iPhone 3.0

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by danc4498, Mar 17, 2009.

1. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Oh, definitely. So am I. You as a 2nd gen user should be able to use bluetooth in apps that allow for it. But I as a 1st gen user should not be locked out simply because I don't have bluetooth.

If a dev wishes to implement bluetooth they are more than free to do so...but if their app is dependent on the implementation of bluetooth and because of that they can't sell it to 1st gen users, well, they've screwed themselves over.

So the best solution for devs who want to put bluetooth support into their apps is to not make bluetooth a requirement to use the app. That way all users can use the app, and the dev can sell that app to all the users. Everyone's happy that way. That's all I'm sayin'.

2. spiffyone

Dec 7, 2008
    I wonder if that new API will allow for Squeenix to develop a new Song Summoner....

3. Forerunnerz

Forerunnerz Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Things announced for FW 3.0

In App Purchases
    Peer to Peer connectivity
    Accessories API
    Maps API in Apps
    Turn By Turn
    Push Notifications
    New APIs allowing access of various iPhone hardware/software
    Bluetooth Connectivity
    Cut, Copy and Paste
    Landscape Mode
    MMS
    Voice Memos
    Search for Apps like Mail, iPod, Calender...
    Spotlight
    New Home Screen
    Stereo Bluetooth
    Tethering Support

4. danc4498

danc4498 Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Spotlight will be on the page to the left of the 1st page, kind of like page 0.

5. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    Nice. Now I don't have to worry anymore. :cool:

6. spiffyone

Dec 7, 2008
    The real question is whether spotlight will be able to find and launch apps that are "hidden" after page 9 (if you've filled up all the pages).

If so...I might upgrade to 3.0 just for that alone.

7. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    #107 Adams Immersive, Mar 17, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
    Here's my list of the 12 items relevant to game development that I noticed in the presentation. Some I haven't seen mentioned yet:

Bluetooth peer-to-peer multiplayer (don't need a WiFi network or Internet)

Bluetooth exists in 2nd-gen Touch, ready to be unlocked??

Subscription model for apps/games

Ability to buy levels, weapons, add-ons etc. in-game

Custom hardware support via bluetooth or physical connection: controllers etc.

Push notification for game invitations or persistent game world events

Access to your own music library in-game

New HTTP-based adaptive-quality video streaming (H.264 and various codecs) that works through firewalls (meaning from a server, not from camera)

Proxy sensor API

Shake action API (instead of having to roll your own)

Transmit email (share custom creations, issue a challenge) without leaving game

VOIP in apps/games

Custom rumble API

8. Palfince

Palfince Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    England
    #108 Palfince, Mar 17, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
    1. I was joking, note the ";)" I put after I said it.

2. I still had to pay for my 2nd Gen after my 1st Gen unfairly broke. I had it for 1 and a half years and never even jailbroke it...

3. I seriously bet that if you had a 2nd Gen iPod Touch you wouldn't be making such a fuss. Although I may be totally wrong.

I also realise that I'm kind of contradicting myself with the last two points but oh well...

9. kholinar

kholinar Member

Nov 12, 2008
    It's pretty simple.

There are some apps that I'd buy and then willingly pay for extra content. There are some that will try to nickel and dime you.

Boycott those that abuse this.

DLC hasn't killed gaming on other platforms. The MGS pack for LittleBigPlanet was amazing and completely worth the cost. Voting with your dollars doesn't have to include every good developer on the app store.

The sky isn't falling.

10. Adams Immersive

Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Ohio
    I agree. Just as some apps are bad buys, some subscriptions and in-game buys will be poor as well. Buy the good ones, avoid the bad ones, and be glad for the new kinds of games we can now see, and the new ways that developers can be fed so that they can keep bringing us games :)

11. Diablohead

Diablohead Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Freelancer, PC game developer
    #111 Diablohead, Mar 17, 2009
    My feedback on the 3.0 stuff related to app's and games:

DLC at first seems like an amazing addition but I am worried companies and indie devs will overuse it, buying weapons in fps games for example. I like and support DLC when it is done correctly so I hope devs out there try to use it well and not stick it in every game possible for that extra profit, managing to ruin the game in the process.
    One thing I am happy about is that apple have not given the ability for people to release a free app and suprise you with tons of pay DLC inside it, your app has to cost money to allow DLC sales to work ingame.

Push notes is great, dev's can use this for update notes or if the game is like an mmo give their users the latest news, messenger programs can use this too.

3rd party add-ons for the iphone and touch nwo supporting built in app's is another great one, not sure how games can benefit well from this (add-on pads?) but it's great to have.

Bluetooth for multiplayer games is also great, no idea if a 2g touch has the ability or not, a nice surprise if it has.

12. Adams Immersive

Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Ohio
    * Video-out to goggles (which already exist for videos, but apps can't officially output yet)

* Make that video-out to STEREOSCOPIC goggles (split render or shutter-based)

* Make that stereoscopic goggles with a place to attach your phone--a free motion sensor/HMD!

= True virtual virtuality with nothing but hardware that already exists :)

(I'd love to see new wide-angle goggles emerge for iPhone--but admittedly the device's low resolution would not be ideal.)

13. The Game Reaper

The Game Reaper Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    The Emerald Isle
    Just to clear things up, ngmoco have said in their twitter that buying weapons was for demo purposes only.

14. Oh please charge $1/message and stick it to em for those who were clamoring for it.

15. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    I believe that devs should be compensated for the apps they're created and for too long, consumers were getting a good deal at the devs' expense. But this new DLC model could potentially open the flood gates for nickel and diming which doesn't bode well for the consumer. For too long, I think many iTunes users were in this fantasy world of cheap apps and price drops and I have always said that devs were being taken for granted.

This, however, switches the advantage back to the devs, but in my opinion, pushes the pendulum way too far. There has to be a balance somewhere where apps aren't too cheap, and consumers aren't pinched at every opportunity. We just need to hope this doesn't turn into a disaster.

16. Adams Immersive

Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Ohio
    This does open the door to all kinds of bad things.

A door easy enough to close: don't buy the games that abuse the system.

What disaster is likely? If users like the situation (which is not a disaster) they'll pay. If they don't, they won't, and the developers who were too greedy will have to adapt (also not a disaster).

17. Diablohead

Diablohead Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Freelancer, PC game developer
    At least we won't see DLC until the middle of the year, we have a few months of breaving room left to see what dev's plans are.

There are going to be people who make DLC heavy games and probably a lot of them at first, this should dwindle down over time since people will learn which is good and which is bad to support.

18. Porsupah

Porsupah Well-Known Member

Makes me wonder if there'll be new App Store policies to guard against nickel and diming via in-game purchases, lest the Store be inundated with apps in the spirit of Johnny Longtorso. Or maybe Deep 13 is really located in Cupertino these days.. =:)

19. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    #119 Big Albie, Mar 17, 2009
    The disaster is not with the developers or consumers. The potential disaster is with Apple. They've have built a significant amount of mindshare with iTunes and to a certain degree some goodwill that comes with that. The potential issue is if people do leave, either consumers or developers, and enough of them do leave, there's a good chance they won't come back. Don't think that Palm and Blackberry aren't thinking about the implications of all this. With Palm, they are rebuilding their store and Blackberry is in its infancy, and both will be taking more chances to get more users and developers. While you state that developers will adapt and users won't buy and everything will work out, the reality is different. Now, I'm not saying that any of this will happen, but you look at history as your guide. It's much easier to build marketshare than it is to lose and then regain it, and if there isn't enough a balance, iTunes will start losing marketshare if this isn't done right.

20. Rohan Dalal

Rohan Dalal Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2009
    would someone care to explain what that really means? :confused: