Universal Interloper (by Anchorite)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by physicalpariah, Jul 29, 2020.

1. physicalpariah

physicalpariah Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2016
    Indie Game Developer
  2. mgambino

mgambino Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Thanks for the reply,

I can’t really hear very well (I’m not deaf, but I have serious hearing issues), so that explains dodging if I’m supposed to be listening for a beep. Any chance of a visual indicator?

Also, 30 FPS runs perfectly as does low battery and 60 FPS.

3. physicalpariah

Jul 8, 2016
    Indie Game Developer
    ahh yep, sorry there’s a visual warning indicator to the right of the reticle!

I’ll also be changing the default graphics settings in a future patch so that it doesn’t cook phones outta the box...

4. physicalpariah

Jul 8, 2016
    Indie Game Developer
    Tutorial hotfix patch has gone live overnight. Let me know if this sorts out the issues with the tutorial!

5. physicalpariah

Jul 8, 2016
    Indie Game Developer
    Bah! Looks like I introduced a new bug into the tutorial when I submitted the last fix......

*sighhhhh*

I'm really sorry about this everyone, I'll submit a new build asap!

6. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    I think you should throughly test your tutorial before submitting a new build.
    You can only go so far with providing a bugged tutorial.

7. physicalpariah

Jul 8, 2016
    Indie Game Developer
    Yeah, reasons not to panic submit a build at 2am. Gonna be running a testflight for the next patch.

I really just wanted to sort the problem out as soon as possible as the app will be only be featured for so long...

Either way I’ve now played through the tutorial about 50 times today, across my devices, using controller, touchscreen, landscape, portrait, trying my hardest to break it.. and I think I’ve sorted the issues? I’ll post again with an invite to the hotfix testfligt soon.

8. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    From my experience, a developer testing his/her own code 50 times is equivalent to having someone who never touched the app test once.

I think asking your family/friends test your tutorial is less stressful and efficient.

physicalpariah likes this.
  9. physicalpariah

Jul 8, 2016
    Indie Game Developer
    Mm, it’s a bit of a tough one as I’d really rather not impose on them.

I’ll look into other options though as you’re right, I’m definitely not the best person to be the primary tester for this.

That said, there’s a new version that’s just been submitted for TestFlight approval now!

10. chengchisang

chengchisang Well-Known Member

May 25, 2018
    [This sounds like an ad] I am an ex-developer myself. Personally, I involve in many apps beta on iOS for free, past and present, the latest one is Roll for the Galaxy. Somebody does it on Test Flight, some does it over GitHub. Everybody from time to time needs a fresh pair of eyes. If you need anything, seriously, give me a shout.

Yep, there is a thruster bug in the tutorial.

Don’t worry, I for one will not give you a 1-star review.

11. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    It never hurts to ask, and tomorrow happens to be Sunday. I believe you go to the church like a good Christian you are?

12. physicalpariah

Jul 8, 2016
    Indie Game Developer
    Well if you’re keen on testing, dm me your email and I’ll add you to the private TestFlight

13. physicalpariah

Jul 8, 2016
    Indie Game Developer
    Hi all, Patch Version 1.05 has just gone live.... and thanks to the help from testers, seems to fix the issues surrounding the tutorial. It also adds graphic options to the game to hopefully help tone back any issues regarding heat and performance.

Thanks so much for all the bugreports and help over the weekend!!

Jstorm likes this.
  14. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    Can you increase the storage space? I am already at 30/30. Considering that a successful run grants about 5 items, the current storage limit is very small.

Also, it would be great if you could add an option to remove destroyed enemies. They may look cool, but at the same time become more of a visual clutter when the battle gets longer.

15. retr0spective

retr0spective Well-Known Member

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    Greetings,

I purchased the game yesterday and have really been enjoying the basic gameplay. For me that is the gold standard of a great game.

The following are some concerns:

The Tutorial: Although my version contains the patch which was supposed to fix the tutorial, it gets stuck at the acceleration test. I was forced to close the game and skip the tutorial altogether with the result that I don’t know if I missed any important gameplay information.

The Loadout: My current loadout items are deleted from the game if I die. There was at least one instance where my loadout was deleted when I shut down the game then reopened it at a later time.

Permadeath: I suspect that losing my loot when I die may be related to the role of permadeath with this being a Roguelike game. With most Roguelikes you progress from point A to point B getting stronger as you progress while facing more difficult challenges. In this game, you have the option of taking on more difficult challenges immediately through stage selection. However, if I just died in the attempt and lost my more powerful loot, I don’t seem to have a chance in those stages. Without some kind of permanent power progression and continuity, I seem to be stuck playing the easiest stage over and over again with the option of starting at harder stages being pointless.

(I am playing on iPhone 8+, iOS 13.6)

Take Care,
    -R

16. physicalpariah

Jul 8, 2016
    Indie Game Developer
    The storage space is there so you have to make difficult decisions around which loot you keep, but if it’s coming across as annoying then i’ll see if i can do something in a fun way to increase it (maybe permanent unlocks?)

As for destroyed enemies, that’s a good idea.Though in some senses the wrecked hulls of frigates do become a gameplay element (you can dodge between them to throw missiles or trailing fighters off your trail)

17. physicalpariah

Jul 8, 2016
    Indie Game Developer
    Hi thanks for the feedback!

This tutorial will be the end of me lol. I had several independent testers say it was fine? But ok, clearly something was missed again...

As for the loadout / death mechanic, I consider this less of a Rougelike, and more of a “Looter Shooter” with the closest analogues being Hunt: Showdown and Escape from Tarkov. The key component is to warp out early if you can (and yeah this is briefly explained in the tutorial) to leave with some loot is better than to die with none. So the tensions is then “when do I leave? I think I can take another round.. “ If that intention isnt clear or doesn’t feel quite right, please do let me know!

18. retr0spective

retr0spective Well-Known Member

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    That makes more sense and I seem to have missed out on that instruction entirely. I see the exit button now.

19. physicalpariah

Jul 8, 2016
    Indie Game Developer
    :D just uhh, watch out for interdictor frigates and other nasties

20. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    With certain items/weapons being objectively better over others, it’s not really a difficult decision which item to keep. With my storage maxed out, I am just discarding majority of the loot.

Regarding the use of wreckage to avoid missile, well, it sounds interesting but I don’t see it something that can be intentionally pulled off when I don’t even know which direction the missile is coming from.

Also, I still haven’t figured out the timing to dodge missiles. At the least the alert sound isn’t helping because the pitch of the beep doesn’t seem to be tied with the distance of a missile. Is this something that was covered in the tutorial?