iOS Updating Help

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Whosatm, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Whosatm

Whosatm Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    I think I may have asked this question in the past, but I couldn't seem to find the thread in search... Right now my 3rd Gen 64GB is on iOS 4.1 (the Gamecenter update) and now quite a bit of apps require 4.2 or higher. I don't update my iPod because it always gets wiped in the process. How do I update it without losing all of my data?

2. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    In my experience you can't. IOS 5 took a massive 5 hours to update on my 64gb 3rd gen and after all that it was still completely messed up with my music and half my apps being inaccessable. I think it took so long because my iPod was mostly full but still 5 hours and then messing everything up anyway.

With apple it's just hoping for the best. Once you get over the IOS 5 hurdle the updates are easier but still take longer than most other devices or even to install windows from scratch.

3. WCFields

WCFields Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2009
    steel worker
    #3 WCFields, Mar 8, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
    doesn't seem to be very many people here at TA wih a 3rd.gen anymore

4. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I have never had an update wipe out my iPhone or iPad, so I'm not sure what to tell you. Everything is retained unless you do a restore without restoring from backup, but why would you do that? Just update. If you have an issues, restore, but from backup. What am I missing?

If you're restoring from backup, make sure you have a backup to restore from! Let iTunes back it up before you do an update. If you turned off automatic backups, either turn them on again, or manually do a backup by right clicking your device in the sidebar in iTunes and backup now or whatever the option is.

5. WCFields

WCFields Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2009
    steel worker
    depending on how much content you have on your idevice the back up shouldn't take very long.

6. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    #6 crunc, Mar 8, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
    Oh, one thing that isn't backed up are photos. You need to get those off your phone if they aren't already on your computer. Otherwise you will lose them. It will back up that they were on there (if you use iPhoto on a Mac), but they aren't in the backup itself. So it will put them back on for you if you need for some reason to restore from backup, but they need to be on your computer. Maybe this works somehow on Windows as well, but I don't know. In any case, make sure you copy off any new photos before the update. I'm pretty sure it will warn you of that.

7. scott2012

scott2012 Member

Mar 1, 2012
    [​IMG]I have never had an update wipe out my iPhone or iPad

8. Snozberry

Snozberry Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2012
    I was haunted for lif back years ago when I lost everything off my iPod touch, twice, after updating.
    So noe I never update ANYTHING. All my devices are running the system
    It came with.

Maybe apple was dodgey with that years go and now the problem
    Is fixed.

Once I just plugged my iPod into my laptop and everything was deleted. I think apple was very strict trying to counteract piracy back then.. But they seemed to have relaxed a little since it's so easy to jailbreak these days there's nothin they can really do about piracy so they loosened the ropes a little maybe.

Im still not sure if I have the balls to actually update anything still though. But when I start getting "this game requires iOS 5.1" for atleast 3 games I really badly want to play.. Then I probably will hope my breath and update.

It won't be THAT bad if I lose everything. But it would be annoying.
    I don't keep many songs on my iPad anyway, I just mainly use it for gaming so I'd just have to redownload the games and I have photos but it wouldn't be the end of the world if I lost them so maybe I should put on my big girl panties and cross over to the darkside.
    Actually fck no! I've heard not to ever update to a new weapon when it first comes out because most games aren't supported yet.. So in a few months I guess I'll get them panties out.. Maybe.