iPhone Games Forum Split

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by arn, Feb 21, 2009.

1. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    Hi guys,

The iPhone game forum has massive traffic, making it difficult to keep up. The first page of topics only reflects the last hour or so of posts.

So in interest of splitting attention more evenly, I think it makes sense to split the forum into sub categories. Based on how this forum is used, I think it's best to have the following split:

Upcoming Games
    New Games (Out for less than 1 week)
    Older Games (Out for longer than 1 week)

Unfortunately, this will require some manual movement of threads from New games to Old games over time. But overall should help exposure for all games. Depending on how that breakdown works in practice, we could change the "1 week" period longer.

thoughts?
    arn

2. snow_mani

snow_mani Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    #2 snow_mani, Feb 21, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
    I would add Coming Soon

I would also add a sub forum called "Coming Soon". For games that are not yet released. EDIT: And another one where devs can post promo codes.

Of course, it will be a lot more work for you site admins and mods...

3. arn

arn Administrator

Apr 19, 2008
    I think "Upcoming Games" would handle the "Coming Soon" :)

arn

4. snow_mani

snow_mani Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hah! I missed the Upcoming Games!

5. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    #5 rIcHrAnDoM, Feb 21, 2009
    Yes , I agree, alot of traffic. I think, as you mentioned, maybe 2 weeks for "new" releases.

EDIT: is there any way that the one for promos can be "locked" to non-member lurkers or "code snipers"???? Please. I'll even change my sig.

6. spmwinkel

spmwinkel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    How about topics for apps like Pocket God, which is getting weekly updates at the moment.
    Will it be in the Older Games group, or will it be pushed back to the New Games with every update?

I assume that the Older Games is meant for topics that are not so active anymore, since the hype is often in new/upcoming games topics. But Pocket God is different.
    I understand that this is an exception and you need to create general rules that work for most of the games. But still in order to create such a system, it's good to think about the exceptions and how to deal with those. :)

When I wake up and read up on the forums, there's often 4 pages of new topics. I'm in Europe, so it may be different for people in the US. I think that in a week, there are 8-16 pages of new topics that are popular for a little while and than fade to the background.

Are you thinking about moving topics weekly (all out, and new stuff comes in) or on a daily basis? It would be a LOT of work. Maybe then you'd have to make a rule for "One topic for each game", which would also create a large discussion (if you're allowing for a discussion, that is).

Not an easy decision.

7. arn

arn Administrator

Apr 19, 2008
    I think the Older Games would be exactly for something like Pocket God. I think the interest in existing games is very different than interest in brand new games. A major game update would get a new thread in the Old Games area. Only 1.0 versions of games would appear in the New games section.

At it's simplest level I think that threads could automatically be moved from New to Old after a certain timeframe, but the time frame depends on how many thread that would be in practice.

arn

8. arn

arn Administrator

Apr 19, 2008
    so looking at the thread list now

upcoming

metal gear solid touch
    zen bound
    IGN covers Bailout Bonanza

new

geodefense
    idracula
    the quest
    shooter
    snake XT
    puzzle quest free
    aqua moto racing lite
    rouge touch
    vector tanks
    fusion

old

pocket god
    space x update
    mafia
    bobble surfer
    imafia
    arvale: journey of illusion
    vase craze
    edge

9. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

"Old" feels... well... old ;). We aren't talking about abandonia, but about games, who are a few weeks or months old. "Old" does not fit as a description. Many of us didn't even start playing these "old" games, because of so much new stuff... And the chance to take a look at "old" games goes to zero, when we call them "old" games.

10. spmwinkel

spmwinkel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    That looks really good.

11. nattylux

nattylux Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Washington, DC
    #11 nattylux, Feb 21, 2009
    New - Little Red Sled :)

Here's the latest thread: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=5423&highlight=sled

12. butters

butters Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Me likey very much. :)

One suggestion though. How about a section for all those daily requests like 'best 0.99$ puzzle game?', 'best free app?', 'anything like XY on iTunes?', etc.?

13. Diablohead

Diablohead Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Freelancer, PC game developer
    Having sections for upcoming, new and older games would be great but i'd be against an area just for promo codes, that should just be posted in the same threads as the related games.

14. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    I think that would work pretty well. The only issue I see, is not that big of one, but people posting in the wrong threads. After some time I'm sure everyone will pick it up no problem though. Also I do second the motion on having a thread just for promo's.

15. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    Sounds good. I wish there were a promo code forum and a graphics designer forum. :)

16. schooze

schooze Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2008
    I don't know about a section for new and old games if you were going to split it I would say it should be upcoming games, games currently out, game suggestions (for those looking for a game to buy) and games on sale.

17. BulletDev

BulletDev Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    produce applications under "Bullet Development"
    Vancouver, BC
    I like this idea. The forum is going to need some Macforum-like attention if it will stay clean.

Maybe even a Wasteland!

18. nizy

nizy Well-Known Member

I like the idea. Should help with navigation and finding new topics. Just make sure you update the rules (posting in the correct forum) and clearly state on each sub-forum what type of topics should be posted there to try to minimize users posting in the wrong forum!

Only other sections i can think of are: "price drops/sales" and "game updates", but these might be covered in the "old games" section.

Will the links on the homepage be updated accordingly, with each sub-forum shown in the new posts lists?

19. arn

arn Administrator

Apr 19, 2008
    yes, the homepage forum links would be partitioned accordingly.

arn

20. ibelongintheforums

ibelongintheforums Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    #20 ibelongintheforums, Feb 21, 2009
    thanks arn for being active here.
    maybe there should be a

released game
    upcoming games
    promo codes
    game decsions