iPhone 4 or iPod Touch 4g?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Kiwii, Sep 11, 2010.

1. Kiwii

Kiwii Well-Known Member

May 18, 2009
    Okay so I was planning to sell my iPod touch 2g and get an iPod Touch 4g.
    But then I came across thinking about getting an iPhone 4 with contract. I'm in canada so... No AT&T =D
    Anyways. Should I get an iPod Touch or iPhone 4?
    And if it is iPhone 4 I heard from rumors apple is releasing a new iPhone 4 soon that fixes signal issues? Is that all from the new possible iphone?

Gtg so I'll edit and add more later.

2. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    According to reports, the iPhone 4 has twice the RAM, a better screen, and a much better camera than the iPod Touch 4th Gen -- it is, however, heavier, thicker, and requires a comparatively pricy phone plan. The iPodTouch also comes in a 64Gb version, which for some people is a must-have.

As to the signal issue, for most people there's really no issue -- and if you're are planning to put a case on it (as I did), there's no issue for anybody. I doubt that Apple will release a brand new phone to deal with something that affects a tiny fraction of users (though they may very well improve or redesign the antenna for the next iteration.)

Basically, if you don't mind the phone plan and can live with a 32 GB, the iPhone 4 is the better choice IMO.

3. 270Kp

270Kp Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Beta-Tester
    USA
    Yea, but don't forget that free case program is over.

4. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    iP4 all the way.

5. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    If you're having a problem, you will continue to be able to get a free case from Apple. They're just not going to give them automatically to people after September 30th.

6. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Its not over till the 30th. Also hands down, iPhone 4 but I heard the data prices in Canada are higher than here in the states. So if you plan to be on Wifi mostly, I would take that into consideration.

7. Kiwii

Kiwii Well-Known Member

May 18, 2009
    Ugh. The phone plan is expensive... 65$ is the cheapest. Might go with the touch. Not sure yet.

8. KnightRider25

KnightRider25 Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2010
    If you can afford the monthly phone plan AT&T is gonna give you, then go for the iPhone 4. If not, definitely go for the iPod Touch 4G (32GB model, the 8GB model is not worth it).

9. 270Kp

270Kp Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Beta-Tester
    USA
    Yea, I looked into getting the iPhone 4, but its too expensive for me. So I'm getting the iPod Touch 32 gig.

10. sammysin

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Good call Kp!

11. The Game Reaper

The Game Reaper Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    The Emerald Isle
    Fidomobile have kickass plans over there.

12. Outkast1

Outkast1 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    California
    I finally got my iPhone 4 today =) it's been syncing forever... right now it's syncing my apps but looks like all my photos have already been transferred. I have about 2200 photos that transfer to my device. I definitely remember that on the 3GS the 2200 photos took up about 1.2 gb's of space. on the iphone 4, it tells me my photos are taking up 4.2 frickin gigs!! dumb question, but is it automatically upscaling the photos or what?? and more importantly, if so, can i change it back?

I haven't read about this before and it bothers me that the photos take up 4x the amount of space (especially with this being the first year flash memory space has not been doubled).

The sync hasn't completely finished yet so I guess I shouldn't get too worked up about it until it's said and done.

13. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    That's odd, it shouldn't autoscale them..I'd wait till after the sync and see if things go back to normal.

14. Outkast1

Outkast1 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    California
    #14 Outkast1, Sep 12, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
    okay good to hear. hopefully it goes back to normal after the sync, thanks

edit: phew, photo space went back to normal after the sync.. don't know why it initially showed 4.2 gigs, and photos actually didn't sync until after the apps, but whatevs.
    lol but i don't like itunes 10 switching up the color bars for 'photos' and 'other'. photos used to be yellow, other was orange, and now it's switched.

15. sammysin

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Took mine ages to sync first time I restored it from previous backup.