good original games. Look at Hero of Sparta. I don't know how gameloft could've made a more obvious copy of God of War. Not to mention the fact that half of the games on iPhone suck so much ass it makes me laugh. And this "game console" doesn't attract hardcore gamers because Apple doesn't allow mature content, which is just stupid. Half the time Apple doesn't make sense either. They rejected a South Park app that lets you watch south park episodes for free even though they sell uncensored episodes on iTunes. That just doesn't make sense. In conclusion,

PSP = Game Console
    DSi = Game Console
    iPod Touch = MP3 Player With Multimedia Capabilities.

13. jFND

jFND Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2009
    One hell of an MP3 player if that's the case. I own a PSP and many of my fiends own a DS. My PSP is collecting dust, why? They have no games whatsoever. Sony has abandoned PSP; and I'm incredibly pissed at this.

We hardly get any quality games. The only games I thoroughly enjoyed on the PSP were God of War: Chains of Olympus, Syphon Filter and Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow (I think that's the name), GTA: LCS, GTA: VCS, Killzone Liberation, MGS: Portable Ops, Dexter and LocoRoco.

Seriously, what other games are there that's worth buying? In the 3-4 years I've owned the PSP, I've only enjoyed 9 titles from that console. Pathetic. Those are great games, and PSP owners should really be entitled to more of these games. But are we? No.

As for the DS, I wasn't really interested since I already owned a PSP. But Chinatown Wars looks interesting, though I'm not about to spend $200+ on one game that looks interesting.

The iPod touch has potential to be a gaming console, but what it needs is larger-sized games (that reach around 400MB in size) to polish up the graphics and add more content to the games. Remember, games like Dexter are around 1GB+, the largest game I know on the iPod touch is Payback with 220MB. Imagine what Hero of Sparta could've been if it x10 it's size. It's only around 80MB right now, and with 800-1GB of more content, it could've been something.

The other issue that you guys might be discussing is the lack of buttons on the iPod touch. That's true, and that's a given. But with the accelerometer and multi-touch function, that should be enough to create a trademark game for the iPod touch. Devs need to get creative, and we'll definitely have a hit on our hands. Rolando is a ripoff of LocoRoco, and devs shouldn't be doing that. Make a game that fits the iPod touch, and IMO Zen Bound was a great step in doing that.

Hm, there's my little rant. The iPod touch may not be a gaming console, but given its capabilities, it could well be if the devs get their act together. We have too many shitty games on the App Store. Too many shitty ports. We don't want ports, we want an actual game built for the iPod touch/iPhone. Then, and only then, will we be able to compete with the bigger boys.

Until then, we're stuck with a bunch of pick-up-and-play games. But hey, most people are into that kind of thing anyway. That's why the devs make what they make; and this is one of the reasons why the iPod touch/iPhone won't be taken seriously.

14. inferi22

inferi22 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    i havent touche my ds for anything but chrono trigger since i bought my touch whilsy(awesome word) im on my touch daily

15. Kamazar

Dec 13, 2008
    +1

You got my point across perfectly. Well, except for the PSP part. I stopped being a Nintendo fanboy only about 2 years ago. Getting one would've sent me into shock.

16. inferi22

inferi22 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009

17. Kamazar

Dec 13, 2008

18. crimson.

Mar 9, 2009
    I don't have one...
    In AMERICA.
    #18 crimson., Apr 18, 2009