iOS 4 arcade wallpaper

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Mindfield, Jul 7, 2010.

1. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    pokemon wall.jpg

Hey guys, I took some inspiration from this and made a Poke'mon wallpaper for you all to enjoy, if you'd like!

2. Thank you! :) I do like clean lines too and some of them are a little busy, but I keep looking for classic arcade games that would lend themselves well to cleaner designs.

3. Hey, not bad, classic Game Boy action there. :D

4. Just added The Electric Yo-Yo, another one of my faves. :)

5. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    What, no Q-Bert?! :p

6. I'd like to, but there's just no way to make one that isn't ridiculously busy and would look like crap underneath the icons. I could fade it, I suppose, but I've been trying to avoid that in favour of greater visibility to make it look like the game is playing behind your icons.

7. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    Or how about Joust and you could position it so there are eggs to collect scattered around sitting on the icons while the jousters are standing or flying around others, and have lava on the bottom on either side of the central platform.

8. Joust could work; the platforms would be easy to position behind icons, and the lower platform is mostly out of the way. The only thing that might get in the way a little bit is the jousters themselves, which may be a little large even to position within 4-way icon intersections. I can resize, but it's hard reducing what are already small sprites without losing critical detail or crunching lines into sub-pixel range without using bilinear filtering in the rescaling (which looks like crap on retro graphics). I'll play around with it though and see if it can be made to work.

9. runformoney1110

runformoney1110 Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Graphic designer
    In your closet
    hey, mindfield, what about Snake? Make it really simple and have a mid-sized snake twisting around the icons and place the food pixel somewhere!

10. Snake is a little simplistic I think -- not much eye candy -- but it does give me a good idea for the arcade's take on it: Nibbler! That would work well I think. :)

11. And thus, Nibbler has been added.

12. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Thought I'd do a snake anyway, and it is a tad bland, but someone may like it!

worms wall.jpg

13. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Hey Mindfield,
    Thanks for the light bikes! For an old fart like me its a real blast. Anything you wanted to do with Star Wars or the likes would be a gas. I checked out the pac man theme you linked, isn't it a shame it's not animated!
    You're the best!
    Cyg

14. Thanks -- from one old fart to another. :)

The idea of Star Wars intrigued me and I thought the first vector game would make a good candidate, so I just added it to the first post. Unfortunately iOS 4 compresses the crap out of homescreen images, so the vectors got a little washed out unfortunately, as you can tell from the in-use screenshot. But there it is anyway.

15. KGameLover1

KGameLover1 Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2009
    Student
    Ohio
    OMG. Donkey Kong AND lightbikes! Thanks so much, Mindfield!!

16. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    Putting up a wallpaper I made...Joust :)

Be sure you full zoom in on it before downloading or applying, or it will be too small.

joust.jpg