iOS 4 Game Compatibility List

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by richmlow, Jun 22, 2010.

1. dyscode

dyscode Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Living
    World
    @fantomik
    @eugekava

I had the same on BOTH games. Also on Assassins Creed.
    Sometimes Games need to be started TWICE to work proberly.

At least on my 2G iPod they crash the first time but play fine afterwards.

2. emsboy

emsboy Active Member

Dec 31, 2008
    How to tell which games are OS 4.0 compatible?

Hi all,

I've been an avid iPhone gamer for the past year and just upgraded my iPhone 3GS to OS 4.0.

All the games I've been playing are around half a year old, I haven't bought any new ones in a while and I've been out of the loop.

After upgrading to OS 4.0 I noticed several of my games would not play anymore, including The Creeps, but others still work fine ie: Monopoly Here and Now.

Anyways, I am going to pull the trigger since the 99 cent sale is going on with so many new games and stock up on some new things to play. How will I know if they will work on OS 4.0 or not though? Is there a way to tell? I'll be disappointed if the majority of the games I buy won't be playable.

PS: Will all current iPhone games work fine on the iPhone 4g (assuming I might get one) or will we have to wait for some type of update for every game's developer for it to be compatible with the new iPhone? (I don't know what the problem would be, I'm just assuming maybe because the resolution is different or the iPhone is just newer? Would all games be non-playable on the new iPhone for a while or what?

3. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Games that work:

Guitar Hero
    Pix'n Love Rush
    Pocket God
    Robot Unicorn Attack
    Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
    MiniSquadron & Special Edition
    Phoenix Wright
    Geometry Wars
    Carcassonne
    Boggle
    Tilt to Live
    Street Fighter IV
    Doodle Jump
    Super Turbo Action Pig
    Truckers Delight
    DropZap
    Orbital
    Flaboo
    Fruit Ninja
    Soosiz
    Espgaluda II
    Circuit Strike One
    RollOut
    Cows in Space
    Paracute
    Cat Physics

Apps that work:

Engadget
    IGN Game Reviews
    Gamespot
    SlideToPlay
    Facebook
    The Game Trail
    Mashable
    RedLaser
    Vegan Xpress
    G4

Games that do not work:

Pocket Devil

Apps that do not work:

Movie Genie :(

That's my list of apps that I've tried so far in the new OS.. sans ones that I know for a fact have been talked about (in terms of the working apps/games).

Both Movie Genie and Pocket Devil crash when starting them up. I've tried several times for each :\

And as a sidenote, even though Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 is working, I still hope Activision gives it an update.. both to fix the glitch with Officer Dick, and also add multitasking ability (please, for the love of all that is fluffy, make iPod music playback possible).

So there we go. Thought I'd chime in with some of the things I tried, and my results :)

4. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Look for (Tested with iOS4) in the game's name/description/Recent Update entry.

Some games will work great, some will be funky, some won't work at all. You will see a lot of iOS4 updates for games in the next week or so, and possibly 4.0.x updates to the OS itself, which will help.

I won't be updating until Isotope updates for iOS4 ;)

5. emsboy

emsboy Active Member

Dec 31, 2008
    So will all games that are confirmed to work on OS 4.0 be fine in the iPhone 4g? I'm just thinking that since it's a whole new phone with new resolution games would have to be tweaked again or am I wrong?

If I get an Iphone 4g, all my games or at least the majority will work fine right?

6. fantomik

fantomik Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Poland
    I tried even five-six times, then I tried to reinstall the app, restart the device and again tried few times. The results are still the same :-(

f.

7. dyscode

Apr 11, 2010
    Living
    World
    I am inclined to say: yes. But the truth is: we will find out. Since it´s a NEW device.
    I can only say for the 300+ apps I own and have tested on my OLD device,
    that I came across appr. 3 - 5% of apps that don´t work.

I guess a more a proper comparison is: if the iPhone apps run on the iPad, they will work on the iPhone 4G, too.

8. dyscode

Apr 11, 2010
    Living
    World
    sorry, man. :( Guess it´s device generation related.

9. Vinyl Darhma

Vinyl Darhma Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2010
    Sigma does not work with iOS4 right now...sh*t.....that game is my favorite match 3 ever.

10. zacheryjensen

zacheryjensen New Member

Jul 25, 2009
    So far all of the games and apps I have tried work with iPhone 4. But you know, it's far more likely that the iOS 4 upgrade will break apps than the device update. The 3D accelerator is the same as before, and that was the main thing that broke games when the 3G S came out.

As for resolution, the iOS API is designed to make this a non-issue. Only games where the programmer went well out of their way to do things wrong will there be issues because of it. And because the pixels are so tightly packed, the upscaling that happens still looks pretty good. Some apps actually look better even without artwork updates. (Edge is an example of that)

Whether or not to upgrade is your decision because it will only affect you. There is always a chance your favorite game or app won't work or will perform poorly and the dev has abandoned it *cough*Sway*cough* but that's always a risk as technology advances.

11. quebecotr

quebecotr Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Male
    Retired teacher
    Milwaukee, WI
    That Ain't It Trivia games

Has anyone else been having trouble with the "That Ain't It" trivia games ? I just bought them because I saw in the forum that their price went down to 99 cents.

Problem is that as soon as I try to load the game, the entire iPod Touch crashes, and it takes a good five minutes to restart. I'm wondering if it's a iOS4 issue,or if the games are not stable, and that was the reason for the price drop... :confused:

Any input would be appreciated !

12. JustAGamer

JustAGamer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2010
    #52 JustAGamer, Jun 24, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
    I have no issue with Ghost n Goblins Gold Knights. Maybe it's because mine is 3GS. So far, the games/apps that I have and are having OS4 compatibility problems are :

Maestro! Green Groove
    Deer Hunter 3D
    Itemania
    Pocket Chef
    The Creeps!
    PhotoSpeak
    MouthOff - EDIT : Got an update today for OS4 fix. Thanks guys.

7 out of 22X games/apps, is around 4%. I think that ain't so bad .

13. Puzbox

Puzbox Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Making fun games
    London
    Barnyard Bounce introduces new features:

- iOS4 compatibility

- Difficulty tweaks

- Score "bugs" - these were never bugs just a little text error not matching up with openfeint. People thought it was cover to drastically mark down a game with a typo though... thanks guys ? :p

- added adverts to this free title. It will remain free, so let me at least recoup more than the $30 it's made in sales so far before you complain about a small advert. After all it cost a lot to develop and I am nowhere close to recouping that.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/barnyard-bounce-deluxe-the/id369739418?mt=8

14. swishinj

swishinj Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2009
    CEO at Apple Inc.
    jailbroke it

15. Jetwilson

Jetwilson Well-Known Member

16. Spocket

Spocket Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Anyone have a list of games that when you exit you don't lose progress or have to wait for load times?

17. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    Just off the top of my head...

Undercroft (autosaves occasionally but i'm not sure about all the time)
    All PopCap games
    Super Quick Hook - quick load and saves you exactly where you were in the game
    Babo Crash
    Bee Spelled
    Sword of Fargoal
    Sword and Poker 1 and 2
    Underworlds (autosaves all the time)
    Words with Friends and Chess with Friends (saved on server :p)

18. Astraware

Astraware Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Games Studio
    UK
    We're working on updates for our own Astraware IP titles, and the update to Astraware Sudoku with the multi-tasking quick switch feature has already been submitted to Apple. We're expecting to add others very soon, and we'll be updating with hi-res graphics on a bunch as well.

19. rshkhsee

rshkhsee Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2010
    Blashyrkh
    Add 'Beat It' to the list of broken games..

20. Osujxu

Osujxu Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    BIA2 just does not work anymore