iPad Iphone games in November 2009

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Vende, Nov 13, 2008.

1. Vende

Vende Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    What are people's impressions/expectations by then? Will we have true PSP and DS quality games by then; will those games cost more than $9.99; what kinds of games can we expect; will multiplayer take off; will the iphone effectively replace other game consoles; will mobile phones effectively replace all game consoles;

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are where we'll be next year

2. jonaswills

jonaswills Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Game Developer
    Colorado
    I'm hoping it expands in all directions... there is enough room for it all, so why not? No way will it replace all consoles... it targets a more casual gamer, generally, and hard core gamers are always going to be playing consoles. I wonder if it could take a bite out of the DS market though, which does also target casual gamers(unlike the psp).

3. fpugirl

fpugirl Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2008
    South Bay CA
    I for one have not picked up my DS in like 4 months and really have no desire to play it because it is just one extra thing I have to carry around when I am out and about. So I definitely seeing it take away from some of that market. I think one huge barrier it has right now though is the battery....especially for the iphone. Maybe by nov 2009 it will be a longer lasting battery allowing for longer games.

4. salsamd

salsamd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA

Agreed. One of the iphone's greatest points of leverage within the gaming market is that it is a principle accessory–people will always carry it with them. There is an inherent activation energy to port around n +1 accessories, such as a separate gaming console, which only the serious gamers buy anyway. Furthermore, these serious gamers are a relatively small fraction of the potential gaming market as a whole–the much larger market being those who have cell phones (iphones specifically) and need to pass time during random periods of the day/night.

5. superbad

superbad Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    CEO. Reviewer. Beta Tester.
    You need to stalk me?
    i have 3 ipods, a psp, a ds original, a ds lite and all i carry now is my iphone.

why?

portability and fairly great games almost at par with console games.

6. Indy

Indy Well-Known Member

May 26, 2008
    I'm hoping November will be huge for iphone games.

I'm still waiting for this Tiger Woods '09 to come out, can't wait to see what EA can come up with as far as accelerometer controls and what not. Hopefully they don't screw it up with a bunch of extra crap.

As far as the future of iphone gaming within a years time?

I think the online gaming scene is where its at personally. Yea yea, this is gonna be a huge battery hog. Were starting to see some more games transfer over to the online multiplayer compatibility and I hope it catches on like wildfire.

I love online gaming in general and I think having this power in your pocket whenever, wherever you are besides sitting at home on your 360 or at your pc (I know complete different platforms) would be just fantastic.

7. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    If they keep improving the battery, and maybe the GPU (Graphics Processor) Yea I think Iphone will destroy the mobile gaming market... Keep in mind Iphone has a leg up on all the competition in regards to the games and apps it gets. The G1 Android Google phone has thier own version of the app store, but the graphics and central processor are too underpowered to deliver game quality like we have now, and I'm on a year old 2G Iphone... I think if Apple continues in the direction they are headed and can continually improve on the hardware we will be set WAY ahead of the rest...

8. jlake02

jlake02 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Manager
    Los Angeles
    I think we'll be seeing a lot more online multiplayer games.

9. jonaswills

Nov 11, 2008
    Game Developer
    Colorado
    It will never be destroyed.... there is always enough room for more than one platform and Nintendo will never die because they have so many followers and some many loved franchises which they won't allow on the iPhone. It is funny though, a few years ago I read some rumors that Apple was looking to buy Nintendo but it will never happen because Nintendo will never sell itself to a foreign company.

Android also, is an OS, not the hardware.... as more come out iPhone will have some more competition... there will be better hardware for the android, heck, if someone wanted to they could put android on the iphone hardware with a lot of work. Just something to keep an eye out for.

10. I completely agree because I have done exactly the same. My DS hasn't come out of it's case since the app store launched. It's games cost so much more. You have to have a cartridge for each game that's not only more awkward having to swap every time you want to play something new, but also takes up more room as you will no doubt require a case to store them in. The games don't come with free updates. You have to order them online and wait for delivery or buy them in a shop.
    Obviously Nintendo are in the process of taking steps to overcome some of these issues. But until then, we are proof that the app store is certainly having an effect on Nintendo's sales.

11. 1337brian

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    No my point was missed I think, I was saying that iPhone's Hardware is already WAY WAY WAY ahead of the game in terms of mobile gaming for phones. Therefore by the time we have some more android phones come out, we'll be on iPhone 3. So yes iPhone won't "destroy" the mobile gaming market, but it will be the top contender to beat.

P.S. Why would we want Android as an OS?

12. 1337brian

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    That's why you have an R4 or DSX, But even then to devolop for DS or PSP you have to have some serious money, the App store has made it possible for anyone to become a devoloper. More Dev's = More Games = More Junk? Possibly but DS and PSP has thier fair share of Junk games themselves. I think DS and PSP have both caught onto the whole Digital distribution method, But it will take them time to implement it in a way that Apple has done...

13. jonaswills

Nov 11, 2008
    Game Developer
    Colorado
    its a phone OS, so it doesn't matter what hardware it goes onto. The G1 has crap for hardware. I think there will be a lot of android phones coming out with a wide range of different features,... can't say if they will be better or worse than iPhone but we'll just have to see.

14. thom-22

thom-22 Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    San Diego
    I think this is a critical point. It's not just hardcore gamers that will continue to prefer DS/PSP to iPhone, it's also kids (wrt DS, at least). I just went to my nephew's 9th birthday party and all they could talk about was the latest Pokemon game. My nephew loves to play games on my iPod touch, but nothing (except his growing up, I guess) will get him away from Pokemon and other Nintendo exclusives that appeal so much to kids.

15. gnadenlos

gnadenlos Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2008
    I hope the next iPhone will solve the control pad and battery problem. These are the main problems that prevent the iPhone from being a complete gaming system.

It is great for touchscreen games like Tower Defense, SRPGs, card-, board- and puzzle games, but i don't see me playing many other genres unless I get a better solution for the controls.

Gyro controls may work good for some games with cut down gameplay like SolarQuest (a really good game by the way), but for most games it is no real substitute for a control pad. Just try to add enemies to SolarQuest for example and the controls won't be accurate enough to play the game.

16. 1337brian

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Thom great point! Exclusive is the key word, and it has been for a very long time, All the way back to the original Nintendo with Mario, PS2 With GTA, Xbox Had Halo. I guess it will always be he who has the best games wins?
    So i would say my prediction for best handheld this time next year??? Well the DSi Looks like junk and I haven't heard of a new PSP other than the 3000 so if there is a frontrunner for the mobile game wars next year I still stand by my previous prediction of the iPhone being the top contender...

17. 1337brian

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    I wish Apple would make a 1st party solution and add the compatibility to the SDK. That way a devoloper can choose to include the contoller adapter scheme or not. But the only way I can see this is for Apple to make it themselves. Could it be possible for a 3rd party controller to work? I guess that company could just give the code out themselves to Dev's?

18. hyk

hyk Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2008
    With the way people are complaining about 99c games being too expensive, there might be no room to grow at all. All the game makers will just get kicked out by their landlords for falling behind on their rent.

19. shift_gc

shift_gc Member

Nov 11, 2008
    The iphone will never overtake the DS for several reasons. The iphone is subscription based and while the games are cheaper most people already have phones and don't want to get a brand new 2 year contract to get a phone. Yes a lot of people have bought iphones but not for the apps. There are still a lot of kids in America who have DS and are not looking to upgrade to an iphone of all things...

Another reason is because the biggest market for the DS is in Japan where they are not embracing the iPhone simply because they have had phones that do all the things the iphone does and more for years. Maybe not in the apple style but I have literally heard a Japanese person here say the iphone doesn't even have a barcode reader like most of the phones in Japan. If that is the criteria for their phones over there the iphone has a tremendous hill to climb.

20. TMAC34

TMAC34 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2008
    New York
    '09

gaming on the iPhone is already better than other handhelds, and by then, other handheld gaming systems will have lower business because the iPhone and touch will demolish them by then. I mean really, $40-60 for DS/PSP game or $10 max for iPhone game. That's a tough one. Anyways i will be in college by then wooohooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!