iPhone Game Cheats

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Wegmans, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Wegmans

Wegmans Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    I personally believe that there's a pretty good market for an iPhone Cheats website...

If you try Gamespot or IGN, they usually have brief reviews of the games (maybe but more delayed than Touch Arcade) but they never really have any info on beating a game, or any cheats/strategies.

My point is that most people looking to do better in a game comes to these small websites for info (look for FieldRunners strategy threads) and therefore we are doing the job FOR the bigger websites.

Do you guys think we should have a game Help/Cheat section? Would you be angry if you read a thread that gave away the ending on a game (like Force Unleashed) or read how to solve some strategy (Pakoon3?)

Sorry for the rant, but I think there's a lot of value in this collaborative thing we have going.. There's a lot of value in a competent community

2. McChikun

McChikun Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Hrm... Do any iPhone games actually have cheats yet? I haven't run into any yet. I do agree that at least a separate category in the forum exclusively for Help/Strategies makes sense. Usually I go to gamefaqs for this sort of thing, but they don't have an iPhone section yet, and the community on this site has been great with helping players through games.

3. McChikun

McChikun Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
    By the way, Wegmans, are you from upstate New York? Wegman's is a grocery market chain from that area, and it is the best of its kind.

4. Wegmans

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    I went to school in Upstate NY so I have ties to Wegmans, but currently i'm in MD.. hopefully you only have good things to say about it!

5. jonaswills

jonaswills Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Nov 11, 2008
    Game Developer
    Washington
    Our game, iTD, has a hidden secret/cheat that unlocks all the levels.... don't think anyone will find it anytime soon though :-D

6. Wegmans

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    Good for you for doing that! I always wonder if there's something like that... once you've coded everything, it's probably not that hard to fit in a cheat here or there!

7. Renare

Renare Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Tech Support
    Wilmore, KY
  8. McGill

McGill Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    I live in Florida now, but i sure do miss Wegmans!!! (The grocery store, not the person)

9. G0tsk1llz

G0tsk1llz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
  10. PoV

PoV Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2008
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Smiles has a few things that, while not cheats per se, might not be obvious.

In Drop Mode:
    - If you can't find a move, waiting about 10 seconds, one of the tiles will shake. That's a hint for you. :)
    - Unlike other matching games, in Smiles you can actually make moves while all the fancy effects are happening. That way, you can rack up huge, upward to million point combos.
    - Remember the tile you touch, since it immediately becomes your current tile. You can touch a tile right after to chain moves together.
    - If you're fast enough, tiles actually float. You can chain together multiple matching while they float in the air. This makes rocks waaaay easier to break, since they need to fall 4 tiles, and a normal match is 3.

In Zen Mode:
    - The easiest way to find a match is to look for pairs. Find 2, and you can make a move.
    - For Hard and Master, try to first fill the board with matches that DON'T break a pair.
    - Make sure each color has room to grow.

11. mek

mek Well-Known Member

so like a section for either:

cheat codes
    walkthroughs
    or solution screenshots

normally when i get stuck, at least when i use to play other consoles before the iphone came out...i would just google the name + cheats, or + walkthrough

so it could potentially bring in another userbase/wider audience, which is more revenue for Arn
    and it can be obviously user submitted and created

its funny, whilst about in the city, i've heard people talk about toucharcade...i think a lot of people visit it, they just may not be active in the forums...

12. Manuel Freire

Manuel Freire New Member

We included a cheat in Fan Caps to unlock all the stadiums, caps, balls and levels of difficulty. It involves touching the screen with five fingers at the same time in the single-player menu, for a specific (easy to guess) selection of items...

By the way, it doesn't work in the demo ;-).

---
    http://www.interactive-fan.com

13. Wegmans

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA

YES this is such a good thread.. The Bugdom cheat is really great, I'm so happy with that..

But yeah it could bring in more people as far as those looking for cheats/walkthroughs/tips.. something to think about :D

14. G0tsk1llz

G0tsk1llz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
  15. Sainter

Sainter Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    In TapDefense if you buy the cheap tower and upgrade it fully (costs $107) you can sell it for $108

16. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    Is $107 the price of the final upgrade or the price of all the upgrades combined?

17. Pl0cks

Pl0cks Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2008
    California
    there's a cheat for Brothers In Arms, I got before by total accident. The cheat I got was "godmode", I don't know how I got it. While I was playing I noticed in the top right corner it said "godmode" I tested it and stood still for a couple mins and took no damage at all. I'm guessing it involves in pressing a series of buttons. I am not lieing I put this on my life.

18. SydneyS

SydneyS Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Student/Classroom Aide
    Philadelphia
    I wish you had taken a screencapture. How cool.

19. Deadlock

Deadlock Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    It could be a great idea for a site.. Only problem is the fact on how do you find the cheats for the games and what not. If you could tell me that then I would start one today.

20. DukeofAnkh

DukeofAnkh Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Melbourne
    Well the cheats and walkthroughs could be written up by whoever came across them and wanted to share.

I think this is a great idea.