Universal Into Mirror (By ZHIPENG WANG)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Can you elaborate?

2. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
    One star? I really want to hear why

3. madreviewer

madreviewer Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2013
    I am on the fences- can you post a video review

4. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    How long is this game? It didn't sound like that many levels? 20 I think?

5. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
    It's challenging and long enough, each levels are about 5 minutes long (but it actually gets harder and harder so count more)

6. Chq

Chq Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    The pictures reminds me on Switchblade 2 (Amiga500).

Greetz Chris

7. toofinedog

toofinedog Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2013
    #27 toofinedog, Jun 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
    I like this game, but I have one complaint and one suggestion.

Complaint- You have to buy the previous piece of equipment to unlock the next one. It feels like whenever you buy something, a juicier carrot is dangled in front of you. If multiple pieces of equipment unlocked upon other equipment purchases, upgrades would feel less linear.

Suggestion- Combat feels a bit stiff. A back-dash/dodge/roll would work wonders.

8. Rain1dog

Rain1dog Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2010
    When will mobile gaming not look so bad. I'm so tired of these goofy looking mobile graphics,

9. JohnnyClash

JohnnyClash Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2016
    Hopefully never... Have you played the game? I am playing it, and I think it looks and sound beautiful.

10. skylined87

skylined87 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2014
    What? Why would you 1 star this game? Because the cut the price in half? Why?

11. eufeion

eufeion Well-Known Member

May 10, 2016
    Anyone know if the game support MFI Controllers? Seems like the perfect game for it

12. italodance

italodance Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    electrical
    Tehran-Iran
    The girl is pretty, can i select her to play? or just the guy, is she available? if your answer is yes i will purchase it!

13. Gurney Halleck

Gurney Halleck Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2012
    Telephony and Computer Network Engineering and Mai
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    I see that too! Ghost in the Shell influence is a huge plus for me. Having a great time playing this, even with the other great titles that came out same time!

14. orangefox

orangefox Member

Feb 9, 2013
    The game is good. But level loot doesn't rise as much as the difficulty does. You can die thousand times on higher level farming just 100 coins per run and easily collect 350 coins at level 3 with no dying. If you stuck at third chapter, just go back, rerun first chapter with the pleasure and collect 2500 coins for new gun.

15. orangefox

orangefox Member

Feb 9, 2013
    And yeah, like the cyberpunk setting 'a-la Matrix' with main hero looking like Raiden from MGS:). And all that hidden chips search + rpg elements.

16. madreviewer

madreviewer Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2013
    The control and the game difficulty are just way off.
    No real characters costumization
    What a shame this game could have been the next mark of the ninja

17. GUILTIE

GUILTIE Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Free today! :D

18. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Is there any way we could have the option of playing our own music in-game?

19. Zhang Doe

Zhang Doe Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2013
    #39 Zhang Doe, Aug 4, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
    I've been playing this for a week and really, really enjoy it. It's just an excellent game.

For a mobile game there's a decent variety of enemies. I think 11 enemies (one grenadier, three gunmen, four swordsmen and three drones.

Level design is quite nice and varied, yet relatively clear without too much hunting or backtracking needed to find key cards. There are also a variety of obstacles, like mounted guns, spikes, poison / lava pits. There are also secret stashes to be found, as well as bonus character upgrades for finding all of them in each level.

You can slash with your sword or shoot with your gun. Slashing has a chance at critical hits, and the game is pretty generous with this. The gun auto-tracks and shoots at an angle (maybe +/- 25 degrees) when enemies are close enough, otherwise just shoots straight.

I find the controls to be excellent and responsive, and movement is good. When moving side-to-side, the character feels well grounded and moves at a good pace. The jumping also feels good with a good gravitational pull on the way down, whether single jumping or double jumping. Not even close to floaty, so I don't agree with those user comments at all.

Upgrade system is pretty straight forward. As others have mentioned, it's a ... linear upgrade system. But you do have flexibility to select which upgrades you want to invest in. There are five upgrade categories, though there are some overlaps, for example where body armor gives you health upgrades, but gloves may give you smaller health upgrades and critical hit upgrades.

My one pseudo complaint is that the difficulty in later stages (I think level 16 or 17 and up) ramps up considerably, though generally feels challenging rather than unfair. One of those cases where you feel like you were a little unlucky or you were THIS CLOSE to getting it right. I'm stuck on level 19 but still enjoy going through the level.

The one good thing that helps off-set the stage difficulty is that those hidden stashes I mentioned ... if you find one, it's recognized, even if you die. So you can find the first one, then die ... then skip in subsequent attempts, and you can still get those bonus character upgrades.

Can't think of anything else. Just a really well done game. I don't normally bother writing reviews of mobile games, but I really liked this and the few comments I read didn't mesh at all with my experience.

20. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    i agree with you Zhang, this game is really good!