Ipad Sales Figures Compared To Iphone ?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by onion, Aug 31, 2010.

1. onion

onion Member

Feb 9, 2010
    Hi,

As the title suggests, curious to hear how the Ipad is doing compared to the iphone / ipod touch, not sure whether to develop something for Ipad strictly or just target the iphone / ipod crowd as there is potentially more users there ?

Thanks.

2. Karma32

Karma32 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2010
    iPhone and iPod Touch have been around for years, iPad isn't even a half a year old. Obviously theres way more tiny device users out there and there will always be due to the phone section. But to ignore the iPad isn't a good idea as you can make a lot of money on it and get a lot of sales and there's a lot of people like me who stopped buying apps for the tiny devices. Best bet is to make the app universal and get sales for both sides

3. woodn

woodn Active Member

Aug 24, 2010
    Game Developer & Graphic Designer
    Switzerland
    well i don't have any numbers or i didn't find out where to get them ;-) but from the submitted highscores i recieved, it's like this: (The game is a Universal App)

iPads: 199
    iPhones: 166
    iPods: 40
    all: 405

4. Ozden79

Ozden79 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2009
    So far our observations tells us that IPad market is near to %10 of IPhone market size from the chart position/sale numbers we saw on both platforms...

5. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    I would put it at 10% too. But, you have a little less competition on ipad, but, you get less visibility too...

6. HMAudio

HMAudio Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2010
    Audio Designer
    Toronto
    Given some more time and a few more price drops/updates, iPad will see a nice sales boost, however everyone needs cellphones and cellphones that play games!

7. onion

onion Member

Feb 9, 2010
    Thanks for all the answers, everyone !

Regards.

8. tomchap

tomchap Member

Nov 24, 2009
    I would say create a universal app. I hate having to purchase 2 separate games for both devices however when a decent app is created and is available for both, even if its a little more than I usually pay, i would go for it.

Better than paying twice.

9. EssentialParadox

EssentialParadox Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    They're very similar devices, and almost identical in development terms, so I don't see many reasons not to target both! iPad is simply a higher resolution, which shouldn't be too difficult to support if you are making the game and its graphics from scratch.

Note: I say this as an iPad owner who uses it constantly throughout the day and downloads wayy more apps than I ever did on the smaller iOS devices. I think while the iPhone and iPod currently have more users, if the iPad ever reaches even half that size, the amount of time people spend on the device in comparison will easily make it the most profitable iOS platform. So I believe it's worth developing for simply because of the future potential behind it.

10. onion

onion Member

Feb 9, 2010
    Apologies for reviving an old thread.

The more I look at this, the more I see developers who are releasing 'iPad only' games, what would be the reasoning for this, surely it would make more sense, as has been pointed out in this thread, to create games on both platforms ? Is it because, as an iPad app, developers can charge more for the product, and as such, even if volume sales are lower than they would expect on the iPhone / iPod, the cash incentive could actually be higher on the iPad due to the increased pricing stucture ?

I have my Mac now, but I'm currently torn whether on not to get the iPod Touch 4G, or wait a couple of months or so, and get the new iPad which I heard is due Q1 2011, I can't afford both, right now, my research seems to show iPod Touch as having the best sales, but analysts have predicted ( not that I put much faith in that ) that iPad sales could move to 28 million in 2011, especially when apple add Facetime and whatever other fancy 'stuff' they have in the pipeline.

I'm curious to hear more opinions, I always value the advice in these forums.

11. lukeca

lukeca Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Get the iPod Touch now, develop apps for it, make lots of money and use it to buy the new iPad next year :)

12. dyscode

dyscode Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Living
    World
    yes in the last Apple Keynote on the iPod4, Jobs showed similar figures, too.

13. mobilainteractive

mobilainteractive Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2009
    We had a game featured in the iPhone store, then, after it went "universal" it was featured in the iPad store. It was surprising to see that the sales during iPad promo were ~20% stronger than during iPhone one. Perhaps the iPad users are more commited to buying games?...

14. Photics

Photics Well-Known Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Apple doesn't like this either. The iPad version is supposed to be significantly different from the iPhone / iPod touch version. Otherwise, one of the two apps might be rejected.

1. They might have software like GameSalad, which doesn't support universal binaries... not yet anyway.
    2. The iPad is fast, so a more advanced game can be created.
    3. More sales - Developers know that iPad users are willing to pay more for apps.
    4. Different screen ratio. The iPad is like a 4:3 TV, where the iPhone / iPad screen is more narrow.

As for the iPad vs the iPod Touch... isn't the iPod Touch a lot cheaper?

I sent a universal app to Apple yesterday. It's the app version of my book. The current description text states that the iPad version is recommended for optimal viewing. That's because the iPad has a larger screen. If you're going to do a lot of reading and web browsing, the iPad might be better. I think it depends on what matters most to you.

15. DylanNagel

DylanNagel Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Freelance game producer at Wild Card
    The Hague, The Netherlands
    Hello everyone! Just to pitch in: I'm not completely sure about iPad vs iPhone sales for our game, but we do see a constant 10% iPad stat in our gameplay tracker.

Another related question: are device stats available here on TouchArcade? It would be great to know more about distribution, possibly combined with number of free and paid apps purchased etc. A little demogrpahics profiling wouldn't hurt, as it allows us devs to make better games!