iPhone 12 bad performance (alleged)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Nates4Christ, Nov 2, 2020.

1. Nates4Christ

Nates4Christ Member

Oct 30, 2020
    Male
    #1 Nates4Christ, Nov 2, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
    I'm seeing a ton of bad things about the 12. It runs games like PUBG and Genshin Impact terribly. The 11 pro ran them better. I'm new to iphone, do they always start out running games poorly?

https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/665191

2. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    #2 squarezero, Nov 2, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
    Genshin Impact works fine on my iPhone 12 Pro. But it’s not unusual for games to need tweaking with a new phone, since you are dealing with new CPUs, GPUs, etc.

3. Nates4Christ

Nates4Christ Member

Oct 30, 2020
    Male
    That is interesting. There are a few youtubers that are showing issues. Like this one here. I wonder why theirs didn't work but yours is.

4. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Have yet to experience that kind of a frame rate drop. Wouldn’t be surprised if there’s something to address performance on the next update — again, it’s not uncommon with new hardware.

The game does load about twice as fast compared to my XS, BTW.

5. Nates4Christ

Nates4Christ Member

Oct 30, 2020
    Male
    My 11 pro just came in from walmart refurbished. I'm going to do some testing to see which one games and performs the best. :)

6. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Glad you’ve got your 11 Pro. FWIW, I’ve been playing GI every day since I got my 12, and have experienced zero slowdowns — and as I mentioned above, about 50% better load times. Every other game I’ve tried has performed great (better than my Xs). There have also been no reports of slowdowns on the legitimate tech media. In light of all that, I’ve added (alleged) to the title of this thread to make sure we’re not spreading misinformation.

7. Nates4Christ

Nates4Christ Member

Oct 30, 2020
    Male
    that is great news on the games. Are you running them at Max settings like in the videos?

8. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Just did. My iPhone gets warmer, but no slowdown with a ton of enemies on screen. That said, I prefer to run on high settings with 60 FPS.

9. tinkie277

tinkie277 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Male
    Street Cleaner
    Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
    I have been playing Dead by Daylight - Which since the update runs terrible on the iPhone 11, the frame rate really suffers... It really need optimising. It can be done, as X-Com 2 runs fantastic on there.

10. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Edit: I think the issue is not the graphic settings, but FPS. The standard 30 FPS settings are locked at all graphic levels. But when you go 60, the frame rate becomes variable and you can end up with slow downs — that’s probably what you are seeing on those videos. To be clear, though, I was running the game on medium on my iPhone XS and I’m running the game at high or highest settings on my 12, and as long as I keep it to 30 FPS, I don’t even get a stutter.

11. Nates4Christ

Nates4Christ Member

Oct 30, 2020
    Male
    I don't play much Genshin but I did try some Samurai Jack from Apple Arcade. Awesome game btw! I put my 12 pro and 11 pro on a stand, and I played them side by side. They both ran the game smooth until a lot of enemies were on the screen at the same time. The 12 pro started to really stutter and the frame rate dipped, but the 11 pro was buttery smooth with no slow downs. It wasn't a long studder but it was noticeable and it is a real shame this new 1k phone is performing worse than the 1 year old phone.

12. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    My XS would shug with a lot of enemies were on screen on Samurai Jack. I played a bit on the 12 and performance was better.

Nate, the thing is: the 12 has a faster CPU, a faster GPU, and 2 more GB of RAM than the 11 Pro. Whatever issues you are seeing are almost certainly software-based. Especially with Apple Arcade titles, you can be certain that they will be corrected. And certainly new games will run better on the new hardware.

13. Nates4Christ

Nates4Christ Member

Oct 30, 2020
    Male
    It seems weird that the phone overheats when all of the slowdowns happen. It makes me think they rushed this new slim design and did not properly thermal paste or something. I think they were in such a hurry with the mag safe and 5g and the virus probably didn't help. I just hope this isn't as bad as the Xbox 360 red ring design flaw.

14. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    We’ll see. Keep in mind that the red ring of death was a fatal design flaw that bricked Xbox consoles. What we’re talking about here is a bit of slowdown on some poorly optimized games. As a point of comparison, my 12 stays cool when running Genshin Impact on High settings, and that’s a way more graphically intensive game that Samurai Jack. So far I’m see no problems with XCOM 2, or anything I’ve tried on Apple Arcade.

15. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    And just for some context, my preordered Xbox Series S arrived bricked — won’t even turn on. 90 min wait to talk to their service department. A good reminder of why I buy Apple products.

I’ll take a bit of iPhone 12 slowdown over Microsoft garbage any day.

16. Nates4Christ

Nates4Christ Member

Oct 30, 2020
    Male
    Awe man that stinks. I'd really recommend a Ps5. Microsoft just isn't doing it with exclusives and content. I wonder if this 12 is the beginning of a decline of apple quality. I just packed up my 12 pro. I'll be putting it in the fedex tomorrow. I really wish I could buy a new 11 pro. My refurb one has 91% battery, but it is working great so far.

17. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Not really interested in PS5 exclusives, and the price by of the S is just right. Sorry you’re unhappy with the 12 — I’m loving it.

18. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    I wouldn’t mind hearing how long is the load time for XCOM 2 from touch of the app icon to the main menu screen. Tap on the loading screens as they show as some of them play unnecessary animations.

I get around 25-30 seconds on my Xs Max. Curious to know if the 12 pro is that much better.

19. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    It’s about the same on the 12. It’s possible that some of the load time is baked in.

Talbs likes this.