IOS device free memory question

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by ssahnan, Nov 30, 2014.

1. ssahnan

ssahnan Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Has anyone ever added up the reported numbers of the space each app is taking up and compared it vs the reported usage? For example, my device says 40gb is used(64gb iPhone 6+ with 55.7gb of memory reported available on a empty device) but if I add it up individually based on what its reporting per app on that usage screen, it doesn't approach that number, more closer to 35gb of used space. Just curious, looking for insight

2. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

I'm pretty sure Apple doesn't allow us to see exactly all space being taken up, some of it may be from the OS while some may be from pre-installed apps.

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    #3 psj3809, Nov 30, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
    Exactly there's a chunk of space used for preinstalled apps and the OS in general. If you have a 32GB device you won't have exactly 32 gig free for apps

4. ssahnan

ssahnan Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2009
    I always assumed the drop from 64gb to 55gb free was the space for the os. I was curious from the 55gb after os and apple app install, if anyone had ever noticed a discrepancy between what is reported and what just adding up all the app installs gets you.

5. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

There's also the problem of apps re installing themselves, but the information not showing, so you may want to get that checked. Although in 95% sure it's all of what's been mentioned.