iPhone review websites selling YOUR email address?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by VoodooVyper, May 11, 2009.

1. VoodooVyper

VoodooVyper Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2009
    I know this should probably be in the lounge, but it affects more people here than anything. I have an email address that I use only when I sign up to iPhone review sites and when devs give out promo codes on the forums.

Just recently, my inbox is being spammed with junkmail (mostly things like 'Hi, were a retail based out of China') that can't be unsubscribed from.
    I have a feeling it's more to do with the review sites than anything, because it seems most of them will do almost anything to have their costs covered. But selling our email address to third party companies without our consent is a dirty trick.
    Has anybody else been receiving this similar type of junk mail, if so, do you know which website you recently registered to?

Again, sorry if this is in the wrong section, but more of you should care than in the Lounge.

2. worldcup1100

worldcup1100 Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Hasn't happened to me yet...
    In fact I have have had no spam lately.
    Luck for me, sucks for you.:(

3. Stykman

Stykman Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Beta Tester, Student
    United States
    i get many emails from like some lawyer in like england who says that i am the heir to a fortune..... WTF!!!!

im not even british!!!

4. VoodooVyper

Jan 25, 2009
    Jeez, it was already moved. Guess the mods didn't understand :\

5. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    Happened to me too

Within the past three days i'm getting spam when i've had this account for years without a single piece of spam mail

6. pablo19

pablo19 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
    You agree to "terms and conditions" this allows them to do everything they want with your e-mail address, legally. Just like facebook can use your pics and your info for their own purposes

7. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    you sure your email address isn't exposed anywhere on a forum post or otherwise.

Just google your full email address and see if it turns up. If it does, that's how you are getting spam.

I doubt people are selling your email address. iPhone review sites are pretty small. It takes a lot of email addresses I think to be worth selling.

arn

8. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    voodoovyper, I just googled your email address and found it had been posted a couple of times on the web. spam bots crawl the web specifically for email addresses and add them to spam lists. that's the explanation.

arn

9. Stykman

Stykman Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Beta Tester, Student
    United States
    mine was posted 4 times 2 times on TA for beta testing once on pixilthismobile.com for beta testing and another to win a promo code on danny95's review site.....

10. VoodooVyper

Jan 25, 2009
    #10 VoodooVyper, May 11, 2009
    Last edited: May 11, 2009
    I started using a different email address after I joined this site. The one associated here isn't used on (most) other iPhone sites. I will try googling the other one.

Edit: Just did it and found ones similar to mine (different punctuation), but not mine specifically. The email address is fairly new (1 or 2 months) and is only associated with a few iPhone sites (maybe 3 or 4).

11. THEDeliriumTrigger

THEDeliriumTrigger Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    That would do it.

Now i wanna search mine...

Hmm, only once!

12. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    I get spam alot form my e-mail being posted alot on Appmania (various places and no advertising intended) and I've got a ton saying I've won some british lotery lol. And I'm like what?? And I'm the only one that has access to registered e-mails on Appmania and I dont sell them cause I know you hate spam and so do I lol. (no advertising intended)