iPhone 3.0

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by danc4498, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    But they won't leave the iPhone--they'll abandon those particular games. Plenty of other developers will NOT be abusing DLC. (Just look how many devs/apps total there are. They won't ALL "go evil" at once.)

2. rcloudsoftware

rcloudsoftware Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2009
    I know many companies and developers will abuse the DLC, but for some of us...this is a godsend.

For my game, Spellwars, this solves all of my problems for how to monetize future content in a micro-mmo for months down the line, without having to do weird things like release new apps that just flip a bit and enable new content in your existing app. I finally feel like I will have the chance to create a business model that is fully supported by Apple, and be able to make a living by creating quality games. That is good for everyone...because when quality developers can live a quality life by creating quality games, people who love games get quality content. Right now, we aren't getting enough of it.

I am sure many other indie developers, who actually care about gaming and game players, who are in it for more than money, will find ways to take advantage of the new features.

For me, this is inspiring, and I'm going to take Spellwars development to the next level.

Thanks
    Ryan

3. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    I think this whole DLC idea is geared towards the big players who need to justify putting resources towards game development on the platform. Right now, companies such as EA don't want their titles buried in the iTunes store and thus their current titles are all straight ports. Nothing is optimized for the iTunes platform. With this new DLC model, EA will now be able to justify developing games specifically for iTunes because of the revenue potential.

I agree with you that the most developers will not abuse DLC but at the same time, you also worry about setting a precedent. At this point, it's subjective and all we can do is wait and see.

4. Benegesserit

Benegesserit Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Can anyone explain to me why I won't be able to use stereo bluetooth headsets on my 2g iphone when 3.0 is released? This is something I've been waiting for for a long time coming and I thought 3G iPhone just had a slightly better processor and 3G.

5. DLC could also mean that we don't have to release a lite and full version of every game.

Just release the lite version for free, and if the user wants more, the "full" game is available as DLC, or just the parts you want.

That is more in line with how the XBox Live Arcade market works.

6. THEDeliriumTrigger

THEDeliriumTrigger Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Lets hope so, devs could do much worse

7. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Can't charge for any in-game purchases on free games/apps.
    Must be a paid game/app to be able to charge afterwards. So the least amount has to be $.99 lite version.

8. Diablohead

Diablohead Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Freelancer, PC game developer
    If you release a free version of a game DLC is disabled. I find that odd because you can change your prices on the fly but maybe apple have plans to change how people change their app price, but free app's will not be able to use DLC.

9. Sainter

Sainter Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    I am afraid of what will happen to us as buyers when there is in-game content.

Let's take Bike or Die 2 for an example

Currently you get x amount of level packs but instead of like it is now where they are free to get more they start charging $1 per level pack just to earn another buck. Not only will stuff that we would get included in a previous OS cost more but future updates will probably just be more levels in game that devs will make us pay for when they will otherwise be free.

Bike or Die 2 will almost be 100% unlikely to do this and I am sure most devs won't charge us unless for a very good reason. It will have to be managed and have some reasoning behind it before Apple approve the in-game content. Buying levels is stupid I think, free update for the levels and then put the price up for people who haven't already bought the game.

Soon my $800 iPhone with $300 worth of games may stay the same but has another $50 of 'extra levels'

Interesting to see what happens

BTW... COPY PASTE!

10. thinkdontpray

thinkdontpray Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    so i was lucky enough to get my hands on the 3.0 beta and all i can say is thank you apple for sort of listening. i would have still liked to have apps running in the background but the push feature is a welcome addition. copy and paste is easy to use and kinda fun too. still finding my way around this beta but so far so good. now maybe they'll address some other concearns for the 4.0 OS!

11. OrangeVegan

OrangeVegan New Member

Mar 18, 2009
    100 new features?

Apple stressed that all the cool things we've heard so much about since tuesday are just some of the 100 new features in 3.0... What are the other 85?

I'm not a developer so i have no access to it. Thanks for sharing!!

12. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Basically what push means is this:

Say for example in AIM you close the app. Nowadays you wouldn't get any IMs if people tried while you didn't have the app OPEN. Now instead they'll maintain your connection with a push server, so those IMs will come through simulating the app running in the background.

Hope that cleared that up!

Regarding DLC. I've said it before, it will totally be a wait and see process. If people want to charge you for updates, for stuff that should be in the game to begin with, etc, then we just don't buy the extras/app in general. Otherwise it could be a good thing as long as the DLC has PURPOSE (example if tap tap was a paid app paying something like $.99 for the new engine) then it would be awesome. Again just wait and see until we pull out the torches and pitchforks :D;)

13. wiruzik

wiruzik New Member

Mar 21, 2009
    If you want to have your iPhone firmware 3.0 activated, PM me, I have some free slots.. :)

I'm very suprised that the new firmware 3.0 is so cool.. a lot of missing features are there :)

14. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    I just added custom rumble to my list.

At first I thought people were just getting confused by the meaning of the new universal shake-input function, but I believe there is actually more control over force feedback now.

15. 5jusername

5jusername Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    School...
    Somewhere In The Universe
    i dont like this ingame purchase idea. now, there will be less free apps cause they will probably want to get the feature of charging people. and i know that some devs already commited to not using the feature but some others can abuse it tremendously. everything else is an awesome addon to the already awesome system

16. The Game Reaper

The Game Reaper Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    The Emerald Isle
    Hey to all those annoyed iPod users who don't have Street View it's now included with 3.0!

17. Benegesserit

Benegesserit Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Yeah the worst part is that they will charge for updates now unlike today where we get updates for free. And if you think you don't have to pay, keep in mind updates also usually fix glaring bugs.

18. sethwenen

sethwenen Active Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Mexico
    I bet they can do it. Now lets hope they do it soon, cause they are not the kind of company that goes into the foums to have contact with the game fans.

I really need to have Song Summoner in my iPhone ;)