iPad help: Screen protectors

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Silver Orange, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Silver Orange

Silver Orange Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    California
    I just got a new iPad 2 and I was wondering if I should get a screen protector. So for the time being, I just left the original plastic layer the iPad came with on to act as a screen protector. It seems to be working very well at the moment. It doesnt bother me at all and seems to be protecting the screen. Should I just leave the plastic layer on? Or is it a bad idea?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    This topic gets discussed very frequently, and I can tell you - you will get as many opinions as there are people. My family has 2 iPads, and 4 iPhones.

I put screen protectors on most things because they get shoved in backpacks with keys, and whatever else gets thrown in. My iPad I have an antiglare just for that purpose - not for screen protection. I have an iPhone 4 without a protector, and no scratches after a year. The glass they use - Gorilla Glass is very tough stuff - it will only scratch if you are really being rough with it - throwing keys on it, sliding it on sandy surfaces - in short, abusing it. Treat it with even a little bit of care, and there are no worries. Or, get a case with a cover to protect the face from an accident.

It looks gorgeous without a protector, and my vote is to not get a protector unless you are either rough, or accident prone. If you do get a protector, the best ones that I have used are the ones from power support. They look the best to me, and are made very well. Putting a protector on an iPad is a pain, it took me 2 hours before I got rid of every single little hint of any bubble - but, it has been 6 months, and the protector still is perfect. Again I use one for 1) antiglare and 2) I like the slight tactile feedback. They make the screen look not as nice though - no 2 ways about it. I don't use one on my iPhone 4 - am rough with it - slide it across the desk, drop it on the table (not abusive, just not babying it) and I have no scratches on it at all. The glass looks brand new, while the metal has fine scratches on it.

Lots of opinions, but don't put one on because someone tries to convince you the screen will get ruined. The glass has changed significantly over the last couple years, and is much, much tougher than it used to be. You have to be abusive, it won't scratch under normal use. Of course, someone will insist it will, but read about Gorilla Glass and come to your own conclusions.

I don't worry at all about the case - these things only are good for a couple or 3 years before thy are essentially obsolete - so what difference does a pristine case make for an obsolete piece of electronics? Oh, and my case looks great anyways - it just does not look new. These are built very tough, and made to be handled - just not abused. Good luck.

3. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Screen protectors are well worth the effort as long as they are applied right. I had to change mine a few weeks ago after getting a scrape but the screen underneath was still flawless.

Nothing more annoying than a screen protector not on right though I recommend taking your time and doing it in as much a dust free environment as possible.