iPhone 3G sound problem

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by iSwiss, Sep 20, 2010.

1. iSwiss

iSwiss Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Hey everybody

So.. My iPhone is 2 years old.

Today I turned my iPhone on.. Everything worked fine..

But suddenly it turned off.. So i rebooted - and it worked.. I got a call, but I couldn't hear my speaking partner. So I looked if sound is working - but it doesn't even with earphones. But it seems not to be a sound problem only..

When I want to listen to music(so i click the play button".. Nothing happens, It just shows me the pause button.. Even youtube videos aren't working anymore..

Anyone an idea?

2. mathew1204

mathew1204 Member

Sep 13, 2010
    Hi

Get it checked by a technician so it can be fixed

3. iSwiss

iSwiss Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    I don't know person here in my small town

4. If you've backed up your phone through iTunes recently, do a restore. Sometimes, especially if you get errors in syncing, you can run into weird problems that have no rational explanation. I just had to deal with this last night; I had a couple of errors during sync last night but didn't think anything of it -- until I tried to load a third party app. It flickered open for a moment then went to springboard; it showed up in the task list, and all built-in apps worked fine, but nothing else would open. When I plugged it into iTunes it immediately asked me to restore.

It was weird, but a restore fixed the problem.

5. iSwiss

iSwiss Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Ok, so I restored the iPhone.

But iTunes didn't accept my iPhone, because of an unknown error. WTF?

6. Sounds like iTunes being iTunes again. Try switching USB ports, or rebooting the system (or both). Whenever possible plug it directly into your PC or Mac, not a hub. If all else fails you may have to hard reset and put it into DFU mode. That'll force iTunes to reinstall its drivers and re-recognize your phone, and then you should be able to restore properly.

7. iSwiss

iSwiss Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Ended up loading iTunes 10 and it worked..

Then restored but.... no sound again!

I even have no jailbreak anymore..

I'm desperate:(

8. This is starting to sound more like a hardware issue. No sound either from speaker or headphone seems to suggest there's a problem with the audio hardware itself, much as I hate to say it. Does the volume rocker visibly show the volume going up and down?

9. iSwiss

iSwiss Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Yes it does... I can't believe its a hardware problem.

If it was then music would start and run( time running) - of course without sound

but the music doesn't start and run...

10. iSwiss

iSwiss Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    update:

It seem to be a bigger problem.. yeah.

Just wanted to listen to music, so clicked on the play button, but then suddenly it jumped back to the "song select"-menu..

And when I want to make an "Speeking memory"(don't know if thats the correct word) a sign appears telling me: No microphone plugged.

11. Ooh... that doesn't sound good.

As a last resort the only thing I can suggest, in order to completely rule out that it's an OS problem, is to do a complete restore by putting your iPhone into DFU mode and restoring the OS completely. If you still get no sound, then I'm afraid the hardware is quite probably stuffed.

12. iSwiss

iSwiss Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    :-( Tried it.. still no sound!

Thanks anyway for your help

13. That sucks man, sorry to hear that. Strange problem, I must admit -- I've seen a 3G literally fried under a huge Fresnel lens and the thing still played music after most of the rest of the device was charcoal.

I'd call Apple and see if it's fixable, and if so for how much (if you didn't get extended AppleCare). Otherwise, might be time for an iPhone 4. :)

14. iSwiss

iSwiss Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    #14 iSwiss, Sep 21, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
    Good news.

As always turned off the iPhone during night. Surprise surprise, today sound worked!

I mean wtf?

:rolleyes:Uninstalling jailbreak was for nothing:rolleyes:

EDIT:

Now it doesn't work anymore.

strange iPhone rebooted for himself and suddenly no sound anymore...

This starts to getting scary

15. RyoHazuki

RyoHazuki Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2010
    UK
    Are you on OS 4+ ?

Since updating my 3G has been worse than useless, crashes all the time, audio problems and sloooooooooooooooooooow.

16. iSwiss

iSwiss Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    #16 iSwiss, Sep 21, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
    Yeah.. unfortunately..

But yesterday I was on 3.1.3 with jailbreak, and there the sound was not working.. So I deleted jailbreak, and restored my iPhone.. updated to 4.1 and iTunes 10

and still no sound

17. tukibird69

tukibird69 New Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Same problem!

I was wondering if you had any resolution?

I have the same exact problem. At first if I would reset network settings it would continue to work for a day. Then I would notice the battery would drain at an accelerated pace and the sound would cut out.

Please let me know what solution you have found.

My iphone 3g is brand new just had the apple store replace it last month. However I'm out of the country for the next 3 months and have no way of getting it to an apple store.

I would appreciate any help or suggestions.