iPhone 3GS Battery Life Discussion

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by iphonelover1223, Jul 3, 2009.

1. iphonelover1223

iphonelover1223 Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2009
    my 16gb iPhone 3GS seems to have bad battery life.. but I don't know if it's normal or not?? help!

IMG_0240.PNG

2. iphonelover1223

Apr 26, 2009
    also anyone finding push notification as a BIG battery drainer like me??

Attached Files:

3. iphonelover1223

Apr 26, 2009
    does that look about right in the screen shot?

4. ricky

ricky Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2008
    mine seems to lose battery faster than i had imagined as well... cant say about the pic tho, its charging now. i charge mine a lot. idk if thats a good thing tho...

5. iphonelover1223

Apr 26, 2009
    yea im charging mine all the time, i had to refrain from charging just so i could get it low for that screen shot, i bring my charger in my bag everywhere i go.

i was expecting much better battery life though. Its the same maybe even worse then my old 3g right now

6. Phil_Synowiec

Phil_Synowiec Well-Known Member

7. ricky

ricky Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2008
    still a great phone tho... and that's an excellent idea phil. i was thinking about the incase one because i love their cases but $80 is too much. i mean usually i can get through at least a day with the battery, i guess i can just charge it at night

8. Owl

Owl Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2009
    I have battery issues too... So it isn't just me. Well, I vaguely remember my original iPhone doing something similar, and now the battery life can last maybe two days or so. So maybe it needs... Breaking in? I dunno. Hopefully that's the case, because it bothers me how such little usage can drain the battery so much.

9. Phil_Synowiec

Phil_Synowiec Well-Known Member

Im telling you guys, buy that case off Ebay. $20 for double battery life. Just eat at home for a few days.

10. mofard

mofard Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Yeah its horrible, just like all the other iphone batteries, the old 3g has the best battery so far

11. iphonelover1223

Apr 26, 2009
    I have tried multiple different brands of those battery things, and they all make the phone VERY big, fat, thick, heavy, not even worth it

12. marlenedegrood

marlenedegrood Well-Known Member

Very true! One of the great things about the iPhone is it's compact/slim size .... why bulk it up? I wish my iPhone 3gs had better battery longevity but I'll take the shorter time for the slimer size. It's a no brainer .... get a car charger.

13. iphonelover1223

Apr 26, 2009
    yea it just really pisses me off how quickly the battery is gone

i dont have any conclusive evidence of this but i do think push notification drains the battery a lot, i left my aim open during the whole day when the push update first came out and my battery was absoluetely HORRIBLE, so thats my evidence, so i only keep push notifications on when im using my phone.

also anyone else having overheating problems? i AM. and its really unusual for a product of this magnitude and popularity to have such a huge issue of getting REALLY hot

14. iphonelover1223

Apr 26, 2009
    also i am really really pissed that apple came out with this statement basically blaming us for getting the phone too hot. my 3gs gets very very hot when im simply playing a game for over 20 minutes or just listening to music, while i am in my house with just fine temperature...

this is a huge design/manufacturing flaw and apple should not simply tell us to keep it in good temperatures.

also today i noticed while i was typing an email that the keyboard responsiveness was very slightly off/slow. i then tried out my old 3g and it was much better.. another weird flaw. anyone else notice this??

15. Ddyracer123

Ddyracer123 Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    also today i noticed while i was typing an email that the keyboard responsiveness was very slightly off/slow. i then tried out my old 3g and it was much better.. another weird flaw. anyone else notice this??[/QUOTE]

yeah a little.

IMG_0420.PNG

The battery life is supposed to have 3 more hours of wifi than the 3g. have 3gs.

16. zerox17virus

zerox17virus Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2009
    My iphone 3GS can last for 4 days (standby) and can be used over 10 hours before it dies out. The best way to increase the phone's battery life is to use it until 0% then charge it fully 100% (Leaving it overnight) You could see that there is a difference in battery day by day doing this as My iphone 3GS can use 4 hours when I first got it now it increased up to 10..

17. dommur

dommur Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2009
    pm me ill tell u
    The iPhone has a different type of battery than other i devices,like ipod touches,classic,nano,shuffle the proper was to charge the battery is when it battery hits to about 10% and then you recharge it. every time you do that it keeps the battery in better condition and is more likely to hold a longer charge than people who just charge it every night even when it at 70%. But for the iPhone its different, the more you charge the battery the longer it lasts and it stays in better condition. So if you charge your iPhone battery every night even when it at like 80% its better than if you dident.
    iPhone - the more you charge it the better your batter gets and it will stay in a better condition longer
    iDevices - the less you leave it charging (charge it to 100% and then unplug it dont let it over charge its bad for the battery)the better the life

18. Joshn

Joshn Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
    England
    Huh? Explain this to me if it's backed up. From where im sitting the ipodtouch and iphone 3GS both have similar, if not the same lithium-ion batterys.

19. dommur

dommur Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2009
    pm me ill tell u
    The Geniuses at the apple store told me that the iphone batteries are different from other idevices batteries, so for the iphone the more you charge it the better condition your battery stays and the longer it holds a charge for and other i devices the more you charge it, it reduces the battery life over so the proper way to charge any idevice other than an iphone is to use it normally and when the battery life hits to about 10% you charge it back to 100% and when it says its fully charged unplug it dont over charge the battery , then use the device like you normally would and when it gets to about 10% repeat process. people who charge their ipods every night even when it at like 80% just so they could have a 100% ipod in the morning are actually depleting their battery life. its ok to charge it to 100% even when it has almost a full charge once in a while, just dont make it a habbit cause it could ruin your precious ipods batterie