iPhone iPACROSS -- the classic puzzle game refined for iPad -- [in Apple review]]

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Braitree Studio, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Braitree Studio

Oct 23, 2010
    iPACROSS is our latest game for iPad. It is currently being reviewed by Apple. I will bring more news soon! For more info, please visit http://ipacross.braintreestudio.com

click the imge to enlarge
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

iPACROSS features:
    * 17 themes, 272 puzzles in total for single-player mode. That's 100+ hours of fun.
    * 5 difficulty levels for single-player mode, from the relaxing 5x5 to the highly challenging 25x25.
    * Innovative 2 player mode with 3 different board sizes (10x10, 15x15 and 20x20).
    * Exclusive multiplayer puzzle library with 1000+ uniquely designed puzzles.
    * Step-by-step tutorial for beginner.
    * OpenFeint integration. 8 achievements to unlock.
    * Compete with your friends and other iPACROSS fans for higher world ranking.
    * Post your best score and display the pixel art you just resolved on Facebook and Twitter.

iPACROSS is a puzzle game known by many other names, including Paint by Numbers, Logic Puzzle, Griddlers, Nonogrames or Picross. The game exploits concepts similar to Sudoku, but rather than focusing solely on numbers, iPACROSS requires you to use logic and numeric hints to deduce the pixel art hidden in the game board. This simple yet highly addictive game will certainly become your next brain-teasing habit.

In addition to a ton of puzzles to play alone in single-player mode, iPACROSS also features an original 2 player game mode. In this fast-paced mode, you can use the puzzle resolving skills learned from single-player mode to compete with a friend. You and your friend will take the control of the game in turn. The player who reveals the most hidden pixels in the art wins. This innovative game mode takes what can be a very relaxing puzzle experience and make it totally manic! iPACROSS also has an exclusive puzzle library which is completely independent of the single-player library and contains more than 1000 puzzles! We invite you to try it for yourself, it's a great fun!

In addition, iPACROSS offers fine-tuned touch control and completely redesigned user interface that fully takes advantage of iPad's large screen. Our target is to deliver the best puzzle-resolving experience on the iPad. For those challenge-seeking puzzle veterans, iPACROSS offers extra-large 25X25 puzzles that will certainly satisfy your appetite. Did we mention that iPACROSS also has an unique feature that lets you post and share the pixel art you just resolved, with your score on Facebook and Twitter through OpenFeint integration?

We are constantly improving our game and we're dedicated to making it the best logic puzzle game on iPad. Your support and feedback are always important to us. Your favourable review would also help to speed up the FREE UPDATE! Yes, we will continue to bring you FREE UPDATES with more content and more fun! We are glad to let you know that the new puzzle levels and a brand new 2 player game mode are already in development.

For more information about Brain Tree Studio, please visit www.braintreestudio.com. For additional support, please contact [email protected]. Follow us on Twitter @braintreestudio.

2. swarmster

swarmster Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Looks awesome! I've been pretty disappointed with the picross games in the App Store. There aren't many, for one. And the presentation and amount of content (especially large-grid content) is usually pretty lacking. This is promising, though.

3. Braitree Studio

Oct 23, 2010
    As fans of picross game ourselves, our goal is to make the best logic puzzle game on iPad. I hope 270+ for single player and 1000+ for multi-player would satisfy your appetite. Besides we are already in development of new puzzles levels which will eventually expand the single player library to 400+ puzzles. We promise these updates will be free. As for large-grid game, iPACROSS features 25X25 game which is not often seen in other games. We put extra effort in this mode, not only because larger grids requires more careful puzzle design and art work, also this size is already too large for iPad screen. We developed a movable game board which required quite a lot of extra coding. But we insisted on putting the 25X25 mode in, because we want to take care of the hardcore players.

4. pka4916

pka4916 Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    Looking forward for this one.

1 thing though. does the 25x25 on the whole screen, or do you need
    to slide the board around ?

5. songbird

songbird Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2009
    *drools*
    This looks awesome - I was just playing picross yesterday and thinking how much I love it. I can't wait to add this to my collection! :D good luck with the app store review process. :)

6. Braitree Studio

Oct 23, 2010
    25x25 still has the control panel on the side, player needs to move game board using 2 fingers on the board or 1 finger in the preview area. My personal preference is to keep my left thumb on the preview and use right index finger to play game. It feels pretty comfortable.

We considered using floating numbers on the game board to maximize the playable area, but this will create other implications. I would appreciate more feedbacks from you guys.

By the way, we are considering porting iPACROSS to Mac App Store. And, if possible, we will bundle iPad and Mac versions together. We still have no idea if Apple allows this, but if the answer is yes, we will definitely do so! If you buy one version, you will get the other version for free!

7. swarmster

swarmster Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Picross DS, which I played a ton back when I still used my DS, had a system similar to yours, I think, with a puzzle overview display and a "zoomed in" scrollable game board that you used to work on the puzzle. It worked well, and you can bet Nintendo did a lot of UI testing before picking that. With the addition of multitouch and being able to scroll with two fingers or a thumb while still filling in the puzzle sounds like it can only add to the interface.

On the other hand, I don't think I like the sound of floating numbers, although I guess I'd have to see what you mean by that.

Random question: the game doesn't tell you when you do something wrong, right? Or is there a least an option to turn warnings off?

Looking forward to trying it, anyway. Honestly, you should consider sending a review copy to Touch Arcade when it's out. They've never really talked about picross games, and they seem pretty partial to pixel art (as am I), so if the game's good, you could get some coverage.

8. Braitree Studio

Oct 23, 2010
    If you mark a X in a wrong place, there won't be any warning or so since the X is considered as a helper only and it can be removed after.

If you mark a O in a wrong place, the game will put the X instead with sound and visual warning. You will also get a penalty of several minutes. The more error you made in one puzzle, the heavier penalty you will get. So, be careful. ;)

9. Braitree Studio

Oct 23, 2010
    Thanks for the advice, we will contact Touch Arcade to see if a review can be arranged.

About floating numbers, maybe I didn't make it clear before. We share the same concern and thus decided to use fixed-size but movable board, not floating numbers.

As for warning, Frank, our programmer, has already answered your question. We are open to any kind of feedback and advice. If you have any, don't hesitate to let us know. :)

10. Solid Snake Man

Solid Snake Man Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    EMT/Instrumentalist
    Sacramento, CA
    This looks phenomenal, I'm really looking forward to it! I absolutely love a good Picross puzzle and can't wait for the release!

11. Braitree Studio

Oct 23, 2010
    Thanks for you support, Solid Snake Man. We too are anxiously waiting for Apple's approval.;)

12. songbird

Dec 4, 2009
    Ok, I just watched the video yet again. I want now.... :D any idea what the price will be? Intro sale by any chance? :)

13. Braitree Studio

Oct 23, 2010
    #13 Braitree Studio, Oct 26, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
    Hi Songbird, the price will be 4.99 USD. But we are considering a launch special, so please stay tuned. :D

14. Touchgamer3g

Touchgamer3g Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Will an iPhone/iPod Touch version of iPACROSS be released? :)

15. Braitree Studio

Oct 23, 2010
    We have no plan yet for iPhone or iPod. The main concern is that the small screen can't deliver a satisfying game experience. We tested iPhone in the early stage of development and drew the conclusion that iPhone is not suitable for game like iPACROSS that requires large view area as well as large touch area.

16. songbird

Dec 4, 2009
    Sweet, I'll be watching! :D thank you considering one. :)

17. Touchgamer3g

Touchgamer3g Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2009
    #17 Touchgamer3g, Oct 27, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
    There are many games like iPACROSS for the iPhone (even with the smaller screen) that work very well. Take a look at Color Cross and Animal Color Cross in the App Store. I am sure that iPACROSS would look just as great on the smaller screen as do these games! Zoom-in feature is key :D

18. Inksplat

Inksplat Member

Oct 26, 2010
    If you do end up going with a launch special, I'll pick this up as soon as it hits. If not, it would only take a decent review here to push me over the edge. Picross is one of my favorite games on my DS and I'd love a solid, expansive version for mu iPad.

19. Braitree Studio

Oct 23, 2010
  20. goiMot

goiMot Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Physician
    Congrats on the release, looks great!