iPad Introducing Connected (Puzzle Game)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by made-up software, Jun 10, 2009.

1. #1 made-up software, Jun 10, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
    We are pleased to announce the release of Connected, an original puzzle game for the iPhone and iPod Touch.

iTunes: Connected on the App Store

Price: $0.99, £0.59, €0,79

[​IMG]

Description:

Connected is a sliding puzzle game where you have to connect the pipes to solve the puzzle.

You'll need all the pieces to solve each puzzle, and you can't leave any open ends.

Connected has 40 puzzles and we're pretty sure that most of you will be able to solve 39 of them, but we couldn't resist dropping in a frustratingly difficult final puzzle. If you can complete puzzle 40 please let us know, you'll need to send us a screenshot though just to prove it!! Email connectedapp at me.com.

Good luck!

2. farley

farley Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Oooooooooooh, this DOES look good! :)

3. #3 made-up software, Jun 11, 2009
    Promo Codes: If you are a fan of puzzle games and have a US iTunes account pm me for a promo code (7 available).

Promo Codes are now gone...

4. GaiaIllusion

GaiaIllusion Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    Student
    加拿大
    Thanks. :)

I'm working my way up the levels. I like the concept of this puzzle. At first I wondered why I couldn't move the pipes, then I realized each pipe blocks movement of another, which made the difficulty level jump a lot. Very well made.

5. DonD_GT

DonD_GT Well-Known Member

May 12, 2009
    Sent a PM. I'm up for the challenge.

6. One promo code left... Any puzzle fans up for a challenge..?

7. Promo codes gone... good luck everyone, hope you enjoy the game.

8. DonD_GT

May 12, 2009
    Just went through the first 20 levels (of 40). I'm really enjoying this. It's a brain teaser, and really just about right in terms of difficulty.

The premise is simply to connect the pieces so that there is a continuous pipe linking the 2 ends that are on the top, bottom or sides with no 'extra' pipe pieces.

The starting layout for each level is arranged in such a way that virtually every piece needs to be moved, and more than that, they pieces need to be moved around each other. So if you have piece 4 blocks long that is in the upper right and needs to get to the lower left, there is another puzzle element in figuring out how to manipulate the pieces already on the board to allow that to happen (and at the same time remembering how the pipes looked before you made those moves).

Some of the levels are really tricky with multiple pipe loops on screen, but once you start experimenting with placing a couple of pieces in various places, it seems to get easier. My approach to this game is to 'get what you can'..pieces that can only fit in 1 place or maybe 2, and then see what you have and go from there. So far, it's been working out well and I'm finding it very satisfying completing each level.

Kudos on a really well done app. I'm looking forward to the next 20 and whatever else you have in store after that.

9. HJJ

HJJ Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    #9 HJJ, Jun 11, 2009
    I'm up for this challenge :)

Downloading...

ETA:
    Ugh, no sound effects??? :(

10. HJJ

HJJ Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    OK, I'm playing now. Do you think it's really necessary to have the pipes block one another? For me, it seems like it just hinders gameplay because you have to constantly be rearranging the pieces that are not in use. I'm not sure how this really affects the "difficulty" level. It seems like the puzzles would be the same if the piece you're dragging is "always on top".

Can you explain how you think this makes it more "difficult" as opposed to just more cumbersome? (thanks)

11. falloutmike

falloutmike Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    VA
    That is definately one of the things that makes this game difficult, it isn't meant to be easy. I think it should stay this way...

I'm loving this game so far, extremely challenging later on... can't put it down! ;p

12. GaiaIllusion

GaiaIllusion Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    Student
    加拿大
    I'm not sure. It kinda reminded me of... Traffic Jam? Except this time you arrange pipes in order.
    I haven't gone very far yet, only on level 9. I assume there are levels with more pieces afterwards.

13. DonD_GT

May 12, 2009
    More pieces and larger pieces, plus funny shapes. They become harder to navigate around each other.

As I stated above, I like the added layer of complexity from pipes blocking each other.

14. falloutmike

falloutmike Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    VA
    I'm stuck on level 19 and 20... ;p

15. HJJ

HJJ Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    OK, I see what you guys are saying. This is a pretty neat puzzle. But I do wish there were sound effects. I'm not really big into listening to MP3s when I play games, so it's always a bit weird when they don't have their own sound effects.

16. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    I been playing this for a bit and it's a pretty cool puzzler. It's part pipe connecting, but since you cannot move puzzle pieces over one another the need to shuffle pieces around to where you need them also becomes a part of solving the puzzle.

The premise - connect 2 given points on the edges of the puzzle grid with the given pipe pieces. All you need to do to move individual pipe sections around is simply drag them with your finger. You need to make sure you have enough space to move your pieces as well since pipe sections cannot "jump" over one another or occupy the same space. The game comes with 40 puzzles.

Pros:
    -simple gameplay - drag pieces to move
    -good number of puzzles to solve - 40 puzzles
    -difficulty gets gradually more difficult and so far seems to be a good progression
    -each puzzle actually connects to the next - you'll see this when scroll through completed levels
    -there is a nice tutorial demonstrating the basics of solving a puzzle

Cons:
    -icon not really very exciting looking
    -games does not have any sounds - no background music or sound effects and it really needs at least some sound effects
    -the brown background for the puzzle does its job, but it isn't very snazzy looking
    -the outline of squares each pipe occupies needs to be emphasized - when you have several pieces connected and suddenly discover that you need to disassemble what you've done to move a piece from one side of the board to the other, it is quite difficult to tell just what size a space you will need in order to start shuffling or at which points the pipes come apart - maybe instead of showing the grid within each pipe piece, just have it outlined, or make each piece a different color or something
    -the layout for accessing levels is also very confusing - the game apparently divides all the puzzles into 4 different levels with 10 in each set and you have to solve all the puzzles in one level to access the next - It would make more sense to me to call the 4 sections "Sets" and explain in the help section that there are 4 sets and how to unlock them.

Overall, Connected is a pretty fun pipe connecting puzzler that just needs a little snazzing up, I think, graphically and especially with sound effects to make it really enjoyable.