iPhone costs 2k

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by ccspark120, Aug 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ccspark120

ccspark120 Member

Jul 28, 2008
    most ppeople don't realize this by the new iPhone three g does over two thousand dollarsof damage to your wallet =-0 with the costs of the three g neywork and such. Personally, I would rather buy a touch............oh wait I did=-)

2. YES!!ZL!!!

YES!!ZL!!! Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Sooo, you have a different phone with free service??

So you must have gotten your cell phone for free and get free service. That's really cool, but I'd still rather have both functions in one for the convenience if nothing else and never worry about being without one. But that's just me.

3. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    I think everyone is well aware of this.

arn

4. Mchart

Mchart Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2008
    As stated, I think everyone knows this. However, any other cell phone I had cost about the same amount. I was on sprint with a centro (which cost me $300) and 60 dollars a month for 450 minutes + unlimited data. With AT&T and the iPhone it cost me only $200 for the phone itself, and i'm only paying $65 a month for 450 minutes + unlimited data.

Really not a big difference there bud. If I would have bought a touch instead, I would have paid $200 for the touch, and continue paying for the Centro (Instead of selling it for $100 on eBay) on Sprint. That would have not saved me much money.

You should think things through before you post.

5. ccspark120

ccspark120 Member

Jul 28, 2008
    I did think

ok I did think it through, I was thinking of the average 13-14 year old who says "mommy I want an iPhone" but has no real concept of the plan and the costs, I represent the people who have a normal cellphone(comes with plan) but wants a data organizer like an iPhone/itouch I get my phone for 10$ a month by the way so maybe I'm just old fashioned like that!and even though I slightly disagree with arn I think he made the point fair enough. So I think maybe you should think about other people before YOU post; gosh does everyone gotta make problems?

6. mavis

mavis Well-Known Member

Funny, because I think you should think about other people before you post.

$2000 for the iPhone? I wish!!! I'm on a 26 month contract, at $90 per month, not including ANY calling allowance to other carrier's phones, landlines, or evenings/weekends. So that's $2,340 PLUS calling time (billed at $0.40/minute!) PLUS the $500 I spent on my ETF. You do the math. :rolleyes:

And yet, you don't see me complaining about the cost. Why? Because I bought the iPhone knowing full well how much it would cost. I bought it because it was worth it to me. If you think the iPhone is overpriced, I'd suggest voting with your dollars - don't buy one. It's really quite simple.

7. ccspark120

ccspark120 Member

Jul 28, 2008
    #7 ccspark120, Aug 27, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
    wait a second

I was not telling you not or not to buy it I was just trying to inform the UNincormed people whomight visit this thread, to think about it before asking their parents for it blindly. I'm not looking for any trouble I just want to help,
    and please nobody respond with something dumb like "well don't", and also I just checked and 4 members were active and 38 were guests who probably don't know thesethings as well as we do, like I didn't know how to take a screenshot before I saw it on a thread and that was "commen knowledge"!

8. ReformatPlanet

ReformatPlanet Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Film Producer
    NJ/NY
    Try to keep this nonsense to a minimum. I enjoy frequenting this site to read discussions that are on topic and free of flame-wars. I think it's pretty fair to think that anyone who comes here must have knowledge of the monetary commitment involved in having an iphone, since they most likely have one already. If your only just now figuring out that it's expensive, well, i hope you enjoyed your stay at that rock on Mars you've been under.

9. ccspark120

ccspark120 Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Yeah well I guess that you are right but I have known how much they cost since I just started getting getting intrested in getting my firs iPod (few months ago) but the truth is that I don't like flame wars rather so I am politely asking arn or blakespot to please close this thread......I guess it WOULD be nice to have a little tiny bit of positive reinforcement but...ok done whining thanks for posting on my thread every body and like I said please close the thread!

10. ReformatPlanet

ReformatPlanet Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Film Producer
    NJ/NY
    Just think about phrasing you statements a bit more diplomatically and people may be more inclined to actually discuss something instead of getting frustrated. This is by large a very helpful community, and i'm sure many people would be happy to discuss billing rates and fee management if your on the fence about making a commitment to the iphone.

As Mchart stated, cell phone billing rates are all over the place, and the iphone is hardly that serious of an offender when you consider the amount of functionality and options it offers. I have two iphones (Edge+3g) on a family plan with a small texting package and my bill is only 130 a month. Considering the fact my phone never leaves my side and offers useful applications for most any situation, i think thats a fair price to pay.

11. vandy1997

vandy1997 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2008
    NJ
    I don't think that ccspark120 was trying to start a flaming war. It seems like he/she was trying to be informative since he/she only recently realized that the iPhone has a contract requirement besides the purchase price. And, since his/her monthly cell phone bill is $10, then the iPhone plan will definitely cost more. So the iPhone is not the right product for ccspark120 and others who do not want to have the monthly payment. That's why Apple offers the iPod Touch as an alternative. ccspark should also understand that all iPhone 3G owners and many who wish to purchase the iPhone 3G are aware of the two-year contract requirement and that they must use AT&T in the US (for the iPhone 3G at the moment). Additionally many iPhone users have owned other smartphones and are used to paying the monthly fees for unlimited data and limited or unlimited calls and SMS messages, as applicable, and the fees charged for the iPhone plan is comparable to fees charged for other similar smartphones. These phones are not for everybody. They are sold mostly to people who are willing to pay extra to have unlimited data in addition to a phone and SMS plan. It would always be great if reates were cheaper, but the phone companies also need to make money in order to bring out new technologies and to add towers and other infrastructure so that customers will have better reception - AT&T definitely needs to work on the 3G infrastructure. Everybody's comments are welcome.

12. Spamcan

Spamcan Well-Known Member

I don't take the entire cost of the plan into account when I think about how much my iPhone costs per month because it's the same plan I've had for a decade plus $30 for data. $30 a month is less then I pay for slower DSL service. The day I realized I could have a device in my pocket with a constant internet connection for $20 more a month (iPhone 2G) was the day I decided to buy an iPhone.

13. ShadowsFall

ShadowsFall Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Summer job soon
    TA 09'
    No advertising please.

There are plenty of options to choose from besides an iPhone, if you'd like to save a bit of cash. You get the same plan with a free phone, and you'll be saving $200 right there, and to me, it's not much of a difference.

14. TakenXXDeadly

TakenXXDeadly Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Student
    This thread is 3 years old.

15. thethinice

thethinice Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Hawaii
    Ummmmm......

16. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    The OP was from 08/25/08. How the hell did anyone find this?