iPad Iphone originals

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ianlow32, Mar 3, 2009.

1. ianlow32

ianlow32 Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2008
    listing down what i think are wholly iphone originals and wondering how these could be turned into franchises, and maybe ported to other platforms ....

so not gonna talk about puzzle quests, and other mobile originated stuff or clones like vector tanks, but original intellectual properties like below:

rolando
    sway
    zen bound
    ancient frog
    idracula
    fieldrunners
    trism

Can any of these make it on other platforms?
    And how viable are they as future franchises like locoroco and bejeweled etc?
    if yes to both, how can apple or any other major publisher help push these IPs?

I am thinking that if an iphone game can do so well here, these developers (most are indies) should have a chance to get their games played with as wide exposure as possible.

I think they fully deserve it!

2. Sambo110

Sambo110 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Australia
    Zen Bound is basically a better version of Zen Bondage. And there are enough puzzle games and tower defenses out now. But the others COULD be released on other platforms I guess, but they would need to be changed. And probably work the best on the Wii IMO.

3. iGewappnet

iGewappnet Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Mainz, Germany
    I would say Trism and especially Fieldrunners could be successes on other mobile platforms. Rolando looks so similar to Locoroco that it is a wonder they were not sued.

4. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    iDracula could work with dual analog stick.

Sway could work on Wii with some modifications in control scheme.

Fieldrunners and other TD games are inspired by computer games, so even though they're not really iPhone originals and can be easily ported back to computer.

5. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    iDracula would be fun on a psp (controls will probably have to be modified) or a ds (d-button + stylus) but it'll probably need more levels, coop play and some more unlockable goodies to make it a full priced psp or ds game.

6. Paulio

Paulio Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Local IGA (supermarket)
    Tasmania, Australia
    Most could prob do well on 360 arcade or equivilant. That's about as far as they'll go tho..

7. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member

Apr 19, 2008
    - ngmoco is iFund seeded, so I don't think they'll move out of the iPhone platform anytime soon.
    - ZenBound was a PC game first (Zen Bondage)
    - Ancient frog. I suppose. don't think it's succesful enough yet
    - iDracula - maybe after it's fleshed out
    - Fieldrunners - I would see this since it's gotten so much recognition and could be played on another platform easily
    - Sway and Trism - kinda loses a big part of it's appeal without iPhone controls.

Toy Bot is another iPhone original.

arn

8. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    touchgrind, also is.

Could be played on NES track and field running pad!:D

9. Phreakuency

Phreakuency Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    95% of the games are ripped off 'real' games so they don't deserve to make it to the real gaming platforms.

In fact, if they were on other platforms and no iPhone/iPod, I bet there would be lawsuits against quite a few of them.

The devs who are in it for money, fine. But the devs who think their games have made them proper devs to be noticed are kidding themselves.

10. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Fair enough, but I doubt 95%.....

11. russiaone

russiaone Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Pimp
    San Francisco
    Were you fired?

What do you mean "real gaming platforms?"

The iPhone is certifiably a "real gaming platform."

There's so much wrong with your statement.

12. ianlow32

Dec 31, 2008
    man i didnt know zen bound is from a pc game ... same designer as well ... so i guess its not as original as i hoped

but i am really rooting for ancient frog to make transition to wiiware and mobiles ... i think it will make a cool casual game with its easy concept and great graphics

13. aniguchisan

aniguchisan Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    A very nice and honest post, giving due credit where it's deserved. Showing appreciation for games like these will only encourage it's developers to produce more original/unique material.

14. ianlow32

Dec 31, 2008
    Now if apple can feature them in the main website ... and feature all these new great gems .. now that would go a long way

15. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Blue Skies and iFishing were designed from the ground up for the iPhone. I have been working on porting Blue Skies to XNA so you'll see it on Xbox Community games this year. I may port iFishing and Dark Raider as well, if xbox sales prove to be worthwhile.

16. Dio

Dio Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Hmmm... Isn't Galcon also from a PC game? I doubt it could go onto any other platform with ease.

17. Actually, when I designed Petri, one of the things on my mind was whether or not it would be possible to transfer it to another system or not. I wanted to take advantage of the controls that the iPhone offered, which is something quite different from the kinds of controls that other games systems have.

One question developers may have to deal with is whether their design is something which suits the iPhone specifically, in which case it may be difficult to port elsewhere. I think the iPhone does have a number of game ideas which are clearly ports of concepts or ideas which were taken from other systems, often consoles with button controls. Its not that this is bad, necessary, but I am personally more interested in developers who look at the unique strengths of the iPhone and design a game based around it, whether the accelerometer or multi-touch or whatever.

These games may never leave the iPhone. But I feel as though the classics of the iPhone as a gaming device will be found in those kinds of games.

18. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    #18 Mew2468, Mar 3, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
    How about green hand = WiiMote; red hand= Nunchuck. And you hit "B" or "C/Z" to grab on.

19. Ph4ntom4

Ph4ntom4 Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2009
    You can't call Fieldrunners an original iPhone game, because it's a clone of tower defense games on PC.

Space ninja could be good on Wii I guess.

20. iGewappnet

iGewappnet Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Mainz, Germany
    But the way it is put together is very unique. TD games on PCs are something for geeks. Fieldrunners manged to make this genre appeal to everyone.