Iphone 5... Worth buying/upgrading for?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by deadlock32, Sep 15, 2012.

1. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Saw a colleague's iPhone 5 (black) today and it is pretty sweet. I'm waiting on my iPhone 4 to get unlocked, and then I'm going to order a 5 and will sell the 4 on ebay once I get the 5. Yeah! Presumably an unlocked iPhone 4 (AT&T) should sell for more than a locked one.

2. Masmo

Masmo Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Overlord
    In your pants
    Could not love my iPhone 5 any more, it's a huge upgrade to my old iPhone 4 and you can tell. Apps launch much faster and the bigger display is such a welcome addition, colours also seem better with the increased saturation. The slim profile and weight is what is really amazing though, quite unbelievable when I held it for the first time.

However, haven't really seen an increase in battery life, seems to drain out pretty fast still.

3. chris1a

chris1a Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    So got an iPhone 5 today and it's wicked fast. Love the screen too yadayada...But Maps, wtf Apple? The satellite imagery was taken with Sputnik. And on a reaaallly cloudy day. Can't see shit. Well, I hope Apple catches up fast and/or Google releasing an updated Maps for iOS.

4. LuisKey

LuisKey Member

Oct 19, 2012
    I have bought an iPHONE4S,yes,the iPHone4s is good,when compared to iPhone5,maybe the iPhone5 is more excellent,but I will not buy it, I have to another pay 3 to 4 hundred bucks for this phone, waiting in long lines wow, and I have to buy all new accessories and all to operate it.

5. chris1a

chris1a Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    You can use is it as a maracas, lots of loose parts in it. And I use idevices for music so it's a nice bonus..

6. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Quick question. iPhone 5, Black one or white one?
    Black looks pretty cool and kinda 'stealthy'. White looks classy and a little bit different with the silver.
    But which is better to buy?

7. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    My mother bought the white one and I feel as if the antenna looks too flashy/shiny. It also gives it a cheap plastic look. I do recommend to look at them in stores and disregard my advice though.

8. Jacob007

Jacob007 Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Indiana
    Woohoo! Got my iPhone 5 after deciding I needed the iPhone 5 instead of the iPod 5 (I came to the iPhone 5 from the iPod 4). It's smooth as butter and the screen is much bigger, and I can notice a difference in gaming.
    All in all, its just technical/internal things such as making it faster, thinner, and giving it a bigger screen, but if you own a lower device and are willing, you might as well upgrade.

9. beefycow

beefycow Member

Oct 13, 2012
    If you already have a 4S and not eligible for a new subsidized phone then I would just wait because presumably the "5S" or something will be out soon. But if you must have features like 4G/LTE then it's not even a question because the iPhone 5 is a very good upgrade from the 4S.

10. Snozberry

Snozberry Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2012
    I have owned nothing but apple phones since about.. 2008 I think it was when I got my first iPhone 2g.. Might have been 2007 but I don't think so.
    Anyway, every year I upgraded, then it became every second year.. Now I still have my iPhone 4 I was waiting for the iPhone 5 to upgrade because I wasn't impressed eith the 4s not enough changes.. And one the 5 is out, I'm still like meh.. I'm not that fussed on it.. The only thing that makes it desirable is because it's the latest model, it doesn't seem to offer anything more than the 4s other than it's slightly longer..
    Then I randomly came across the galaxy note 2.. Usually I wouldn't go anywhere near anything that wasn't apple because I love the AppStore and games and no other company can really compete with that.. But then I realized I can just use my iPad nd iPod for apple games/apps.. And get a samsung for phone use.. It looks awesome, has heaps of awesome features, and can run emulators so easily.. On a nice big screen playing Mario kart.. You can even hook it up to your tv and use it like a console.. Sadly, i doubt I'll ever get an iPhone as my main phone again.l after like over 5 years of iPhones.. I'm through.. Unless they actually follow their tag line and provide innovation in the iPhone 6.. Then I'll prob just stick to gaming on my iPad and iPod, and leaving samsung to take care of my phone calls n shit.. Least I will have the best of both words then (apple and android).

11. RoboWarrior

RoboWarrior Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2012
    The processor is a huge jump. Play wild bloods and all of that lag is literally gone. I'm kinda worried about the future of the iPhone 4S if gameloft stresses the 5 too much, the 4S would barely play games let alone the iPhone 4. The GPU is a huge step forward for mobile gaming rivaling that of the vita with upcoming games to prove that. Visually it isn't suppose to be different, in about 4 months people will probably see a bigger difference between the iPhone 5 and the 4S just like the iPhone 4 an 4S.

12. gilly78228

gilly78228 Active Member

May 22, 2011
    I just bought the iphone 4 under a 2 year contract with AT&T, is there a huge difference in the 4, and the 4s?

13. The iphone 4 had a single core a4 cpu. The 4s has a dual core a5 cpu. Alot of sources say it is twice as fast.

So yes, for graphic intensive games it will matter. Some games dont even recommend an iphone 4 anymore.

But more important is the disk space. The 4s for $99 comes with 16 gb, the 4 comes with only 8gb.

8gb is just too small if you are an avid gamer. The ios, photos, etc sometimes can take up half of that space leaving little space for games.

So if you can return it, I probably would unless you are a very casual gamer. Most casual games will run fine on the iphone 4. First person shooters and 3d games not so much.

14. gilly78228

gilly78228 Active Member

May 22, 2011
    thanks. I think i'll be o.k. I just can't play certain games on such a small screen, so I wont be loading it with too many apps

15. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    I want a new design...

16. gilly78228

gilly78228 Active Member

May 22, 2011
    I was just reading online about many people getting high data usage even when they are on wi-fi, and have cellular data off. is this happening to anyone here? this doesn't look good to a soon to be iphone user ..lol