iPhone 12

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by ste86uk, Oct 15, 2020.

1. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    What’s everyone doing regarding the iPhone 12? I’m thinking of upgrading as I haven’t for 3 years now, I seen some sources say the iPhone 12 pro has 6gb ram but I’m unsure if they are trustworthy sources as Apple didn’t disclaim that information for some reason?

2. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    They usually don’t. We get confirmation when third parties do a tear down.

I’ve got mine in pre-pre order, moving up from a XS. My only wish is that they’d gone all the way to a terabyte of storage, but I’m sure SSDs are still expensive.

3. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    Are the sources online usually accurate? I’m on the iPhone X and don’t see any real reason to choose the 12 Pro over the 12 but if it does have 6gb ram I guess that would help with gaming and make the choice a bit easier.

I’m going to preorder tomorrow as soon as it’s up when I decide which one.

4. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    iFixIt is, but you won’t see their breakdown for a bit.

We do know that the CPU/GPU is a significant improvement from the iPhone 11, never mind the original 10.

ste86uk likes this.
  5. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    It was more about 12 or 12 pro for me as I want to upgrade to get larger storage plus it’s a good upgrade for me.

The main differences were all camera really which isn’t a big deal to me, I have a baby to take pictures of but I’m sure even the 12 would be good enough. The RAM just made it more of a tough decision if it is different.

I guess some games may learn to take advantage of LIDAR but I don’t really like AR games anyway.

6. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Oh, I see. I’m going for the Pro because of the camera and LIDAR, but if those are not a big deal for you, I get that the RAM could be a selling point.

ste86uk likes this.
  7. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    @squarezero for the sake of the price difference I just ordered the 256gb pro anyway which is a big upgrade considering I’m on 64gb! Any luck with your order? My wife is happy as she can now have my X as she’s still on the 6s as she only uses it for texts and photos etc.

While I was on the subject of buying I went ahead and ordered the 7th gen iPod touch in 256gb to replace my always full 128gb 6th gen.

8. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Took a few tries, but my iPhone 12 Pro 512gb in blue is preordered!

BTW love the fact that they went back (sort of) to the iPhone 4 slab design. That’s always been my favorite.

ste86uk likes this.
  9. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Want to order a 512 GB phone, worried not all my apps will be copied across as i'm sure a few have been discontinued on the app store. Need one with huge memory though

ste86uk likes this.
  10. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    As long as it’s still in your purchase history, an app should transfer.

ste86uk likes this.
  11. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    #11 ste86uk, Oct 17, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    What is the best way to transfer when you don’t backup to a computer? I mean mostly everything I need other than apps will transfer just from signing into my iCloud won’t it?

I wish I could have got the 512 but it’s hard to justify the money to my wife when I’ve never even had more than the 64 before.

I’ve also never actually got a phone on release day, how long does it take for decent cases to start appearing? My current one is an xdoria defence which has done amazing but it seems only a couple of those appeared and they look rubbish, the same for the griffin survivor some just appeared but also look rubbish.

@squarezero @psj3809

12. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    @metalcasket @macplash sorry to tag you two but I figure if anyone knows one of you might.

Never got a new phone on launch day and I’m having trouble finding a decent case, does it normally take long for a selection to appear? I usually use military spec like the xdoria defence and griffon survivor.

13. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    OtterBox’s Defender/Defender Pro might be right up your alley. I’ve been rocking OtterBox cases on literally every iDevice I’ve ever owned (going back to the 3rd Gen iPod) and have never regretted it. Caveat is they don’t come with built in screen protectors anymore, but I could never go back to one. The difference between tempered glass protectors and shitty flimsy plastic ones is night and day. The entire line up is already available (as has been the case [pun intended] every single iDevice release). :)

ste86uk likes this.
  14. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    @metalcasket thanks, I have looked at otterbox in the past but never had one. Any advice between the different models? I guess the defender at £42 looks the toughest? Maybe looks better than some other options I’ve seen especially the griffin option.

I definitely agree about the screen protector I’ve got a tempered glass one, I guess I’ll need a new one of those too!

15. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @ste86uk yeah, I’m the wrong person to ask as I never use protective cases on my phones so I have no idea.:rolleyes:

ste86uk likes this.
  16. metalwastebasket

metalwastebasket Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2017
    Oh shit. I just came across this. Sorry! The difference between the Defender cases really just comes down to that anti-bacterial coating...thing?...on the back of the Pro. I have a Pro for my XS and honestly can't tell you what it's supposed to do, but if it makes any difference, the ruggedness of the Pro in comparison to the regular Defenders for iPhone 6 and SE (first one) is like night and day. Just feels better all around.

EDIT: Term of the week is "night and day" apparently. :p

ste86uk likes this.
  17. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Personally gonna try and hold out for now with my Xs Max 256GB. I’d kind of like to go a 12 pro Max 512GB but dayum that price, and the Xs Max isn’t really showing much sign of keeling over just yet so....

also not so sure about going back to that flat bezel design this time on a large phone so might try it in store first before any later decision.

It’d be sweet to see if the 6GB of ram and processor speeds up load times for heavy games such as for Civ VI and the upcoming XCOM 2 (I think it’s safe to presume a longish start up time anyway). Load times are my nemesis to loading up a heavy game vs just jumping in to something more casual and quick.

18. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I'm torn. Was going to get another iphone xs (512 gb) version but from Apple its about £900, seen some on ebay about £600. Quite a lot to spend just to have another 50 or so apps installed ! (And i should play one delete it then play the next but i'm a app horder !)

Decisions decision ! Got made redundant (laid off) so have some money but do i need it ! Bit like the new Apple Watch, do i want people to call me at the gym on my watch (I dont take my phone) - maybe not. Just the 80's kid inside of me thinks a watch which is also a phone is like a dream !

Also people with the iphone max screen size. How is it ? I can hardly fit my iphone xs in my jeans pocket so a max version seems way too big. Hows it regarding pockets ?!

19. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    @metalcasket hey your in the U.K. too aren’t you? I can’t find an otterbox defender pro, only the defender? Also I’ve never had one and some reviews say it turns your phone into a brick, it’s not that bad is it?

Been driving me crazy tonight looking at all of the different cases and brands trying to pick one. I seen that my xdoria changed name to raptic and they do a case that’s exactly like me but with a clear back which apparently gets scratched to hell which is a shame as my xdoria defence lux served me well.

The Griffin survivor extreme looks pretty huge but the endurance looks better maybe? Then I looked at spigen as it’s cheap to tide me over just for now but that says 4ft drop protection...my phones been through worse so that doesn’t convince me!

20. metalwastebasket

metalwastebasket Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2017
    Me, in the U.K.? Haha, I'm in Lebanon! :p All my OtterBox purchases have been online.

Hmmm, does the Defender turn your phone into a brick? I can say the iPhone 4 Defender was comical. It took everything beautiful about the design of the iPhone 4 and made it look like a bar of soap. :p The rest of my Defenders haven't looked as bad or bulky, but I personally loathed the iPhone 6 one. Maybe it's because my old man is still rocking that phone/case and it looks like it was in a nuclear explosion, but I can confidently say that the XS one (Pro) is gorgeous. Bulky? Yeah...but if you're used to Survivor cases or Spigen's Tough Armor, it looks much more tame in comparison.