iPhone Games Forum Split

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by arn, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    i think the forums are fine as they are right now.

2. touch_me

touch_me Active Member

Jan 20, 2009
    I think we should leave the current setup like the way it is. Dividing the forums up in several section will make many people miss many things.

People usually don't have time to check each thread, let alone browse 3-4 different forums. I also think the current layout of the forum is the reason for great traffic.

As an example, HowardForums has broken its "Rogers" section to include an iPhone section. Now although I am currently on Rogers and using iPhone, I am ONLY checking the iPhone section lately which makes me miss many great deals that are posted under Rogers section.

I would really hate to have the same experience here.

3. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    I agree, Arn. I didn't think either of those suggestions was particularly good. I was hoping, though, that something better would emerge if we started throwing options out there. How to break things up without being arbitrary and making the resulting sections be useful? The $64,000 question...

4. Misguided

Jan 27, 2009
    Apologies for speaking out of turn, but I think the concern from the admin point of view is that people might be missing many threads because the traffic is so heavy in the existing forum. As I mentioned previously, the challenge is to balance that concern with yours (that people won't visit the new forum areas as much).

5. menom

menom Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    photography
    London, UK.
    as long as there's a way of excluding all the mafia facebook nonsense, I'll be happy ;)

6. Myrobotwillneverdie

Myrobotwillneverdie Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    SEPDX
    +1 I like it this way

7. To be honest, I agree about the game section been too busy now- I have given up trying to keep up with all the threads there.
    But if we are going to have an 'older games' section it ought to be named something different, as 1 or 2 weeks is hardly old (I think someone else mentioned this too). If people see 'older games' in the forum list, they may not bother, which means developers sales dropping due to lack of attention in the forum (and yes, I am thinking of myself when my own app gets released- why shouldn't I?).
    Also, from a mods perspective, how much work is this going to be, constantly moving threads posted in the wrong section just because a game came out longer than a week before etc? I can see a headache coming on!

Perhaps just stick to Coming Soon and Out Now.

8. snow_mani

snow_mani Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Or maybe:

1) Coming Soon
    2) New Releases
    3) Games

This avoids calling the older releases "old".

Perhaps it is possible to make these changes easier for the admins/mods by having any threads started say 1 week ago automatically moving into the games forum a week after they started, and so on?

9. le'deuche123

le'deuche123 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    I think this is the most logical progression.

10. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    I like it. It has a "clean" feeling to it.
    If 2 weeks is too short to be in the new release section, what about after 1 month? 1 month under new release is fair....no?
    Of course, from the admin/mods perspective, the challenge is to keep up with the dates of when things should get moved...

11. stitchemwords

stitchemwords Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    What happens if there is a huge update to a game ? For example, the new version of Stitch'em Words is expected to have so many new features that it SHOULD actually be released as a new game.
    So would it go in "New Releases" or "Games" ? If it goes under "Games", most devs will lose much motivation to bring out new features to the games already released as we all can expect 5:1 ratio for New Release:Games section in terms of user participitation and it would hardly make any sense to work on features if you are not even going to get exposure.

12. Yes, that's the point I made. I can see most viewers just keeping an eye on the new release section and ignoring the older (for want of a better word) game section most of the time, which is concerning from a devs point of view. Although this isn't the only forum for iPhone games, I know- but it is regarded by many as the best.
    Of course updates still show up on AppShopper etc too, so devs don't purely rely on forums for publicity.

13. Misguided

Jan 27, 2009
    Perhaps a separate forum for (upcoming/new/newly updated) might be a reasonable way to go. In any event I think a system of that nature should depend on posters to make threads in the right forum and not require mods to move things about. Thus I think a thread should be created in the appropriate spot and should remain there as long as people want to discuss it, rather than having it moved to a different forum after an arbitrary length of time.

14. Master Shake

Master Shake Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2008
    A section to talk about games that aren't out yet would be a good idea I believe but to split the game section for games that are out still sounds bad.

15. Wegmans

Wegmans Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    Is there a way to make the forum page show more threads? They currently are 20 long.. When I've been away from TA for a while, I open each page in a new tab in Safari (Safari 4 now) and so I'll look at maybe the most recent 3 or 4 pages, but yeah anything older isn't likely to be brought up... If it was split up, I think it would cut down on people spamming the same thread over and over...

Good ideas though!

16. schooze

schooze Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2008
    #56 schooze, Mar 3, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
    I really think something needs to be done fast one thread i recently started about the game crayon ball sunk faster than an anchor, looking at the Games Forum all the posts on the front page are all whiten the last hour and some games have multiple threads devoted to them, I don't have a problem with that just that it takes away from other game threads being on the front page, with the current system. I hope that you took my suggestion to heart about splitting it up because old and new I just don't think would work. I thought it should be by Upcoming Games, Games Out, Game Suggestions, and Games on Sale.
    Thanks

17. ibelongintheforums

ibelongintheforums Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Game recomendations forum
    Games released
    Un-released games
    no sperate promo or anything just add those to and clutter goes WAY down

18. Dio

Dio Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Hmm.. I think that the forums are fine. My suggestion for it would be to split it like...
    -Game Talk
    -Game Updates
    -Strategies

I was thinking what people thought about a Senior Members only section, that way those who are really bugged by the Junior Members posts, they can just have a different section to look at.

Idk, just trying to add more ideas.

19. pante

pante Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    somewhere
    i would rather do it this way:
    upcoming games
    released games
    promo codes

:)

20. Dio

Dio Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    OK, how about..

Games
    Upcoming/Updates

Game Talk
    -->Promo codes
    -->Strategies

LOL, it's too much for my brain. I'll leave it up to everyone else and I'll pitch in a vote.