Universal Interloper (by Anchorite)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by physicalpariah, Jul 29, 2020.

1. physicalpariah

physicalpariah Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2016
    Indie Game Developer
    @chengchisang Hmm sounds like something bad happened to the tutorial the day before I submitted the last build. Will be working on fixing these issues tonight. (for reference I'm in Sydney, Australia. GMT +10 timezone.)

As for roll/yaw, if you go into settings (top right in game, or bottom left in main menu) you can change it there.

For the time being, anyone encountering tutorial issues: if it bugs out more than once, just skip the tutorial for now! Sorry for the inconvenience!!

2. physicalpariah

Jul 8, 2016
    Indie Game Developer
    Also looks like there *might* be an iCloud save issue. Will be investigating this tonight as well.

3. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    I have a question about how the game progresses. Currently there are 3 missions available, 1 transport run and 2 survival runs. Will these missions change by beating the last wave?

4. physicalpariah

Jul 8, 2016
    Indie Game Developer
    Once you’ve completed the tutorial missions, you get 3 missions daily, one easy, medium and hard.
    There’s currently a roster of nine missions that are picked from randomly.

It’s worth noting that easy and medium should be a decent challenge for a new player whilst hard should really require a couple attempts, and a carefully decided loadout to complete.

5. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    Ah ok. That’s an interesting approach.

Also, as far as I know there is only 1 ship type for the player. Are you planning to add different ship types in the future?

6. physicalpariah

Jul 8, 2016
    Indie Game Developer
    Oh I have plans, yessss i have plans within plans.

Bi88les likes this.
  7. boorch

boorch Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    happydoze.com
    I really liked the game overall, but I don't know where the loot I get goes to. The only loot I was able to equip was the "lancer fleet" and that's it. Other loots like EMP and Missiles etc, I can't even find them in the loadout screen. All I have is the autocannons (which were actually firing constantly in the tutorial like a minigun, but after the first mission they acted more like semi-auto guns with a fire rate of 2 bullets/sec or smt) and the standard utilities like repair etc.

8. physicalpariah

Jul 8, 2016
    Indie Game Developer
    @boorch if you press modify in the loadout screen (bottom right of main menu) on any of the slots, you should see all available options that you’ve collected.

Let me know if that’s not the case though!

9. boorch

boorch Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    happydoze.com
    Nope I don't see anything besides the default gear. I can't even see the lancer fleet I was able to unlock there.

P.S: I'm still at Tutorial Level 4 tho, I don't know if it's relevant.

10. physicalpariah

Jul 8, 2016
    Indie Game Developer
    @boorch. If you go into manage attachments, (bottom right of loadout screen) do you see your items there?

tutorial shouldn’t make a difference past the opening run.

also worth asking: do you use iCloud?

11. boorch

boorch Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    happydoze.com
    #31 boorch, Jul 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
    Nope I don’t see them there as well.

Another feedback unrelated to this: “swipe” seems a bit broken in the “view manifest” screen. Usually I have to swipe 5-6 times to actually “swipe”. I don’t know if there’s an actual swipe animation as well because I instantly see the next loot as if you just disable the gameobject of the previous panel and enabled the new one.

EDIT: I now realized there is in fact a swipe animation but I see maybe 2-3 frames of it.

12. physicalpariah

Jul 8, 2016
    Indie Game Developer
    @boorch that’s odd. What device are you using?

13. boorch

boorch Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    happydoze.com
    #33 boorch, Jul 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
    iPhone XR, I had this short video capture of the gameplay that also shows the inventory after mission completion, I can send it to you if you want.

14. physicalpariah

Jul 8, 2016
    Indie Game Developer
    @boorch that would be fantastic!

15. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    Finished the wave 4 on a medium difficulty survival run, then I was sent straight to the main menu, no rewards.

I didn’t lose my equipment and I was checking the hull/shield bar, so I am fairly sure I didn’t die.

16. physicalpariah

Jul 8, 2016
    Indie Game Developer
    @Jstorm ... eep. That shouldn't happen either.

I'm getting a feeling that a lot of these issues are tied to the save system, which is reliant upon iCloud.
    I've also noticed in some testing tonight that the save sync seems to be taking a lot longer than it was in dev.

I'll look into this a bit more to see what the dealio is. Likely something I've missed.

17. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    Well, don’t worry. I am sure you can fix these issues. As an IT engineer myself, I don’t expect I get to sleep during the 2 days after a new system launch.

18. physicalpariah

Jul 8, 2016
    Indie Game Developer
    @Jstorm, haha yeah. In my day job I work on apps and websites, and same thing. I was hoping that the extended beta period would've helped iron out any major bugs... and I know it did lol.

Honestly I'd be a lot more worried if people were coming here saying it's not fun. Systemic bugs can be fixed, design issues.. they're tougher.

19. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    I am enjoying the game so far, but I do have a few comments.

One thing I am somewhat disappointed with the game is the combat with enemy fighters.
    Since they go down in a hit, and with player’s weapons having quite a range, there is no dogfight which provides a feel that I shot an enemy down. Rather, it’s more of aligning the enemy marker with the crosshair that is not really satisfying. Even after about 10 runs, I still don’t know what enemy fighters look like.

Another problem is the lack of elements that provide the feel of progress, such as a story mode or permanent unlocks.
    Without a clear indication of progress, or a goal to aim for, such as purchasing new ship/equipment, it’s somewhat hard to drive myself into the game for more than a run or two at a time.

Lastly, I am concerned about the mission variations. So far, I played the survival, the transport run, and some sort of a power plant attack. All the mission types felt pretty much the same. There are fighters and beefy targets, I combat them without the need to set target priorities.
    I hope other mission types provide more varied experience.

20. physicalpariah

Jul 8, 2016
    Indie Game Developer
    @Jstorm Thanks for the really solid feedback there. Seriously, appreciate it a lot!

In regards to fighters, the intention is for them to be quick to dispatch. That said, you're right in identifying that there's no real dogfighting going on against your basic Fighters, Interceptors and Bombers.
    Out of curiosity, have you managed to take on Advanced fighters yet? You'll find them in the Hard runs, and they might be a little closer to what you're after. Faster, more agile, more hitpoints, tougher shields and better armaments. If they do end up even giving you an indication of what you're after I'd like to know.

As for Progression, my intention here is totally tied to loot and player skill. The idea being that as you go on, getting better at the game, and getting a wider array of loot you get more chance to experiment with different loadouts.
    I do have plans for something big down the line that I couldn't fit into my original launch timeline, but from a progression perspective would you like to see a kind of system that unlocks new loot drop types after completing x-amount of missions? or something of the like?

Mission variation is a bit tougher to solve. The core premise is wave based combat, and each of the existing mission types provide a little spice on top of that base formula.

Reading between the lines it sounds like you'd really like smarter and tougher AI? As having fighters do more flanking manouvers, sneak attacks, Frigates taking on more protective formations and use their gun arcs to make attacking targets more difficult?
    If that were the case would you prefer there to be fewer, smarter AI?

Can't say for sure I'll promise any of the above changes, but it'd be good to know if thats a general direction that might be apperciated!