Universal Interloper (by Anchorite)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by physicalpariah, Jul 29, 2020.

1. TieDyeFriday

TieDyeFriday New Member

Mar 25, 2022
    New player here. At least, I'm trying to be. I can't get past the first stage of the tutorial. It says, "let's start with flight controls", but the only interaction that does anything is tapping on the settings button.

On a 13 pro max, and the latest (not beta) OS. Happy to provide any additional info.

2. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    #442 VirtualBoyFreak, Mar 25, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2022
    Me too, I can't get past the tutorial. I'll try to skip it, but the messages appear very slowly and it seems that sensitivity is sky high. I'm on iPhone 12, latest ios non-beta (15.4) and Spanish language settings. EDIT: nothing, I haven't been able to begin the game. The controls seem broken, I guess that in a similar way as how they broke several months ago, but this time around both in portrait and landscape.

EDIT 2: changing my phone language settings to "English (Australia)" makes the texts appear at normal speed instead of the slowdown version of the Spanish phone language settings, but I still can't make it through the tutorial.

EDIT 3: I've just connected an MFI gamepad, but it doesn't work either. The game is fully broken. I hope the dev sees this, because as of today, I've thrown 7 bucks to the rubbish bin, and it isn't nice...

3. physicalpariah

physicalpariah Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2016
    Indie Game Developer
    Oh no! I’ll get on this tomorrow. I’m so sorry for the issues!

sebgo likes this.
  4. physicalpariah

Jul 8, 2016
    Indie Game Developer
    Yeah just confirmed he issue on my side. Damnit I’m so sorry.

5. physicalpariah

Jul 8, 2016
    Indie Game Developer
    Scratch the tomorrow timeline, I’m working on it now. Sorry about this everyone.

sebgo, decript and VirtualBoyFreak like this.
  6. TieDyeFriday

TieDyeFriday New Member

Mar 25, 2022
    Hehe. All good. We've all been there. "surely *this* bug fix can't affect anything else, right? RIGHT?!"

7. physicalpariah

Jul 8, 2016
    Indie Game Developer
    Nah this one is 100% a failure on my part lol. The tutorial has always been fragile (see the whole history of this thread) and while I did test it, I tested it in the editor only, which I know isn’t the best practice.
    Fortunately I’ve already fixed that issue. Turns out though that a couple others crept in alongside it, so I’m gonna patch them now too.

*sigh*

8. physicalpariah

Jul 8, 2016
    Indie Game Developer
    Ok new iOS and tvOS builds are going up now. Mac build is being a little stubborn so will have to wait until Monday (AEST). Will have to wait for approval before they hit the stores, so ~24-48hrs before the patch is live.

Sorry again for the issues folks!

decript likes this.
  9. physicalpariah

Jul 8, 2016
    Indie Game Developer
    Hi all, patch 1.501 is out for iOS and is coming for tvOS mostly fixing the tutorial experience again. There's still an issue with devices set to languages other than english in the tutorial, but it shouldn't be a total blocker. I'll be working on that (and a host of other bugs) today.

macOS update will come when all of the above is done.

VirtualBoyFreak likes this.
  10. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    I had the tutorial issue with slow messages, but I guess that entering the settings and resuming game got it working. Anyway, you only play tutorials once, so once that slow initial message appeared, I was able to get everything going.

11. physicalpariah

Jul 8, 2016
    Indie Game Developer
    Ok so as usual whenever I rush out a build to fix critical stuff, something else crops up. Looks like there's a couple bugs with Assault and Transport runs right now, and potentially a couple others throughout various runs. I've got another build up and running and being tested right now to fix any of the new issues. Hopefully it'll be submitted tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks so much for your patience everyone!

sebgo likes this.
  12. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Np, nice to see you're actively working to fix everything.

13. physicalpariah

Jul 8, 2016
    Indie Game Developer
    Update 1.501
    Uh whoops
    One issue leads to another and rushing out to get the tutorial fixed meant I accidentally also sent an update live that wasn't quite ready for prime time, leading to a host of new bugs introduced.
    Annnyyyywayyy. They're all updated and live and in theory... long term stability should be better.
    Sorry for the issues! Hopefully this long list of bug fixes helps.

New Features
    • Under the hood improvements to performance for this one.

Updated Features
    • Bullets now hit asteroids and other terrain elements instead of.... passing... through... them

Bugs Squashed:
    • Missile explosions only worked after the first missile fired.
    • Fixed a ui issue where editing load outs after viewing a combat trial would make it impossible to go back to combat trials
    • Fixed an issue that displayed combat trial results after taking a normal run after dying in a combat trial
    • Death screen now properly shows "wounds remaining" again.
    • Fixed a bug that showed ship ability buttons during warp in
    • Fixed a bug where it was possible to get a soft lock on the game when resetting tutorial.
    • Fixed a bug where pressing remap controls button in settings would break the game.
    • Fixed a bug where resetting load out in settings would break the game
    • Fixed a bug that stopped enemies ships from moving or doing anything at all
    • Fixed a bug where capital ships and stations component displays would all show up as "ENGINE"
    • Fixed a bug during transport runs where the game could crash after killing the second transport
    • Fixed a thing where the transport's direction line wouldn't go away after killing the transport.
    • Sometimes when an interdictor died the player would still be locked in combat.
    • There was a bug that stopped the player from inspecting an items details from the manage inventory screen.
    • Portrait layouts of the Raid Complete could be messed up in certain scenarios, and are now not.
    • Didn't completely fix, but definitely worked on the bug with music not quite being zeroed out in settings.
    • Fixed a bug where transports would take a hike way beyond the bounds of the game area.
    • Several issues with Run complete screen sorted out.
    • Some perks were functioning despite not actually being activated.
    • Should have reduced the lag spike on the very first shot after opening the game
    • Fixed a bunch of UI layout issues in a variety of configurations
    • Fixed some non working screen transitions.

VirtualBoyFreak and sebgo like this.
  14. physicalpariah

Jul 8, 2016
    Indie Game Developer
    Performance, Performance, Pariah...?

Given the lack of features in the last update, there's a relatively big one in this update.

ENTER THE PARIAH:
    A light, nimble scout ship that packs a punch, the Pariah has a mini jump drive as it's ability on a fast cooldown, allowing it to quickly manoeuvre around the field sowing chaos and destruction wherever it flies. All this power comes at the cost of a fleet beacon, Pariah's aren't known for roaming in groups.
    There's also another round of hefty performance improvements in this build, with a new look for pilots, changes to ship materials and a slight rework of the game's hangar view. All of this has been edited to bring down its impact on the games performance.
    The bomber has also gotten a bit of love with a new missile salvo ability that you'll have to check out.
    New Features
    • New look for pilots, hangar, and some other bits and bobs.
    • New bindings available for reloading individual weapon groups for controllers.
    • New setting for single click mice
    • Added yaw as a binding for controllers.
    • Most player ships have been renamed
    Updated Features
    • Updated UI + Graphics to hopefully improve performance some.
    • Cleaned up input code a bit
    • Added SFX to bomber missile massacre ability
    • Made ship to ship collisions less janky (especially for the player)
    Bugs Squashed:
    • Mission menu now only animates in once per session.
    • Fixed issues around players targeting capital ships and stations.
    • Fixed mission update banner from appearing wherever it pleased.
    • Fixed missing icon for loot in tutorials
    • Fixed Vulcan idle noise doubling up over time
    • Fixed Pilot animations having slidey feet (sorta)
    • Re-added a visual bar timer for mission time
    • Mission time and loot icons no longer overlap
    • Tutorial health indicator is now properly aligned
    • Fixed a bug where the enemy direction line would hang around when switching to radar mid game
    • removed legacy option for AppleTV Remote (hasn't been supported since pre-launch, but icons would appear on appleTV)
    • Fixed bug that had music always playing in the menu, despite having it's volume set to zero.
    • A metric ton of other tiny tweaks.
    • Fixed a handful of AI issues.

Spudanky!, sebgo and decript like this.
  15. physicalpariah

Jul 8, 2016
    Indie Game Developer
    Hey all, Interloper's going on sale for roughly half price for the next week starting today!

sebgo likes this.
  16. sebgo

sebgo Well-Known Member

It's been a while now since I purchased Interloper but, only until recently, I started playing it. It has some issues, like the controller bindings being potentially screwed and the [MFi controller] "reset settings" button not working, forcing me to uninstall and reinstall the game.

Although I have to say the touch screen settings are fine by default. I tried editting touch controls to relocate the movement stick, but in the end I left the default settings. It felt right leaving it as it is.

I like the fact that I can play short sessions and leave at anytime. As for gameplay, it plays great and laying waste on enemy units is fun. Haptics make it very enjoyable, too. This is the only space dogfighting game I've played and enjoyed, I think, and the 3D low-poly aesthetics look pretty nice.

Will see if I can get more into it. So far, this time, I've played 9 missions, including tutorials.

17. Spudanky!

Spudanky! Member

Aug 30, 2020
    Male
    Yay I can play it on my phone now since the last update! Love how the game has progressed. Looks great on high graphics, plays pretty smooth. Was on 60fps for awhile, had to eventually bump it down to 30fps. But that worked prefect while I was watching a stream on twitch on the same device.

I missed this gameplay! There's nothing else like it on mobile. I appreciate the little details like smoking enemies, so you can quickly identify who you've been tenderizing.

The ships variety is awesome. Various ship abilities is great. I suck at the fast one with no shields, and have stubbornly lost lives n loot in that ship.

Gameplay on a wireless xbox controller is flawless. Tinkering around with controller settings is fun, dialing in sensitivities n what not.

I don't know what YAW instead of Roll does. I haven't gotten remap controls to work, and 'restore' doesn't seem to reset to default controller settings.

Loot management and storage is great. Navigating the menus on controller is better from before but still clumsy at times. Loot identification is still overwhelming for me but I think that's tied to me using a controller instead of the touch screen to read information about each item. I have get use to dying and looting some more. The initial dive into the game loop is a bit daunting, but I'm properly hooked again.

Love the hard work you've been putting into this game. This one shines from all your TLC!

18. sebgo

sebgo Well-Known Member

Imagine you're looking at your ship from above.

Roll: Moving the joystick to either left or right, will make the ship roll on a horizontal axis while still advancing in a straight path. Think of a bullet as it goes through the air.

Yaw: The same left/right input will make the ship turn in either direction, on a vertical axis, without rolling. Pretty much like looking at a car from above.

Give it a try and see which option works best for you. I personally feel more comfy with yawing, but I also think rolling is more fun and sort of advanced.

I have also experienced the remapping controls issues, but I mostly play it with touch input in portrait mode.

19. Spudanky!

Spudanky! Member

Aug 30, 2020
    Male
    I understand the definitions, but there's no difference in mechanics. Weather checked or unchecked, I seem to just be rolling. I only play with controller. The invert axis options seem to be buggy for me as well, sometimes taking effect and sometimes not?

20. sebgo

sebgo Well-Known Member

Oh. That changes things; for a moment, I thought you didn't know the difference (happened to me). Have you tried yawing with touch controls? Just to check whether it's limited to MFi/XBox/PS controllers or also affects your touch input.

Maybe it needs to be fixed, too. I'll check MFi controller settings again tonight, and see if I have the same results with the yaw/roll and invert axis checkbox.