iOS game with the best graphics

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by tsharpfilm, Sep 21, 2010.

1. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    Real Racing, Zen Bound 2, and maybe Nova or Archetype (they're all great on retina display at least).

As far as use of graphics goes, which I think is more important, Spider, Zen Bound 2 again, Canabalt, and certain other retroish games (maybe HookChamp) get my vote.

2. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

Thanks to everyone who mentioned our baby :)

The discussions around this topic tend to fall apart because hardly ever any common criteria are established. Game graphics can be picked apart and analyzed in many ways, and outside of pure subjective arguments, visuals can (and should!) be awarded both by their technical and artistic merits.

Technical issues are easy to spot, telltale signs are blurry or blocky textures, choppy frame-rates, flickering, poorly thought-out menus and UI, etc. And for "best" graphics any of the above are inexcusable.

As far as artistic merits go, tastes vary, but in general good visual design requires well-selected color palettes and fonts, clean layouts, appealing character design, a good understanding of lighting and composition etc.

A huge factor is also how well the graphics serve the usability and gameplay on the target device.

When you examine the majority of the popular iPhone games under these criteria, only few titles score top marks and even fewer developers do so consistently.

If I had to pick one developer as the benchmark, it would be Illusion Labs.

3. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    You're just being modest because that title clearly goes to Secret Exit;)

4. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    It's like you take Dungeon Hunter, make a better story, give it a soul, and finally add something I like to call 'fun'.

5. TheSt33lCurtain

TheSt33lCurtain Active Member

Jan 18, 2010
    I don't know it it has been mentioned yet but I think jet car stunts has some amazing graphics

6. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Agreed!

7. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    Lol. Yeah. The graphics in Labyrinth 2 and Zen Bound 2 both make my jaw drop, but the graphics in Zen Bound 2 make my jaw drop a little more. And it's a great game.

I already own Zen Bound 2, and I'm currently TRYING to make myself get Labyrinth 2.

Totally agree. I love how the developer was able to simulate global illumination (colors reflecting off each other). That must have taken some very careful and tricky texture mapping.