Universal Interloper (by Anchorite)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by physicalpariah, Jul 29, 2020.

1. troyster

troyster Active Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jan 19, 2012
    Thanks!!! Appreciate the response

2. pathogen541

pathogen541 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2016
    So, my game keeps resetting. I’ve played through the tutorial, and been walked through allllll of the menus like 3-4 times now, my pilot selection gets erased and all my loot is lost.... w....t.....f.... cotton?

PLEASE HELP ME!!! I WAS JUST GETTING GOOD AT DOG FIGHTS.

3. brerlappin

brerlappin Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2009
    I've played a bunch of times without the tutorial resetting issue.. but now I may hold off playing until this is resolved.

I did have the tutorial reset issue when I played for the first time on Apple TV and then went back to my iPad/iPhone... not sure if that's related but it could be.

4. physicalpariah

physicalpariah Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2016
    Indie Game Developer
    Release 1.47: The Save Fix.
    oops

Not really much of an update today, more of a oh no that thing was broken better fix it fast patch.

My implementation of iCloud saves has been.. not amazing.. to say the least since launch, and with the last update, it kinda looks like I broke new players altogether.

So after fixing that particular issue, I decided to implement a more detailed save control page for anyone having issues, with an additional little debug feature.

To sum up: sorry. I messed that last one up.

Updated Features:
    • Replaced "Play Tutorial" button in settings with "Save Game Details" which leads to a new page with new options for handling your save state.

Bugs Squashed:
    • You should be able to complete the tutorial and the game should save now?!
    • Maybe fixed the broken discord link?

brerlappin likes this.
  5. physicalpariah

Jul 8, 2016
    Indie Game Developer
    For the record: this all happened because I’m a solo dev working on borrowed time. Last week I implemented a thing to make it so that when you “restart tutorial” you don’t have to replay all the tutorial missions again, and forgot to add a flag that the tutorial was actually completed.

In your regular dev houses you’d have someone checking your code as you deploy it, and a team of testers testing the game under various conditions, etc etc. I tested the game on all platforms, full uninstall, playthrough tut missions, restart tutorial etc. Didn’t get the issue because the flag had been set in debug on my side.

To be clear, this isn’t an excuse, just some context and behind the scenes looks at how and why issues like this happen.

Echoseven and pathogen541 like this.
  6. pathogen541

Jun 19, 2016
    bro, you are rad, your game is rad, your quick turn around in fixing this and explanation are so appreciated, but you don’t owe us a thing my guy!!! What you’ve built is fucking awesome, shit happens, and I’m still gonna be barrel rolling my eye balls out until I no longer can. There is NOTHING like this on the App Store. It’s sick.

Thanks for the quick fix! Have a good day you fabulous human being!

7. Nelsonman

Nelsonman New Member

Apr 7, 2021
    Male
    I definitely agree. The game is very cool and your engagement towards the players here is admirable.
    It's kind of what I imaged the space battles in the Expanse series to be like. Railgun 'n missile frenzy awesomeness!

8. physicalpariah

Jul 8, 2016
    Indie Game Developer
    One day I’ll do something like that properly. Bigger ships piloted by a team of people, non-arcade flight styles with a core focus on singular ship to ship combat. Somewhere between the Expanse and the battle of the Mutara Nebula in The Wrath of Khan.

one day...

Spudanky! likes this.
  9. pathogen541

Jun 19, 2016
    no game that I’ve ever played has made me feel quite like the dog fighting space bad ass that interloper has. There is something so thrilling about weaving in and out of asteroids, chasing obnoxious enemy fighters, and finally squeezing off that last several rounds and watching their ship explode while you fly through the explosion.

..... it’s nuts...... and I love it.

physicalpariah and brerlappin like this.
  10. Nelsonman

Nelsonman New Member

Apr 7, 2021
    Male
    As a matter of fact the gameplay does take me back to Wing Commander prophecy, which had the same punch to it. Engaging battleships and wings of fighters with a barrage of rockets and gunfire while taunting them.

11. Nelsonman

Nelsonman New Member

Apr 7, 2021
    Male
    I can only encourage you... Did you consider adding Multiplayer Coop missions to Interloper?

12. physicalpariah

Jul 8, 2016
    Indie Game Developer
    The initial conversation I had with a coworker that kicked off Interloper was all about a multiplayer co-op space dogfighting game. When I built the first prototype though I knew I couldn’t do multiplayer commercially (I’ve never made a multiplayer game before, let alone maintained one).

One day in another game maybe, but it’s highly unlikely it’ll come to Interloper, sorry!

13. physicalpariah

Jul 8, 2016
    Indie Game Developer
    Been a while, figured I'd share where I'm at on the next update:

First up: I know that on "Pitched Battle" missions, you currently get a bunch of Dreadnoughts. Got a fix coming for that, until then enjoy the free ships!

Second: the next patch will be the long awaited Pilot Update (fix)!!

Screen Shot 2021-04-26 at 8.05.10 pm.png Screen Shot 2021-04-26 at 8.02.56 pm.png

A very WIP look at the new Loadout / Pilot UI.

So the deal is, I never thought you'd be unlocking all the perks *so quickly* (I think someone messaged me < 24hrs after the original pilot update launch saying they'd hit the bug where you couldn't play the game if you'd earned all the perks) In fact I thought it'd take weeks, even months.

Ever since then I've been a little dissatisfied with the state of the Pilot system. It doesn't really feel like much of a "game" as it does just.. lacklustre achievements with, well.. perks.

So! This update will change it up a bit.
    • You get five Perk Slots
    • Wounds Occupy perk slots
    • You have to activate perks (move them from your library into a slot) to use it.
    • Epic perks can be sacrificed to remove a wound!
    • Your current perks (and wounds) are shown on the loadout screen.
    Yes this means you no longer get to use ALL THE PERKS ALL THE TIME, so it's technically a downgrade. What I'm hoping for though is that this adds a little more thinking to the game and makes choosing your loadout a little more interesting.

I'm expecting this should be out in about two weeks time, depending on playtesting and.. literally just finding time to work on it. I'll keep you posted if that's not going to be the case.

14. physicalpariah

Jul 8, 2016
    Indie Game Developer
    Alrighty! this update is out :D

brerlappin likes this.
  15. physicalpariah

Jul 8, 2016
    Indie Game Developer
    Release 1.49: Missile Cosplay
    Headfirst into other ships

It's been a minute hey. In Australia we've been back in lockdown since June, and personally I've had to spend a lot more time looking after my kid than I expected I would be, but any who, here's the long promised Feature Drop #4: Ramming Speed.

This update introduces a new ship: The Sabre. Like the Interloper and Interceptor, it has the standard loadout options of two guns, two utils and a fleet beacon slot, unlike these ships it has a high forward momentum, and slightly slower turning rate, and instead of the dodge ability, it comes with the Ramming Speed ability. It drops reinforced plating over the cockpit, making the ship effectively invulnerable for a short duration whilst simultaneously applying a free afterburner. Any ship that's collided with during this period takes massive damage. It's good in a pinch for finishing Frigates or Capital ship components, or to get through a barrage or even to deal with pesky missiles.

Along with the new ship there's also a trio of new missions: In the beyond. These take place in a new icy environment on the outskirts of the system. Keep an eye out for them in the mission rotations.

Updated Features
    • New Ship: Sabre
    • New Missions
    • Updated Collision models
    • Updated Capital ship AI
    • UI: Dots for ammo per bullet
    • Updated Pilot Select screen
    • Added [REDACTED]
    • Updated some destruction and explosion effects
    • Lance frigates should be a little scarier now
    • Increased CWTH Fighter and Frigate Shield strength
    • Ai now have routine to return to battle if they get yeeted.
    • Targeting Capital ships should be easier when close up now.

Bugs Squashed:
    • Carriers now have a hard limit on total existing spawned ships. Should solve the issue of Battle Group spawning unlimited fighters.
    • Ok definitely certainly fixed the issue where cap ships + frigates randomly jumped around (definitely this time)
    • Drastically fixed a lot of colliders on environments + ships
    • Ability cool downs should now be visible on Desktop / TV / when using controller on mobile.
    • tons more smaller bugs.

Gulash and MetaGonzo like this.
  16. MetaGonzo

MetaGonzo Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
  17. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    So I've searched for ages for Everspace in mobile and suddenly, looking for something completely different (Mfi compatible games...), I've accidentally fallen into this thread. Is this equivalent to a mobile version of Everspace? Also: I've read somewhere you can play with just one thumb, but in other places I've also read that this game has a complex control allowing you to fly freely everywhere. How is this possible? Are there several control configs?

18. physicalpariah

Jul 8, 2016
    Indie Game Developer
    Hey! So by default the game is designed for portrait one handed play, there’s a virtual joystick and a throttle control. Guns fire automatically when a target is in range with a good amount of auto aim. Effectively you fly forward, and have full 6dof movement, and aim at your enemies.

If you want, the option is there to connect an Mfi / Xbox / PS controller. At which point the default experience is a little closer to Everspace / House of the dying Sun. No auto-aim, guns fire based on triggers, left stick / right stick throttle and aim.

19. physicalpariah

Jul 8, 2016
    Indie Game Developer
    Also!

Update 1.5

Combat Trials

The highlight feature of this update is the introduction of the Combat Trial mission type. It'll be a permanent fifth option for missions alongside the regular daily trio, and the Endless run.

Combat Trials will pit you 1v1 against an AI (no, this isn't multiplayer) KRS pilot. Unlike your regular Commonwealth grunts, this enemy will be equipped with the same ships and load outs that you get access to. That means they'll be able to hit you with a railgun from across the map, or dodge out of the way of your shots.

Winning a combat trial gives you a significant loot reward, and keeping a high streak of wins grants you access to more powerful foes, and better loot. Lose, and you go back to the bottom rung.

Alongside the new mission type, there's also a hefty amount of changes to various interface elements, including some quality of life improvements for various screens.

With this update there's also been a ton of under the hood work to make future updates easier ... relatively speaking, including some final steps before implementing localisation, more news on that later.

Also the inventory has been upped from 60 to 400. Enjoy!

New Features

• Combat Trial Mission Type

• Combat Trial "Wireframe" environment

• Accept all / Deny all in game over screen for loot.

• Inventory space increased from 60 to 400.

• New UI graphics for cockpit ui

Updated Features

• iPad Mini 6th gen fullscreen support

• Performance improvements to UI elements across the board.

• Increased minimum level of resolution for lower end iOS devices.

• Moved discord link to main menu

• Many minor improvements across the board.

• Updated credits to include our new tester, and a thanks to a member of the community for helping out with some UI design.

Bugs Squashed:

• An absolute ton of typos have been squashed

• Fixed settings version number so that... it actually shows the right version.

• iPads now have proper UI scaling.... somehow that never got enabled.

• Fixed dodge buttons showing up on the bomber

• ships in the load out screen should properly reflect changes made to them once more.

• Anti Missile systems were completely broken before, are now no longer broken!

• and way more.

Truncana likes this.
  20. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Thanks a lot for the ultra fast reply. Being both casual and pro sounds great to me, it suits both quick 5 minute gaming and longer night sessions with mfi when the children fall asleep. I'll possibly buy it in the weekend, when I have more time to try it. I've seen it's been on offer on some moments, but I feel the €6 price tag is acceptable if the game offers everything it seems to offer according to the 22-page thread and the praises of the people here :)

I also saw the big update that hit yesterday. Even though people tend to prefer MP these days, I feel great that you've implemented vs AI modes. AI are always available to play, while we humans have difficulties to gather together and play, specially with real life family and work obligations.