Iphone sync for Developing

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by olliewollie, Nov 14, 2010.

1. olliewollie

olliewollie Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Student
    Australia
    #1 olliewollie, Nov 14, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
    I am thinking about developing a game.

My current iphone syncs with a windows pc for it's apps, Music etc.
    My question is, if I was to plug it into my mac could I use it as the developer device without having to erase all data?

2. DropDKeith

DropDKeith Well-Known Member

Indeed you can. I do this all the time with my iPhone. Sync with my PC and use it for development with my Macs. No data lost. :)

3. pchukwura

pchukwura Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2010
    Co-Founder/Software Engineer
    Atlanta
    The real question is...why are you using your PC when you posses a Mac? :D

4. olliewollie

Sep 10, 2010
    Student
    Australia
    Great, thanks.

5. olliewollie

Sep 10, 2010
    Student
    Australia
    Had a pc before mac and can't be bothered to go through the steps of switching other to the mac for itunes. All that downloading, Loss of game data, egghhh.!

6. GlennX

GlennX Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    UK
    I was set up like this for ages (syncing iTunes on my PC 'server', developing on my macbook) and it's arguably the best way to work. When you sync on your dev machine the extra time taken (for even a sync where nothing changes) between plugging your device in and being able to run/debug on that device is surprisingly annoying. Sure, you can make the device not auto-sync but that is even more annoying when you realise those apps/podcasts/songs you recently downloaded aren't on your phone because you forgot to click on 'sync'...

Whatever the mac snobs say, iTunes on the mac is only infinitesimally better than the Windows version. The only valid reason I switched is for beta OSes. 4.2 for example has had a 'GM' release for two weeks or so now and until yesterday, only the mac had an iTunes that could install it.

7. olliewollie

Sep 10, 2010
    Student
    Australia
    So I make sure that when I plug my iphone in I turn auto sync of to avoid it wipping all my data off.

Should I log-in on the mac in iTunes and make it "Can't remember what it was called" to allow my ipod?