iPhone 8 Plus or ...

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by clapton2097, Apr 25, 2019.

1. clapton2097

clapton2097 Member

Apr 25, 2019
    I’m at an upgrade crossroads ...

Should I get an iPhone 8 Plus or XS Max?

The former has a screen-ratio that I prefer, and which seems compatible with every game under the sun.

The latter is newer, but has that weird ratio and thus half the games I own will have black bars and other issues.

I understand they both have the same processor.

However, some games have higher frame-rate on the XS, such as Asphalt 9, and others slightly better graphical features, such as Grid. I expect this trend will continue. I don’t know why if they have the same spec — perhaps a marketing thing?

One option I am thinking about was getting the iPhone 8 Plus in the short term and jumping onto the iPhone 11 or whatever comes along later in the year (who knows, maybe they’ll revert to the old screen ratio for that).

Any thoughts?

(Gaming is the number one factor: I don’t care much for facial recognition or cameras.)

2. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Actually the 8 has the A11 and the XS has the A12. Only one generation apart but Apple tends to cram a lot of performance out of their chips year over year.

Is there any reason you need a new phone right now? If you're able to, I'd wait until September for the new phones to come out, and that also means the previous generations drop in price if you don't have to have the absolute newest version.

But if you had to get a new phone right now I'd go with the XS. It's true there will be some games not optimized for the full screen of the X line but the ones that aren't just have black bars which basically just look like it would on an 8 anyway and the ones that are optimized look totally fantastic going edge to edge.