Universal Interloper (by Anchorite)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by physicalpariah, Jul 29, 2020.

1. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    I think showing a video of my expectations of a space combat game speaks better than me describing in text.

Bi88les and adin like this.
  2. physicalpariah

physicalpariah Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2016
    Indie Game Developer
    oh man, Freespace 2.

Ok I think I understand a little better now.

I'll do a proper post on what's going to happen next for Interloper soon, but at this point in time my priority is making the current game as solid as possible (read, not buggy or crashy), and opening it up to tvOS + macOS with iCloud save sync.

My initial plan was also add new missions, loot, and maybe new enemies or environments during this period. Mostly just new content. But seeing that the game has kicked off with a few technical and UX issues, I'll be prioritising those first.

As I say though, when I've had some sleep and a bit of time to strategise, I'll come back with a clear plan for what happens next with the game!

3. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    Just to be clear, I am not asking for a warship vs warship scale scripted game.

I want your game to provide a bit more satisfaction with shooting down enemy fighters, a clearer indication of incoming missiles, some presentation that what my squadrons are doing, and I think the video shows my expectations for all of them.

This video, also from Freespace 2, maybe closer to the scale of your game.

Bi88les likes this.
  4. physicalpariah

Jul 8, 2016
    Indie Game Developer
    Reading you loud and clear! :D

Just uploading a bugfix patch build now, then I'm gonna hit the hay for the night haha.

5. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth

physicalpariah likes this.
  6. physicalpariah

Jul 8, 2016
    Indie Game Developer
    OH FUUDDDDGGGEEE Interloper is featured in the US UK AUS and Canada

Good thing that tutorial bugfix patch has been submitted ?!

Attached Files:

Jstorm, solarnya and adin like this.
  7. physicalpariah

Jul 8, 2016
    Indie Game Developer
    One thing that would be great, could someone try and play the game on two seperate iOS devices, see if the ships Loadout + tutorial state syncs? I’ve been having trouble with that since the game launched (was fine during dev?) but I think it has more to do with my dev devices.

There is a chance that it’s not working as advertised though and I’d really like to get to the bottom of it ASAP if so.

8. redribbon

redribbon Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
    #48 redribbon, Jul 31, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
    looks great. might check it out.

9. physicalpariah

Jul 8, 2016
    Indie Game Developer
    @redribbon Hey! thanks :D Let me know what you think / if there's any issues!

10. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    You need to be more specific how you want this the load out sync to be tested.

For the starter, I have the game installed on both iPhone 8 and iPad. I first started the game on iPhone, played a few runs, then installed on the iPad.

Upon installation, my inventory for the iPad was synced with that of the iPhone, but I haven’t played a run yet on the iPad.

I played a few more runs on iPhone, and ended up with the default load out (AC30s, etc) because I died multiple times in succession.

After reading your post, I checked the inventory on the iPad and they haven’t changed since the installation, which is out of sync with that of the iPhone.

What do you want me to test from this state?

11. physicalpariah

Jul 8, 2016
    Indie Game Developer
    @Jstorm, the intention for sync is that when you finish playing on one device you should be able to pick up where you left off on another..

Definitely sounds like that's not the case here, or rather it is the case.. sometimes.

Cheers, that reflects what I've been getting on my side too. (since launch)
    to be clear: this isn't how it should be working.

12. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    Well, was the syncing working as intended during the beta testing?

Anyways, I killed the Interloper process on the iPad and see if it syncs with the iPhone, but it didn’t. Instead, the iPhone synced with the iPad data, which is supposed to be the old data. That’s even more confusing.

13. physicalpariah

Jul 8, 2016
    Indie Game Developer
    As far as I was aware it was working during the beta period... not sure which button I've pressed but it's messed something up.

And yeah, again, consistent with the experience I've been having so far.

So for now, please try to stick to one device.

14. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Any tips on how to trace where your attacks are originating from? I hear the thuds of impact and see their effects of my deteriorating hull in the upper middle screen, but I'm having difficulty tracing the enemy source so I can counterattack.

Also, I keep rolling left/right and varying my speeds trying to outrun my pursuer but I can neither track, attack or retreat.

15. physicalpariah

Jul 8, 2016
    Indie Game Developer
    My best advice is to pay really close attention to the attacking ships weaponry. Each projectile behaves a little differently and there should be several strategies per weapon category for dealing with them.

The high goal here is to achieve a combat sandbox not dissimilar to what you might find in many action roguelites, with enemies that have broadly categorised attacks overlapping in increasingly difficult ways (i.e. Dead Cells / Nuclear Throne / Risk of Rain) but to transplant that onto a space combat sim (as small limited time / enemy count arenas work well for mobile play)

If you’re still struggling or just want the info on each weapon type and how to deal with it.. it’s in the spoiler here :p

For the vast majority of AI attacks they should be the blue plasma style shots. Usually fired in volleys of at least 1-2 relatively inaccurate, medium damage shots. The intention here is to give you time to dodge when they’re coming at you head on or to see where they’ve come from if not.

There’s four exceptions to plasma shots,

1. Missiles.
    Missiles have a dedicated warning beep (or at least, should @Jstorm noted that it might be broken) and if not dodged or evaded will cause significant damage.
    * Dodge at the right time or use an AMS utility
    2. Lance beams
    Long laser beams that follow predictable patterns and should have very clear sources.
    * Dodge and weave, get in real close or stay at max distance.
    3. Flak
    AI flak is simply a no-damage projectile group that creates a black damage cloud that will do little damage to shields, and medium damage to hulls. It might not be super clear that you’re flying through a flak cloud though?
    * Avoid flying right into it and take flanking routes where possible​

4. Autocannons (likely the issue here)
    AI Interceptor fighters are equipped with annoying autocannon shots that unlike the players, simply pepper your shields and hull with rapid fire low damage shots. They’re trail is also not super clear. My intention for these guys is that when you’re getting hit at such speed to quicky track around to find the aggressive target, but even just writing this up now, I’ll give them tracer rounds so they’re more obvious.
    * Just kill these ships first.​

ColeDaddy likes this.
  16. chengchisang

chengchisang Well-Known Member

May 25, 2018
    Ok, any issue. Skipped the tutorial. When it asks me to “engage the thruster”, I move the slider top and down, but the entry is not checked and I am stacked.

I am sorry to say this, you may need a wider beta testing.

17. physicalpariah

Jul 8, 2016
    Indie Game Developer
    @chengchisang yes sorry about this! There's an update still in review that should solve the tutorial issues, the updated should be up soon!

18. mgambino

mgambino Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    This game is pretty much exactly what I wanted from a space dogfight game designed to be played in quick bursts.

2 comments:

I’m on an iPhone 11 (regular) and an iPad mini 5 and things can get pretty janky a 60 FPS. Is that feature really only for more powerful devices?

Anyway to implement a more obvious way to tell when an enemy ship is attacking or when it’s time to dodge? I can’t seem to ever avoid missiles hitting me.

Anyway, great game.

19. physicalpariah

Jul 8, 2016
    Indie Game Developer
    @mgambino Thanks for the feedback! for jankiness, in the settings menu, if you set powersaver on, then turn on high frame rate, it should perform really nicely (minus some nicer graphics) I'll be looking at putting in more graphics options in the future to allow people to better customise their performance vs fidelity.

As for missiles / enemy attacks, there's been some reports of issues with the warning beep, so I'll be looking into that. but generally, try weaving / throttle controls / dodge timing and the timing of combining those elements.

20. chengchisang

chengchisang Well-Known Member

May 25, 2018
    Update, it is working now after restart. If you need an extra pair of eyes for beta, please let me know.