iPhone 4 or iPod Touch 4G?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by KnightRider25, Sep 22, 2010.

1. KnightRider25

KnightRider25 Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2010
    #1 KnightRider25, Sep 22, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
    Ok apparently my friend is trying to sell his iPhone 4 (not sure since I haven't look at it yet, but he bought it recently for $200 in AT&T, so it has to be the iPhone 4, and he is gonna renew the contract and buy another different phone), and not sure if to get that or the iPod Touch 4G.

There is one problem that is making me think of getting the iPod Touch 4G rather than the iPhone. It's not about the signal issue, it's about the camera. Apparently i've been reading that the camera on the iPhone 4 is not working (when you go to the app, the virtual shutter doesn't open) and is looking like a hardware problem (like some cables are not connected properly or is not receiving the signal), and that kinda sucks really. Has anyone had gotten this problem with the iPhone 4?

2. Delusionaltool

Delusionaltool Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    ohio
    knight the touch 4th gen is a huge upgrade to the old touches... however the touch 4th gen has toned down everything from the iphone 4...

iphone 4 - 512mb of ram - touch 4 - 256mb
    iphone 4 - 5mega pixel camera i think it is... touch 4 - .90 megapixel but it does shoot 720p video
    iphone 4 - ipad processor touch 4 - ipad processor underclocked a bit

As specs go iphone 4 wins hands down... if you were wanting a phone then go for a iphone4.... if there is an issue with the camera its covered under warranty im sure...and its probably a software fix anyway....

The ipod touch 4th gen is nice but its the nicest touch you can get ATM...apple just doesn't want to compete with their own product, and to keep costs low of the touch they did what they had to do...I have a droid phone so ipod touch 4th gen 32gb for me was worth it its leaps and bounds better then my 2nd gen touch....

3. KnightRider25

Sep 8, 2010
    Like I said, the camera problem is looking like it's a hardware problem, with what i've been reading in the Apple forums.

I was gonna buy the iPod Touch 4G (32GB) before my friend told me that one of her friends is selling an iPhone 4. Honestly, while the camera on the iPhone 4 is great, I really won't care much about it, i'm just happy that the Touch can now use the camera apps too (like Facefight).

Also, this will be my first time I will have an iPod Touch/iPhone, as the only thing I have was the iPod Nano 4G.

4. f e a r l e s s

f e a r l e s s Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    #4 f e a r l e s s, Sep 22, 2010
    My buddy's iPhone 4 has issues switching between video and still camera. I couldn't for the life of me get it to switch. He put the phone in his pocket and walked out of the room when I pointed that out to him. Yeah, he's fanboy material. It looks like a software problem. But, I'm no expert.

edit: Though, my two brothers with the same phones have no problem. So, it might be isolated hardware issues. I dunno.

5. Delusionaltool

Delusionaltool Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    ohio
    i had the 2nd gen touch loved it, then the 4th gen 32gb came out and 2nd gen touch has been sold to a used video game/ipod place... never would go back! if you are gonna use it for just gaming and stuff then ipod touch 4th gen is the way to go, i mean the new touch is 230 bux so if they are selling you iphone 4 for cheaper then that then go with the iphone 4 as its better hardware all around

6. KnightRider25

Sep 8, 2010
    Yeah, that's pretty much why I'm going to get the iPod Touch/iPhone, for gaming, music and websurfing, stuff like that.

Oh well, I'll have to wait until I see my friend to check if the iPhone doesn't have that camera issue.

7. lildave213

lildave213 Member

Jul 16, 2010
    I would way rather get an iPhone 4.

8. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Get the iPhone 4 if you can afford it. It beats the iPod Touch 4G in every single aspect except for thinness maybe (although I'm glad my iPhone 4 isn't as thin as the Touch 4g because it's too thin IMO).

9. Rasterico

Rasterico Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    United Kingdom
    #9 Rasterico, Sep 22, 2010
    I've had my iPhone 4 since launch and have never experienced any problems with the camera or even heard of it till it was mentioned in this thread, must be a few isolated cases that you have heard of.

10. KnightRider25

Sep 8, 2010
    #10 KnightRider25, Sep 22, 2010
    Well If I'm correct, my friend is selling her iPhone 4 (i assume it's the 4) for $200, which is a steal! (It's pretty much that she bought it, didn't like it much, and is selling it at the same price she bought it) I just need to visit her to confirm that it is a iPhone 4, since she isn't too good with knowledge with technology.

Well these are the problems I'm seeing people talk about:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2476506

http://www.product-reviews.net/2010/06/25/iphone-4-problems-camera-shutter-will-not-open/

EDIT: Ok I went to check with my friend and she had the old model (3GS), so I still was going to buy it but she already have 2 people to buy it so I'm out of luck. Oh well, I'm going to get the iPod Touch 4G anyways (32GB), so I'm going to call my local Apple Store (the only one in Puerto Rico) to check if they have it in stock.