iPhone App/Game Page Organizer

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by dlogik, Dec 5, 2008.

1. dlogik

dlogik Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Being completely oblivious to the iPhone SDK, I'm not sure if this is even possible, I've been trying to organize my apps & games pages but it has been such a pain in the ass to do it one by one.

Is there a way to do this more efficiently than dragging one at a time? I'd like to have a page just for games, another for news, another for apps, etc.

Thanks in advance.

2. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    The only way I know that you can reorganize your apps is by dragging them. But, I have reorganized my apps so many times that I've found a little bit of an easier way to do this. You empty your bottom toolbar thing (I can't remember exactly what it's called). Then you put 4 apps + drag one to the spot you want to put them. I hope that makes sense, because it's hard to explain.

I don't know if anyone will care but here is how I have my apps organized:
    I have all my internet type of apps like Youtube, Safari, the App Store, and my personal stuff like mail and BeeJive IM on my front page of my iPod. 2nd page is full of other personal apps (mostly utilities and productive apps). Third page is full of entertainment and photo apps. Fourth-last page is filled with games in alphabetical order.

That's my favorite way to keep my apps organized and so far the easiest way. Just in case you were wondering ^

Hope that first tip helps though :)

3. dlogik

dlogik Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Moving 5 apps at once is much better than 1...never even thought of that, thanks for the tip! Hopefully iTunes or the iPhone itself will have a better way to organize things besides dragging and dropping between 9 pages.

:D

4. istopmotion

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    No problem. :) What I really want is folders. Even if it means I can only have up to 162 apps on my iPod - or whatever the limit is. I just want to be able to have folders so I don't have to go through 9 different screens, and instead, I can keep all my folders on one or two pages.

5. nizy

nizy Well-Known Member

I don't see how that really fixes your issue - surely you'll just be scrolling through folders instead?

My idea would be to improve the current system so that a two finger swipe whilst on any home screen brings up a list/preview of your 9 pages, kinda like Expose or Spaces on Leopard. It would be even better if you could somehow name your screens as well. Maybe when moving apps around you could then have an option to place it on a particular page?

6. istopmotion

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    Yes, but I could at least organize all my apps in very specific categories (action games, puzzle games, adventure games, etc.) And I just hate having all those pages. I'd rather have a page full of folders and the first home page.

7. nizy

nizy Well-Known Member

Well i guess everyone wants something different from their iPhone/Touch.

Personally, i would dislike a folder based system, but being able to properly sort apps is a must. Like i said, i'd like to be able to name each page and then 2-finger swipe to select any other page.

8. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    Apple needs a whole new organization system, with categories or something--and at the very least, easier ways to move icons around. Ideally, I'd like to be able to re-arrange my apps within iTunes on my computer, with mouse, multi-select, and the ability to see ALL the pages at once.

In the meantime, here's a tip I recently figured out (in addition to the excellent dock tip above):

Dragging an icon across several pages will shuffle one icon out of place on EVERY page you cross over. Clean up in Aisle 6! Maddening--unless you drag to the edge really fast and nothing has time to get displaced.

The solution: don't drag the icon directly to the side to scroll pages. Drag it in a U-shape--down to the dock area, then over to the edge, then up that edge, carefully NOT getting away from the edge. This will trigger a scroll but will NOT displace other icons. Still annoying though: it only scrolls one page. A wiggle away from the edge will scroll more, but also risks displacing other icons. So to scroll another page safely, I recommend dragging back down to the dock (straight down) and then straight back up again along the edge.

I've had to use this when all pages are full, with no empty slots to use for dock-shuffling.

(Also--if you find your last app on your last page is gone after shuffling things around, a reboot brings it back.)

9. istopmotion

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    What I really want out of Apple is to make iPhones/iPods more customizeable. I want to jailbreak so badly, but can't because I have a 2G iTouch. And, it's not for the free games (I consider that stealing, so I'd never get cracked apps), it's so that I'd be able to customize my iPod to how I want it. I hate the black background. It was cool when I first got my iPod but I want to change it.

And I have something to add about the folders. I think they'd be more accessible than if you had to go all the way to the 9th page for something. You could have 9 folders and put 16 apps in each one (the folders instead of pages). Instead of having to swipe the screen eight times to get to the last page from the first page, you could tap once on the folder, and it would bring up all the apps in that folder on one page. That way it'd take you less time to find what you need - as long as you label them correctly. :)

I hope that makes sense

10. nizy

nizy Well-Known Member

Another thing that would be nice is Spotlight like app searching from your home screen :cool:

11. Phoenixfury

Phoenixfury Member

Nov 23, 2008
    I'd like to see Apple come up with an app that is like a cross between the app store interface and the contacts list. All of your installed apps would appear in alphabetical order, or by category depending on which tab menu you choose. However categories would match the same as they appear on the app store, and a sub category could be user defined. For instance you could have Games / Racing or Games / Puzzles ect. ect. However since those already exist in the app store, I'll create one that doesn't.. Social Networking / Instant Messengers. You get the idea.

12. Adams Immersive

Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Ohio
    I really don't see any downside to folders (or whatever you want to call a category). Just like with the OS X Dock, you can use folders if you want, but you don't have to.

They could keep the same 9-page system they have now, but if you touch and hold on any icon to enter edit mode, a New Folder button could also appear. Use it or don't--and it could be badged with a stack of the first 3 apps inside maybe. Each folder would be another 9-page set.

(Plus I think the 9-page limit should be expanded to 12.)

13. nizy

nizy Well-Known Member

That's a nice idea. Add in search functionality too and i think it would work quite nicely.

14. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    Man I would kill for folders, I have no idea why Apple hasn't implemented them yet.

15. Phoenixfury

Phoenixfury Member

Nov 23, 2008
    Two words..

Think different. LOL

16. Adams Immersive

Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Ohio
    Why not? Sounds like what Apple did with Dashboard in fact, One Widget to Rule Them All.

17. nizy

nizy Well-Known Member

My issue with folders on iPhone is that it wouldn't solve the problems at all. My main concern would be productivity as the system would be very 'tap happy' and possible quite messy.

As an example, if you had 1 home screen filled with folders like "Puzzle Games" and "Internet". Let's say you want to play "Trism", you tap the folder, the screen of apps is displayed. You play the game, close it (press home). Issue 1 is where does that take you? 1st Home screen? Back to the folder? This becomes a problematic UI issue and doesn't make sense. Lets assume you go back to the folder. Now you want to go to "Youtube" in "Internet", so you go back out of the folder, enter the new 1 etc etc etc.

In the end, I think folders would amount to no actual benefit. Using my suggestion, i would simply be able to locate any page of apps instantly, but more pages might be beneficial here.

18. Adams Immersive

Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Ohio
    Yes--back to the page you came from (folder or otherwise) just as it does now. Then, one additional press of the Home button takes you to your Page One--or, if you prefer, simply takes you out of the folder to whatever home page contains it.

And for apps you use a lot, you wouldn't put them in folders. You'd use folders for less-used items.

19. istopmotion

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    Exactly

There have been apps in the past that were folders for the iPhone but Apple won't allow them since they don't work how Apple programmed the iPhone... or something like that. They go against what you agree to with the SDK or whatever

20. Adams Immersive

Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Ohio
    I'm sure something better is coming along eventually. Cut and paste too--it's a matter of time. Mac OS has evolved--and the touch flavor will too! I don't think these requests will be ignored by Apple.

(Well... THESE specific requests will be ignored :p But I'm sure Apple is conscious of the need to do more with app management in future.)

Until then... I'll just have to delete one game for every one I add!