Universal Interloper (by Anchorite)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by physicalpariah, Jul 29, 2020.

1. troyster

troyster Active Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jan 19, 2012
    Thanks!!! Appreciate the response

2. pathogen541

pathogen541 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2016
    So, my game keeps resetting. I’ve played through the tutorial, and been walked through allllll of the menus like 3-4 times now, my pilot selection gets erased and all my loot is lost.... w....t.....f.... cotton?

PLEASE HELP ME!!! I WAS JUST GETTING GOOD AT DOG FIGHTS.

3. brerlappin

brerlappin Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2009
    I've played a bunch of times without the tutorial resetting issue.. but now I may hold off playing until this is resolved.

I did have the tutorial reset issue when I played for the first time on Apple TV and then went back to my iPad/iPhone... not sure if that's related but it could be.

4. physicalpariah

physicalpariah Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2016
    Indie Game Developer
    Release 1.47: The Save Fix.
    oops

Not really much of an update today, more of a oh no that thing was broken better fix it fast patch.

My implementation of iCloud saves has been.. not amazing.. to say the least since launch, and with the last update, it kinda looks like I broke new players altogether.

So after fixing that particular issue, I decided to implement a more detailed save control page for anyone having issues, with an additional little debug feature.

To sum up: sorry. I messed that last one up.

Updated Features:
    • Replaced "Play Tutorial" button in settings with "Save Game Details" which leads to a new page with new options for handling your save state.

Bugs Squashed:
    • You should be able to complete the tutorial and the game should save now?!
    • Maybe fixed the broken discord link?

brerlappin likes this.
  5. physicalpariah

Jul 8, 2016
    Indie Game Developer
    For the record: this all happened because I’m a solo dev working on borrowed time. Last week I implemented a thing to make it so that when you “restart tutorial” you don’t have to replay all the tutorial missions again, and forgot to add a flag that the tutorial was actually completed.

In your regular dev houses you’d have someone checking your code as you deploy it, and a team of testers testing the game under various conditions, etc etc. I tested the game on all platforms, full uninstall, playthrough tut missions, restart tutorial etc. Didn’t get the issue because the flag had been set in debug on my side.

To be clear, this isn’t an excuse, just some context and behind the scenes looks at how and why issues like this happen.

Echoseven and pathogen541 like this.
  6. pathogen541

Jun 19, 2016
    bro, you are rad, your game is rad, your quick turn around in fixing this and explanation are so appreciated, but you don’t owe us a thing my guy!!! What you’ve built is fucking awesome, shit happens, and I’m still gonna be barrel rolling my eye balls out until I no longer can. There is NOTHING like this on the App Store. It’s sick.

Thanks for the quick fix! Have a good day you fabulous human being!

7. Nelsonman

Nelsonman New Member

Wednesday
    Male
    I definitely agree. The game is very cool and your engagement towards the players here is admirable.
    It's kind of what I imaged the space battles in the Expanse series to be like. Railgun 'n missile frenzy awesomeness!

8. physicalpariah

Jul 8, 2016
    Indie Game Developer
    One day I’ll do something like that properly. Bigger ships piloted by a team of people, non-arcade flight styles with a core focus on singular ship to ship combat. Somewhere between the Expanse and the battle of the Mutara Nebula in The Wrath of Khan.

one day...

Spudanky! likes this.
  9. pathogen541

Jun 19, 2016
    no game that I’ve ever played has made me feel quite like the dog fighting space bad ass that interloper has. There is something so thrilling about weaving in and out of asteroids, chasing obnoxious enemy fighters, and finally squeezing off that last several rounds and watching their ship explode while you fly through the explosion.

..... it’s nuts...... and I love it.

physicalpariah and brerlappin like this.
  10. Nelsonman

Nelsonman New Member

Wednesday
    Male
    As a matter of fact the gameplay does take me back to Wing Commander prophecy, which had the same punch to it. Engaging battleships and wings of fighters with a barrage of rockets and gunfire while taunting them.

11. Nelsonman

Nelsonman New Member

Wednesday
    Male
    I can only encourage you... Did you consider adding Multiplayer Coop missions to Interloper?

12. physicalpariah

Jul 8, 2016
    Indie Game Developer
    The initial conversation I had with a coworker that kicked off Interloper was all about a multiplayer co-op space dogfighting game. When I built the first prototype though I knew I couldn’t do multiplayer commercially (I’ve never made a multiplayer game before, let alone maintained one).

One day in another game maybe, but it’s highly unlikely it’ll come to Interloper, sorry!