Ios 4.2 being released today at 10 am pacific

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Derek800, Nov 22, 2010.

1. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

Looking forward to updating my iPad.

2. Future777

Future777 FDG Entertainment<br />Co-Founder
    Patreon Studio

This will enable Game Center in Cover Orange HD :)

3. This. Now my wife can put her stuff in her own folder(s). :)

4. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    iOS not Ios.
    Sorry, but I just hate it when people capitalise the i

5. Derek800

Derek800 Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    I hate when people make useless nitpicking posts such as this.

6. nachoslocos

nachoslocos Active Member

Nov 17, 2010
    I thought it was against the rules. But, I guess TA needs those 10 post per day, per person like him, on average to stay active. Whether they're useless or not. :cool:

Ohh, 4.2 update is also useless.

7. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Hey I didn't mean to be rude, I was just trying to be helpful. When you read the thread title "Ios", it looks like "los".
    It's better if you write "iOS" instead. Again, I apologise, I just like to see good grammar.

8. CaptainAwesome

CaptainAwesome Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Student
    The Island of Berk
    Thank you, almighty source of all things legal. Shall we worship thee and thy holy correctness in all things moral and digital and the symbiotic nature of those two precepts?

9. nachoslocos

nachoslocos Active Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Exactly my point.

10. Got my iPad updated. Unfortunately it meant dealing with the sync problem I had, which meant I had to do a restore and update and manually resync all my apps. Friggin' annoying, but I got it done and it's getting organized. I'm so glad I can finally put stuff in folders and use multitasking properly. Now I just need more apps iPad updated to support it properly.

11. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    My phone can now sound like an orchestratypewriter when people text me, it's crazy!

12. dogface

dogface Well-Known Member

Are there any benefits having this on the touch?

13. skidbubble

skidbubble Active Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Not a fan of iOS 4. They changed the function of the screen orientation lock and volume rocker. ::thumbs down::

14. pgboy

pgboy Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2010
    Ugh dont even talk about syncing problems, they are a pain in the ass

15. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Hyup. Moving from iOS3.x to iOS4.x best move is to backup -> download but don't install the iOS, then restore from your backup.

Might not be so bad if you don't have much on, but my iOS4 upgrade was a several day affair that really sucked... :mad:

16. pgboy

pgboy Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2010
    my iOS 4.2 update was horrible, i had a usb port issue, i had to go to apple and use a different computer, a 45 minute drive just to wait 10 minutes to update and lose all my apps, and when i got home and tried again of course it asked if i want to use my backup and of course i said yes, and of course it didnt backup at all and all my save games were gone, i tried searching for my backup but of course i could find every other backup but the one i needed! :(

17. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    Find My iPhone is probably the biggest-- it's free for all 4th gen iPhone/iPod/iPad owners. http://www.apple.com/mobileme/features/find-my-iphone.html

There is a full list of changes here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_version_history#4.2

I didnt have any trouble updating, but now, whenever I try to move apps/delete them, My device freezes for a few seconds before going into the "move/delete mode". Anyone else have this issue? I'm on a 4g iPod Touch.

18. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    So it isn't just me!

I've sought all over the net for any mentions of this annoyance to no avail previously.

I have an iPod Touch 3G, so perhaps this is just an iPod Touch issue?

Please let me know if you ever find a fix to this!

19. Rein37

Rein37 Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2010
    Not if you have a second gen touch, I can tell you that. I was really looking forward to some of the new features in this new update and it doesn't seem like a single one is compatible with the 2nd gen touch. And it's a nearly 400 megabyte file. Maybe I didn't read the fine print closely enough or don't know where to look for some of the new features but... in my opinion if you have a 2nd gen ipod than this is the update where Apple officially gives us the finger.