Internet requirement in games

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by chaos_envoys, Oct 29, 2014.

?

So how do you think about it?

1. I'm ok with it even in games with single player mode

4.0%
  2. I'm ok with it but only in a multiplayer only games

52.0%
  3. Absolutely hate it!

44.0%
  1. chaos_envoys

chaos_envoys Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Medical Doctor
    Pokke Village, Indonesia
    #1 chaos_envoys, Oct 29, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
    So, how does TAers think about this? I personally hate it!!

Further explanation about the option

1. The game has single player mode and requires a constant internet connection
    2. The game is multiplayer only and requires a constant internet connection
    3. Hate any game with constant internet connection, including multiplayer only games with no single player mode

2. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I personally hate it too, but i realize that this is where the norm is moving towards. I may not like it, but i can adjust if need be.

3. Edmilan

Edmilan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    Never liked it not one bit especially for single player. The Diablo series is my number one game ever ever EVER but this requirement of constantly connected to the internet is the sole reason why I had to abandon it

4. SherlockEB

SherlockEB Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 22, 2013
    This thing is a joke. I haven't played even one game with this and I'll keep avoiding it. If this becomes the norm in ios I'll abandon the platform and get an android phone/tablet and a portable console.

5. madreviewer

madreviewer Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2013
    In those type of game the costumer never own the game. The devs does

6. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    Just put in my hate vote because of this. The only company that i trust was Blizzard, because of their credibility to sustain servers. I will never spend money on some company that decides to make a single player game online only for whatever reasons, and then decide to pull it.

Also, because it's not mobile gaming, it's STEADY gaming, and for that i have PC, consoles and whatever else. When you are waiting in line, in the bank, in the transport, why do they require connection?

And lastly, because i simply don't get it. Cut down cheaters from the leaderboards so they can't cheat? That's fine, but if its a SINGLE player game, what gives? i couldn't care less who cheats or not, as long as i play my game when and where i want to.

7. madreviewer

madreviewer Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2013
    Smart decision

8. spajdr

spajdr Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Male
    Elder administrator
    Czech Republic, Ostrava
    No problem for me as i have internet available at work, at home and at every place i go is Wifi available :)

9. shining jade

shining jade Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2013
    I hate wifi only games ... At first I accepted it because of the cheaters then I learned they have the choice to make it offline ..
    Single player games that make sense to be able to play offline and online should have this option.. Castaway Paradise, Seabeard, Even Sims Freeplay make sense to be able to run offline they choose not to, even a handful of fun farm games run online WTH!
    I have a bunch I have uninstalled because of this B.S, I have kept a few if I find a friend that will play like Castaway Paradise but it still looks like it could run offline ..
    If its cheaters there so worry about server side the iAP and maybe do a lock on there game if the scores are odd for there level.. we have smart tech now ..they need to use it.......
    I hate the way iOS games are going not everyone has money to pay for wifi and could be off in east bum heck, where not all stores have wifi ... -_- where I am Mcdonalds has free wifi and burgerking ... I am sure not many go to fast food places alot I don't ... We need Apple to Kick some sense into these devs to force or make a mandatory offline mode for all single player like games ..

10. Shiatama_0

Shiatama_0 Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2012
    I absolutely hate it.
    I will buy an iphone soon but i am already worried about the data transfer that these games will generate. there is a data limit of 20 GB per month ;( and i have no wifi

11. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    Make it suit the style of play: if there's a legtimate NEED, then fine. Otherwise, I'd steer away personally.

Multiplayer, or pulling data from a server (or cloud AI, or AR mapping) that can't be kept locally.... that's fine. Even checking online to synch special "events." But requiring it to be on every time, even for single-player, for reasons that don't offer the user legitimate network functionality? No. Not a deal-breaker, quite, but a big strike against.

12. Edmilan

Edmilan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    That's what i told myself before and now? I got "tossed" by work to this crappy place with turtle net for 3 months since august, which is pretty much something less than GPRS and edge if you get lucky. Trying to load a webpage, even just Google's front page takes almost 15minutes. Plus zero wifi. Good thing is, tomorrow is my last day. So still, constantly connected to play a game that's not even mp? No sir

13. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Always online for single player games is the most stupid gaming-related thing ever. I also hate it when we're talking about a game with both single player and multiplayer modes (like MC5), but it's even worse when it's just a single player game.

14. When it's something like Modern Combat 5, I don't mind. That game pretty much gets its playtime from the online multiplayer

Something like Amazing Spider-Man 2, hell no. This is mobile gaming. That means mobile games should be played anywhere. Don't force that down with restrictions like that

15. thecmancan

thecmancan Member

Oct 28, 2012
    Telecommunications
    NYC
    If the game is Free to Play, I will keep my mouth shut and play the game if I like it.

If it's a paid game, even 99 cents, I would feel jaded if internet is absolutely required.

I've rarely ran into paid games being Internet required.

16. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    I hate it and avoid games that need it, in fact I've even had a refund for a game that needed to be online. So yeah, it's not good.