Universal Interloper (by Anchorite)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by physicalpariah, Jul 29, 2020.

1. Donkeygrave

Donkeygrave Active Member

Feb 28, 2013
    The storage space seems fine. It would be interesting if there was more to do with the equipment you get. Like a buyers list who want specific weapons or utilities. They then pay you money you can use on upgrades or a rotating set of equipment. The ability to buy insurance for individual weapons and utilities would be cool too.

2. physicalpariah

physicalpariah Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2016
    Indie Game Developer
    The missile timings weren't covered in the tutorial.. partly why the issues with the tutorial are so frustrating is that it's intentionally barebones, 5 steps, thrust is #3. its then basic weapons and utilities.

The lack of clarity with missiles is definitely an issue I'll try to work on asap.

3. physicalpariah

Jul 8, 2016
    Indie Game Developer

I like the idea of insurance. That said I've intentionally moved as hard away from having any kind of currency in the game as it's such a staple to "mobile" games. Maybe an insurance token dropped as loot or a one-use utility that takes up a slot? Not sure, but I do like that concept quite a bit.

4. physicalpariah

Jul 8, 2016
    Indie Game Developer
    #84 physicalpariah, Aug 3, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    So after seeing some of the gameplay footage out in the wild, and hearing peoples feedback, it very much looks like I severely missed the boat on the tutorial and first play experience for Interloper. I'd always intended for it to be barebones, but it's honestly less barebones and more.. just crappy.

I'm very sorry about that.

So that's going to have to be my priority for the first major update to the game, a full revamp of the intro experience that is welcoming to players of all backgrounds, whether you've played a flight sim before and can figure it out quickly or haven't ever touched a joystick, I want this game to at least give it's best go at helping people get into the genre.

That said, the primary goals for the intro experience should've been (and now will be):
    1. Teach the player how to fly their ship. (radical I know)
    2. Teach the player the core game loop (again.. radical)
    3. Help them decrypt the games UI. (or counterpoint: improve the UI's legibility and understandability.)
    4. Introduce enough of the games concepts that the rest can be learned on the fly.
    In the meantime I'm working on some small, but hopefully impactful improvements, and this build should be pushed off to Testflight tonight (Sydney time) with the hope to release before Thursday this week. I'll post again when it's heading up for those who're in the testflight group.

Tutorial Improvements:
    • Increased font sizes in intro tutorial.
    • Slowed down default tutorial text speed a wee bit.
    • Reduced text for tutorial,
    • Removed some crufty code from the tutorial, should be a little more seamless now.
    • New tutorials in the main menu
      • Really no idea why I didn't do these before launch.. probably time.
      • Appear the first time you approach each page and give some basic explanation of the page
      • Also introduce most of the games concepts and conceits. (I would like to leave some surprises!)
      • Will always be available in a (?) button on each page.
    • Moved tips to a more useful spot on the mission select page.
    Other Improvements
    • Loot manifest UI improvements.
      • moved instructions to top from bottom
      • moved colour change to card background.
    • Loadout UI improvements
      • Added (i) button to each weapon in either the inventory or slot lists. You should be able to quickly get info on an item, not have to dig for it.
      • Changed (x) to a trash icon for clarity.
    • Increased Manifest size to 60.
    • removed bombers from the tutorial runs. Missiles are hard lol.
    • reduced bomber effectiveness.. for now.

Screen Shot 2020-08-03 at 7.37.18 pm.png Screen Shot 2020-08-03 at 7.40.01 pm.png
    manifest.gif

leokamiya likes this.
  5. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    removed bombers from the games tutorials. Missiles are hard lol.

Did you mean from tutorials, or from the game?

6. physicalpariah

Jul 8, 2016
    Indie Game Developer
    tutorial levels, sorry.

7. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    Well, if you can it will be better if same items can be stacked.

Also, I am experiencing a bug where sounds not playing or stuttering. It’s different from the shell shock effect that seem to happen when low on health or after getting hit by a missile.

8. mgambino

mgambino Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    I’m on this game non-stop. Any chance we can get an endless mode of just surviving waves of assault ships? Flying around shooting things is the best part (even if you can’t unlock loot). I like the ship upgrades/ permadeath stuff in the game a lot, but sometimes a guy just wants to mindlessly blow some shit up.

retr0spective and physicalpariah like this.
  9. physicalpariah

Jul 8, 2016
    Indie Game Developer
    I’ll give it a shot!

May or may not be something I’m planning already. Something something daily run.

10. physicalpariah

Jul 8, 2016
    Indie Game Developer
    new testflight build just went up, should be live sometime tomorrow.

11. chengchisang

chengchisang Well-Known Member

May 25, 2018
    Question: how do I know the "health" of my ship?

12. physicalpariah

Jul 8, 2016
    Indie Game Developer
    #92 physicalpariah, Aug 3, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    It was ...again... very poorly described in the tutorial, but top centre, there are two circles, inner is hull, outer is shield.

Screen Shot 2020-08-04 at 7.14.53 am.png

13. mgambino

Aug 13, 2014

What I’ve gathered from this thread and playing the game is that you are very, very good at making games.... tutorials, however...

I would not hire you to write an instruction manual.

14. physicalpariah

Jul 8, 2016
    Indie Game Developer
    Lol, it's definitely a case of hubris. I honestly thought the tutorial was fine, I'd tested it countless times and convinced myself that "yep, it says here's the health bar, that's good enough" was actually good.

I talk about X-wing vs Tie and Wing commander a lot as inspirations, but totally forgot that those games spent *ages* teaching the player how to fly their starships.

I'll have a full plan for the new tutorial live here sometime in the next day or so. All a learning experience as they say.

15. mgambino

Aug 13, 2014

Honestly, I’m mostly just laughing about your trials and tribulations over the tutorial. You managed to put out one of the best shooters on iOS, but seem to be fighting an endless battle with the tutorial.

I’m mostly expecting every major update to make the game more awesome, and the tutorial just a little more broken.

16. physicalpariah

Jul 8, 2016
    Indie Game Developer
    I sincerely hope that's not the case. Like really, I haven't slept in three days over this tutorial thing.

17. physicalpariah

Jul 8, 2016
    Indie Game Developer
    Testflight build with updates to... a lot of stuff.. has just gone live!

18. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Sorry for the call back to a previous topic TL; DR, but aren't audible alerts sounded when I am under attack e.g. tracer missle? I'm still not hearing it.

19. physicalpariah

Jul 8, 2016
    Indie Game Developer
    Yep there's a noise, aaaaannndd yeah its not firing as it should be. I'll fix it for the next patch, sorry!

ColeDaddy likes this.
  20. physicalpariah

Jul 8, 2016
    Indie Game Developer
    Hi all, new build is live on the app store. Still one last issue with playing the tutorial with controller to sort out, so play the tut with touch if possible! Slowly but surely getting there!

To reiterate updates for this build:

Tutorial Improvements:
    • Increased font sizes in intro tutorial.
    • Slowed down default tutorial text speed a wee bit.
    • Reduced text for tutorial,
    • Removed some crufty code from the tutorial, should be a little more seamless now.
    • New tutorials in the main menu
      • Really no idea why I didn't do these before launch.. probably time.
      • Appear the first time you approach each page and give some basic explanation of the page
      • Also introduce most of the games concepts and conceits. (I would like to leave some surprises!)
      • Will always be available in a (?) button on each page.
    • Moved tips to a more useful spot on the mission select page.
    Other Improvements
    • Loot manifest UI improvements.
      • moved instructions to top from bottom
      • moved colour change to card background.
    • Loadout UI improvements
      • Added (i) button to each weapon in either the inventory or slot lists. You should be able to quickly get info on an item, not have to dig for it.
      • Changed (x) to a trash icon for clarity.
    • Increased Manifest size to 60.
    • removed bombers from the tutorial runs. Missiles are hard lol.
    • reduced bomber effectiveness.. for now.